Journal of my two satellite dishes going up, beginning to the end

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That was real good of you to contack tech support at Chaparral. I just want it to be the very best and not end up getting some cheapo parts that I'm not going to be satisfied with. I've had a lot of support here in advise from all of you who made their post here and I Thank You Very Much.
Well, I thought if I was going to give advice, it might as well be good advice. :)
Also got a call from a person who saw my ad on Craig's List about getting rid of their Big Dishes. Going to be taking a look at one tomorrow. Wouldn't it be nice if it was a Birdview!
Cool!!

I hope it is too. :D

We got to save those rascals. :cool:

Craig's List Ad

I wrote:
Also got a call from a person who saw my ad on Craig's List about getting rid of their Big Dishes. Going to be taking a look at one tomorrow. Wouldn't it be nice if it was a Birdview!

Cool!!

I hope it is too. :D

We got to save those rascals. :cool:

Hey Fred,
I heard back from the person who had the big dish. First she wrote this: my name is ashley we have a big old im guessing tv satellite dish we want it gone it look tachy please get back to me asap thank you.
Then she wrote: I will call you tomorrow my friend said he seen birdview wrote on it i dont know how big it is.
Now I'm waiting to hear from her and where she lives. This is got to be Great! Pinch me so I can see if it's real!!

Thanks,
Tom
:hungry:

Then she wrote: I will call you tomorrow my friend said he seen birdview wrote on it i dont know how big it is.
Now I'm waiting to hear from her and where she lives. This is got to be Great! Pinch me so I can see if it's real!!
WooHoo!!!!

Man I hope so for you!!! :)

Those things are like finding money buried in your back yard. They are almost priceless for getting satellite signal. :cool:

Hope it is a Birdview!!!

Course you know your existing poles won't work. A Birdview takes a 6" tube or pipe, and getting that mount up high like that will take a rented machine. :)

You will also want to get the original pipe for at least the top part because the bolt in the top of the cap bolts into a plate inside the pipe.

It's a Birdview

Hello everyone,
In her words: "Yeah well it’s a birdview i think that’s sure the name of it I can’t remember it’s nasty as in dirty it’s faded grey or off white im not sure."

Count me excited!!!!:hungry:
Thanks,
Tom:D:):cool:

WooHoo!!!!

Man I hope so for you!!! :)

Those things are like finding money buried in your back yard. They are almost priceless for getting satellite signal. :cool:

Hope it is a Birdview!!!

Course you know your existing poles won't work. A Birdview takes a 6" tube or pipe, and getting that mount up high like that will take a rented machine. :)

You will also want to get the original pipe for at least the top part because the bolt in the top of the cap bolts into a plate inside the pipe.
Fred,
If I do get this Birdview????? How do I check to see if the H and H Mount and gears work? If I get it home and it doesn't work is there any replacement parts for these Birdviews? And How did you take yours down? Trying to cover all the bases before I go and get it. By the sound of it. She is wanting money. How much I think about 400 dollars. If its a birdview is it worth it. She says that someone offered her 500 dollars. Is this going to be another one that bites the dust for me???? I asked for photo's of it.
I'll post it here.

Thanks,
Tom
:)

If I do get this Birdview????? How do I check to see if the H and H Mount and gears work?
Take a battery charger with you and hook to the 2 big motor wires and see if it moves.
If I get it home and it doesn't work is there any replacement parts for these Birdviews?
I doubt that there will be a problem with the gears. If the motor doesn't work for some reason, you can get it rebuilt by Fasco/Von Weise.
And How did you take yours down?
I start at the feed-horn.
Take the plastic cover off the gear box so you can see what is going on. Move the dish all the way over to it's West side and watch to not let the gear hit the back of the dish. Take the feed-horn off, take the scaler off, unscrew the support arms out of the dish.

Move the dish back to center and take the 12 bolts that hold the reflector to the mount loose and remove all but a couple on the top and bottom. Get your help to hold the reflector while the last 4 bolts are removed.

Loosen the 3 bolts that hold the cap to the mast. Take the top center 1-1/8" bolt out, and two guys lift the mount off the pole and set it on the ground.

Then either cut the pole off at the ground level, or dig it out. :eek:

Load up and come home.
Trying to cover all the bases before I go and get it. By the sound of it. She is wanting money. How much I think about 400 dollars. If its a birdview is it worth it. She says that someone offered her 500 dollars.
She is smoking crack. Just trying to get what she can out of you.

Offer $25.00 cash or maybe $50.00 and explain to her that is all she would get from salvaging it. Above you said she just wants it out of there. Don't be too excited or anxious, and you might have to walk away for a while.
Is this going to be another one that bites the dust for me????
That depends on how you handle it. BTW, don't drive up in your new truck. Borrow a broken down something to go see her in.

