Just got DTV & The HR 15's DVR..........

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Aug 13, 2007
I'm new here so take it easy, I've just signed up recently to DTV and have a ?? about the DVR. I've read some really bad feed back on the HR 15's off of customer reviews from different store outlets. I'm kind of concerned as my DVR now from Time Warner works fine. Is the talk of them being really bad, just talk or is it somewhat founded??

Thanks, John

From what I have read, the R15s are much better than they were when firsted released. I think that is a general rule of thumb since D* went with their own receiver/software combo. The HR20 was the same way from what I have seen. I finally got an HR20, after it seemed a lot of bugs were worked out since last year, when it was first released.

I went from the R10/HR10-250 so I personally passed on the R15. I actually got the HR20 the moment it was released last year and it has come a loooooong way. Directv has really done a stand up job of fixing and improving things on that unit. Given the Living on the Edge releases and feedback I have read on the R15, it too has received some tender loving care and is a much better unit today then its release as well.

Thanks guys, I feel a little more at ease now. I was reading stuff like missed recordings, pixelating pics, remote slow and pic freezing all together. My wife loves (Passions) day time soap opera and that's part of the reason for the switch. Although my wife has to record on our DVR everday which has no problems, if it started having hick-ups (R15) then I would catch some flack (LOL).

Thanks again, John

John, I'd recommend keeping an eye on the "living on the edge" section of this site for early release software release for the R15. The last few releases have made the box much better plus added some new features, like having to press the guide buton only once and the new white GUI.

You mentioned looking out for software releases? How do I download the releases?? Like I said, I'm new so this is all new to me. Also will the R15 need all of the software updates as soon as I get it?? Thanks again, John

You mentioned looking out for software releases? How do I download the releases?? Like I said, I'm new so this is all new to me. Also will the R15 need all of the software updates as soon as I get it?? Thanks again, John

This link, http://www.satelliteguys.us/living-edge/100340-how-force-download-living-edge-release.html says how to do it. You must also check thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/living-edge/100339-read-first-living-edge-risks-guidelines.html for what these release are and the rules of the game.

The prerelease software usually is avilable on Friday/Saturday nights between 11PM and 2AM eastern time. Not all set top boxes have something every weekend, you need to keep an eye on the living on the edge section for announcements on what's available and what is being changed in the release.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)