Kindle e-reader owner's thread

I'm considering trading in my galaxy tab 2 7" for a fire HD. Any good deals out there?

Amazon accidentally reveals new Kindle Paperwhite and September 30th release date

The new Kindle Paperwhite — scheduled to begin shipping September 30th — features more iterative improvements like a "new display technology" with better contrast, an improved lighting setup, and more accurate touch response.

Source & More: theverge.com

this was an accidental reveal - they did not plan to announce it today. BUT I noticed on the Kindle page that the Kindle Keyboard model is NOW gone. I had best take good care of my Kindle 3G. That is fast becoming a relic. I have the Paperwhite, but love the 3G model, not because of the keyboard, but because of the four buttons to advance pages.

I thought the Keyboard had been gone for a while. I looked a few months ago and I couldn't find any on Amazon's site. I still have one as a 'backup'.

Love my Paperwhite, interested to see what the new model looks like.

I thought the Keyboard had been gone for a while. I looked a few months ago and I couldn't find any on Amazon's site. I still have one as a 'backup'.

Love my Paperwhite, interested to see what the new model looks like.

perhaps it has. I never noticed before today.

So, I have been a Kindle user since the Kindle 2, I think I own 400+ books. I have had the Kindle 2, the Kindle 3G (a couple of them), the keyboard-less Kindle (for my kid), and a Kindle Paperwhite. Of course in the past two years, I have done far more reading on the Kindle App for iPad (2 and then retina-display iPad 3). The actual kindle e-reader was limited to outside use in summer, and occasional use on trips. While the touch screen paperwhite was good, it wasn't quite all that impressive.

when the Kindle Fire came out I thought it was intriguing, but seemed un-necessary with an iPad; and the sub-retina display on the first ones failed to impress me. (It is amazing how once you use a retina display, you see PIXELS on anything else). Yet the Fire still seemed interesting. And the Fire HD and then HDX seemed to over-come the PIXEL issue. I made the mistake of playing with one in Best Buy. I could immediately see how the redesign of the Kindle iPad app was really tied to the the design of the Kindle app on the Fire. I was curious. And then I had about $200 in Amazon gift cards after christmas...

Yup, I bought a 7" Kindle Fire HDX, spent a little extra for the 32GB model. It came on Friday. Two days later, I have the following reflections. As a 7" tablet, it has all the failings that I found with all 7" tablets; but as a Kindle e-reader, it is very nice. I like the size, the easy access to my Prime Video (for the gym), The screen resolution is stunning. Definitely a locked-down version of Android, but given its intended usage and audience, it is pretty decent.

I decided I would not put social media (other than log-in to Good reads), or email on it. My iPad is my tablet. This is a reader. and by using it as such, I will avoid all the distractions that reading on the iPad brings. i.e., constant notifications. So far, it is quite enjoyable. Feels like a Kindle, (granted, I had no interest in the iPad-sized 8.9" model). Was it worth the price? Time will tell. But it was Christmas, and I wanted a new toy ;) :D

Isn't the Kindle Fire a bit of a waste if you only ready black and white material? I have both an iPad Air and a Kindle Paperwhite. I've never been tempted. So far at least... ;)

I have become quite used to the LCD screen (via iPad) for reading (in black on white) and at night, prefer it to the paperwhite's backlit screen, or having to have a lamp on to read. Plus, I was equally pulled by the video capabilities for the gym. yeah, the iPad can do the same, but the 7" screen is nicer to carry around.

Aw shucks, I can't justify the purchase, I just wanted it, and was lured by two years of commercials. ;) :D