Kindle e-reader owner's thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Got a nice smart-cover-like case for the Kindle Fire HDX. It turns the screen on and off, but alas, only gets you to the stupid lock screen. Now, if I spend the $15 to eliminate the ads, does that mean I can also disable the lock-screen entirely?

I do not plan to "root" this device, so if that is the solution, it is not in the works. I'm not trying to create a 7" tablet experience, just would like to eliminate that one screen.

New Kindle Voyage e-reader announced the other day. I decided I've been a good boy this year and pre-ordered myself an early Christmas present. ;)

Amazon product ASIN B00IOY8XWQ
My friend is trying to talk me into getting one of these so that she can inherit my paper white. But recently, most of my reading has been on iPhone and iPad. I imagine the new 6+ will continue, if not increase, that trend. So I can't see this in my near future... Even if it is an excellent refresh. I just tend to use the device I have on me; and 9 times out of 10, that's not my kindle.

My friend is trying to talk me into getting one of these so that she can inherit my paper white. But recently, most of my reading has been on iPhone and iPad. I imagine the new 6+ will continue, if not increase, that trend. So I can't see this in my near future... Even if it is an excellent refresh. I just tend to use the device I have on me; and 9 times out of 10, that's not my kindle.

I spend several hours most days reading on my Kindle and have it with me most of the time. I've never really gotten into reading on my iPad, not sure why. I skipped the previous upgrade to the second generation paperwhite so I'm looking forward to the new one.

I spend several hours most days reading on my Kindle and have it with me most of the time. I've never really gotten into reading on my iPad, not sure why. I skipped the previous upgrade to the second generation paperwhite so I'm looking forward to the new one.

I used the Kindle app on iPad for 2 years, and read hundreds of books on it, but I found myself always distracted by every other notification that came through. So when I got a Kindle Fire HDX, I did not put email, social, or sat guys on it, and it has been a wonderful reading device.

So, the new Kindle OS 4 dropped on my Fire HDX. Not sure what I think of it. It is ok, but the font changes will take a while, and the lock-screen swipe is hard to see. Hopefully the new smart battery saver for wifi will actually work.

I saw that. This is the first I have seen marketing of the HDX 7 in a while. They have really been pushing it side for the lower resolution Fire HDs. While the 4G would be nice, the price is still pretty steep even at 1/2 off.

For the last year I have been doing most of my e-book reading on a Kindle Fire HDX. I got it mostly out of curiosity, and generally like it. I never any social media on it, nor satellite guys; I just used it as an e-book reader, and a device for Amazon video content. But over the year I have been frustrated often by how e-books format on the Fire. The screen is larger, but it is not as wide as the standard 6" kindles. I routinely find myself having to change font sizes and margins, because books are poorly programmed for ebooks; and I have done testing, comparing the same book on my Kindle 3G keyboard, and the Kindle App on the iPad. It happens more and more often, and I am almost always happiest with the formatting on the e-ink devices (although the iPad mini does a good job, given its rather larger width for an e-reader.

But I was drawn to the new Kindle Voyage, and when I found one on open-box (they are hard to find, Amazon routinely is a few weeks out on them), I bought it. The Voyage looks pretty much like a fire, albeit smaller. Same dark black bevel, and arched back. The e-ink is 300ppi, which compares to 212 on the Kindle paperweight. The Fire HDX is 323 ppi. The text is incredibly crisp. And with a backlit e-ink screen, it is easy on the eyes. The Voyage fits well in the hands, and has a new haptic touch control on both edges of the device to forward and go back a page (although you can still just swipe or touch the text areas to do the same. It is the paperweight on steroids.

The reviews have been universally good; it is the single best e-reader available, but it comes at a steep price. $199 (as opposed to $119 for a paperwhite. It weighs virtually nothing, and I think I will be very happy with it. I have yet to decide whether to sell my Fire HDX. That still is a nice Amazon tablet - but I generally prefer my iPad Mini 3 for tablet work.

Really like my Voyage. I think the addition of the 'buttons' made it complete, compared to the Paperwhite. I do think the battery life is a little less than the Paperwhite. Be careful when shopping for cases, the first one I got didn't wake or sleep the Voyage automatically. The Origami cover is kinda neat but ended up back with a regular folio style case.

I did buy the Fire HDX as mentioned up thread. Read on it for a couple days but I just prefer e-ink for reading. Put the Harmony and Insteon apps on it and it is a part time remote in the living room.

Really like my Voyage. I think the addition of the 'buttons' made it complete, compared to the Paperwhite. I do think the battery life is a little less than the Paperwhite. Be careful when shopping for cases, the first one I got didn't wake or sleep the Voyage automatically. The Origami cover is kinda neat but ended up back with a regular folio style case.

I did buy the Fire HDX as mentioned up thread. Read on it for a couple days but I just prefer e-ink for reading. Put the Harmony and Insteon apps on it and it is a part time remote in the living room.

The buttons are nice - more elegant than than the ones on the early generation Kindles, but also take some time to get used to.

I had read on an iPad for a few years so I was used to reading on a LCD, but for me it was the form factor that felt wrong. I think I'll be very happy with the voyage. They have come a LONG way with e-ink. Very impressive.