Good luck! :)

Offer $25.00 cash or maybe $50.00 and explain to her that is all she would get from salvaging it..

man are you crazy?? offer someone 25$ - 50$ cash for it? and there asking 400$ for it? that's asking to get a slap in the face? :rolleyes: even tho i wouldnt give you anything for any of them. i'd ask if she wanted to let it go if you take it down for free but no way i'd pay for it? LOL

man are you crazy?? offer someone 25$ - 50$ cash for it? and there asking 400$ for it? that's asking to get a slap in the face?
We each handle situations in our own way, and I have never had anyone offer to slap me in the face. Course it might be because I am a little over 6 foot tall and weigh around 280 lbs. :)

That's why I have said again and again, that I have a gift for getting dishes free. :cool:

There's nothing wrong with bringing people to the reality of the situation. If she called around and asked about having it removed, it would cost her a minimum of $150.00.

LOL. ya tell me about it. some women are like that...i'd rather someone get it than it just go to the scrap well maybe you should give your good skills to ol tom and maybe he will get a free dish :D good luck either way

We each handle situations in our own way, and I have never had anyone offer to slap me in the face. Course it might be because I am a little over 6 foot tall and weigh around 280 lbs. :)

That's why I have said again and again, that I have a gift for getting dishes free. :cool:

There's nothing wrong with bringing people to the reality of the situation. If she called around and asked about having it removed, it would cost her a minimum of $150.00.

Advice on Birdview Dish

Take a battery charger with you and hook to the 2 big motor wires and see if it moves.

I doubt that there will be a problem with the gears. If the motor doesn't work for some reason, you can get it rebuilt by Fasco/Von Weise.
Thanks for the idea I will. Its also good to know that they can be rebuilt too.
I start at the feed-horn.
Take the plastic cover off the gear box so you can see what is going on. Move the dish all the way over to it's West side and watch to not let the gear hit the back of the dish. Take the feed-horn off, take the scaler off, unscrew the support arms out of the dish.

Move the dish back to center and take the 12 bolts that hold the reflector to the mount loose and remove all but a couple on the top and bottom. Get your help to hold the reflector while the last 4 bolts are removed.

Loosen the 3 bolts that hold the cap to the mast. Take the top center 1-1/8" bolt out, and two guys lift the mount off the pole and set it on the ground.

Then either cut the pole off at the ground level, or dig it out. :eek:

Load up and come home.
Thank you I knew that looking at the photo's you have taken that tearing it down would be a little different. Thanks for your information ot it.

She is smoking crack. Just trying to get what she can out of you.

Offer $25.00 cash or maybe $50.00 and explain to her that is all she would get from salvaging it. Above you said she just wants it out of there. Don't be too excited or anxious, and you might have to walk away for a while.
I don't know about the smoking of the crack part? I did tell her that some people have to pay to have them removed and that I would do that without charging her. She was pretty adamant and unyielding when it came to free and $0.00 to $50 bucks. Its better that I just enclose my conversation with her.

Conversation between Ashley and myself.

Ashley: yeah well it’s a birdview I think that’s the name of it I cant remember it’s nasty as in dirty it’s faded grey or off white im sure.
thomas34461usa: OK thanks Ashley; I can come down there and pick it up. What is your address there and is that the address where the dish is at? If possible do you have any photos of it? While I'm at it do you still have the receiver for it to make it turn? Thanks. What is your phone number I would be happy to call you at a time that would work for you? Thanks Ashley.
Ashley: my mom wants to know how much are you willing to give us for it.
thomas34461usa: Do you have photo's of it?
Ashley: no I can take some later maybe tomorrow
thomas34461usa : Well I don't know how much I would be willing to pay for it without seeing it. You say it's nasty. Some people have to pay $200 just to get rid of an old dish. If your Mother wants to sell it.... she must have a price in mind?
Ashley: it’s not broken that I can see I mean it’s needs a bath! Lol
thomas34461usa : OK that’s good. Last time I went to see about a dish and the person told me it was in great shape...it was hit by a tractor truck! Lol
Ashley: she said maybe 500 dollars cause we are trying to fix up the house and some guy already called us and offered us that cause he is into that sorta dish
thomas34461usa : Well I don't know if I could go that much now. I would love to have it if it is a birdview
Ashley: she said she cant go any lower either you want it or not she will just take it off with a backhoe that our dad owns.

(Note: I wish you were able to see my face when I read that post!!:eek:)

thomas34461usa : Maybe I could pay her the rest the following month?
Ashley: she said no cant do that. She wants the money up front. She said 400 is the bottom dollar she said she can get more out of it from the other person if he wants it
thomas34461usa : Tell her not to get upset! Please don't take a backhoe to it. That won't do any of us any good. I will have to see what I can come with but I do want it, OK???
thomas34461usa: $400 I can do!!!!
Ashley: it is faded white she said and has a big bucket looking thing in the center. She said that’s fine 400 and she’s not trying to be rude it sounds different when you type.
thomas34461usa: I know it can be hard to read and not put in feelings into it. I didn’t think she was rude. I didn't want her to think I was trying to take advantage either.
Ashley: she said 400$ pictures will come tomorrow and I will talk to you lata playa bye

End of conversation between Ashley and myself.

That depends on how you handle it. BTW, don't drive up in your new truck. Borrow a broken down something to go see her in.

Good luck! :)
I'll try but I might not be able to get an older looking beat up truck to use????
Thanks,
Tom
:D

Well it sounds to me like you are stuck at $400.00 for it.

I wouldn't pay that for it. First of all, I couldn't afford it at that price, and secondly, she obviously has figured out she has someone who will pay that for it.

The threats about the backhoe and the other guy offering money may be real or just threats. Either way, she has got you hooked.

You just have to make up your mind whether you will pay that much for it or walk away and wait for six months or a year.

I wouldn't pay anything until I could see it myself, and take pictures myself, and hook up something to see if it will even work.

That way you will know where it is, you will find out if the motor works, whether there is any damage etc.

Also take cash money with you and when you are ready to deal, make the offer you are willing to live with and hold out the money spread out so she can see the green stuff.

If she doesn't take it, thank them, and walk away.

Think about this, they are not going to destroy something that might net them at least $100.00 or more, unless they are totally stupid.

Also, if the other guy is willing to give them $500.00, why isn't it gone?

When you hold out the money don't say another word. The first one who talks loses. :)

Birdview dish

Well it sounds to me like you are stuck at $400.00 for it.

I wouldn't pay that for it. First of all, I couldn't afford it at that price, and secondly, she obviously has figured out she has someone who will pay that for it.

The threats about the backhoe and the other guy offering money may be real or just threats. Either way, she has got you hooked.

You just have to make up your mind whether you will pay that much for it or walk away and wait for six months or a year.

I wouldn't pay anything until I could see it myself, and take pictures myself, and hook up something to see if it will even work.

That way you will know where it is, you will find out if the motor works, whether there is any damage etc.

Also take cash money with you and when you are ready to deal, make the offer you are willing to live with and hold out the money spread out so she can see the green stuff.

If she doesn't take it, thank them, and walk away.

Think about this, they are not going to destroy something that might net them at least $100.00 or more, unless they are totally stupid.

Also, if the other guy is willing to give them $500.00, why isn't it gone?

When you hold out the money don't say another word. The first one who talks loses. :)

Hello Everyone,
Well this is what I know so far. It is a Birdview. Only one photo taken that was shown to me. The hardest I ever had to talk to another human being in my life! I may get away from paying $400 dollars for it. I told her that she must have me confused with Donald Trump. I'm not a rich man. I'll pay you what I can. Refused to give me an address where it’s at. I would have put the address in and taken a look at it using MS Virtual Earth. I have no telephone number for these people. The person was writing for her Mother and from the way she was talking and giving me all this jive lingo and sounding like Hip Hop. It was real hard! At one time I almost told her to stick it, no one calls me Boy! :shh Can hardly wait to see them in person!

Anyway she gave me one photo like I said earlier. Here it is. Wow what a test of endurance! I’m going to continue with trying to get the deal done and get the address tomorrow. Lord give me Strength! And everyone, keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks,
Tom:eek:

birdview_miami1.jpg

Feedback is most welcome

I haven't heard from her in two days. Don't know what is going on with them. They wouldn't give any phone numbers or address. Loss for words now, sure wish I heard something, even from all of you. Your feedback is most welcome
Tom

Sound like when you were reluctant to give her 400 dollars she may not be interested in letting it go. I asked about an old mesh dish and the people thought I wanted it to take in for scrap.

I told them I was a hobbyist and I make stuff out of mesh dishes. They didn't believe me.
Oh well.

In some areas of Seattle, where I used to work, you might show up in a nice truck with tools and cash and end up without tools, truck or cash - you would only have a nasty headache. This one gives me a HUGE red flag.
Keep looking for real dish. This sounds like a lead pipe special!

may not be interested in letting it go

Sound like when you were reluctant to give her 400 dollars she may not be interested in letting it go. I asked about an old mesh dish and the people thought I wanted it to take in for scrap.

I told them I was a hobbyist and I make stuff out of mesh dishes. They didn't believe me.
Oh well.
Thanks Rob,
Well I didn't really say I would end at $400.00. I remember saying that if I got there to take a look at it in persom I would get a much better picture of it and might be able to go higher. Never saying how much so I wouldn't be commited to that price. They are real hard people to talk to for sure. Hoping for the best.

Thanks,
Tom
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)