Kindle e-reader owner's thread

I got the $79 Kindle (K4?) for Christmas from my Grandma. Last present I'll ever get from her. I love it. I bought it a pink gel skin for it. I bought The Hunger Games trilogy and have read that twice so far. My library has a crappy selection of Kindle books to borrow. I like downloading previews for books before I decide to buy. There are so many I want, I have to pace myself.

One thing I had to do was put a password on mine. Second or third day I had it, Colby got ahold of it and bought a $30 voucher for some teeth whitening service. :D

HIFI's thinking about buying me a Fire cuz my sister got one for Christmas and everyone was obviously more impressed with it than with mine. (I was a little jealous, but have since gotten over it. ;) ) I haven't decided if I want a Fire. Mine is special to me.

Nice story.

Did you email Amazon for a refund on the $30 teeth whitening thing? They are good with stuff like that.

Actually I called. They refunded it right then and there. The CSR was great, very nice. She said they had been having that issue and were going to make it harder to purchase things from the ads instead of a one-click buy.

Actually I called. They refunded it right then and there. The CSR was great, very nice. She said they had been having that issue and were going to make it harder to purchase things from the ads instead of a one-click buy.

Its always been an issue with the kindle, when you think about how easy it is in the kindle store to inadvertently buy a book, but they also have the bought by mistake link, which is very nice. I've used it a few times.

I'm reading The Hunger Games Trilogy on both of my kindles and my kindle app on my phone. The problem I'm hoping someone can help me with is that none of them want to sync to the furthest page read of my current time thru. Every time I want to sync it takes me to the very last page of the entire book, on every device. Most of the time, I read on my regular K4. But then I'll pick up my Fire for a game, and go back to the book, and tell it to sync, and it goes to the last page, even though I'm not on the last page. All of my kindles are connected to wifi. What am I doing wrong?

I'm reading The Hunger Games Trilogy on both of my kindles and my kindle app on my phone. The problem I'm hoping someone can help me with is that none of them want to sync to the furthest page read of my current time thru. Every time I want to sync it takes me to the very last page of the entire book, on every device. Most of the time, I read on my regular K4. But then I'll pick up my Fire for a game, and go back to the book, and tell it to sync, and it goes to the last page, even though I'm not on the last page. All of my kindles are connected to wifi. What am I doing wrong?

At some point, on one of those devices, you went to the back of the book, and it thinks thats where you are. Not sure how to un-do that.

Try this:
On ALL of your devices that use your Kindle account, open the book, go to the first page or TOC, and then click Home and synchronize through the menu.
Make sure to do this on EVERY device where you opened this book at least once. I think that should reset the "furthest page" to the first one. Give it a try and let us know if it worked.

Try this:
On ALL of your devices that use your Kindle account, open the book, go to the first page or TOC, and then click Home and synchronize through the menu.
Make sure to do this on EVERY device where you opened this book at least once. I think that should reset the "furthest page" to the first one. Give it a try and let us know if it worked.
I tried this a few times today. Meant to post back here earlier. It is still going to the end of the book. I guess it's not a big deal. I think I'll just designate each kindle to a different book. Maybe if I do that, I can get past my fixation on The Hunger Games. :D Thanks though!

Actually I known as. They credited it right then and there. The CSR was excellent, very awesome. She said they had been having that problem and were going to create it more complicated to buy elements from the ads instead of a one-click buy.

Magic eraser will clean almost anything.
Yeah but I hate how they wear out so quickly. The upstairs of my house which is basically the baby's room/playroom has crayon on various walls and it will take I'm guessing at least 6 of those things to clean it up, not to mention you really need to push hard on them to get the stuff off.

Just remember that the Magic Eraser is essentially a fine sandpaper. It may get stuff off, but will also remove paint from the wall, gel coat from your car, protectant from leather, etc. Use it sparingly.

I bought the ad supported 3G kindle with a keyboard last year. I love the battery life and ability to read in the sun. I have no interest in the Kindle fire or Kindle touch. If I wanted apps and web browsing I would buy an iPad. I already have an iPhone for that and I just want a reading device that is as close to reading a real book as possible. I like the forward and back buttons on the side and have no use for a touch screen E-Ink device or Fire. I have been using this one for over a year now and as long as it doesn't break or something I don't see any reason to upgrade for the next several years.

My sister also has the same version as mine without the ads. We are not on the same account but I like the ability to lend books to each other. We have done that several times. I also think I got the better deal buying the ad supported device. The ads don't bother me in the slightest. They only show when I'm not using the device so why would I care if they are there. They are non-intrusive and once you actually open a book there is no difference between the two. If the ad free version cycled through cover art of books you have purchased I think it would be cool. The fact that they just cycle through generic pictures of books I didn't buy makes me not care about seeing that over an ad.

My local library also has a large selection of Kindle books. It was really cool of Amazon to allow us to get free library books on these devices. My local library is part of a network of about 12 other libraries in my county. In some ways this is great because through your online account you can request a book that is at any of these libraries and they deliver and hold it at your local one for free. They treat it as one pool of media across all branches. This means that basically everything I have ever tried to borrow including books, comics, DVDs and Blurays are available. It also means that popular books can be hard to get.

Take Game of Thrones (book not DVD) for instance. I have been on the waiting list for about a week now. I am currently 33 out of 34 in line for 6 copies. One says missing and paid and two others are past due. On the bright side it shows that they are waiting on 7 new copies they ordered on June 15th. I have also been on the kindle edition waiting list for the same amount of time. I am currently 17th out of 19 with 5 copies. The advantage to Kindle users is that there are less people placing holds on the same book. The disadvantage is that they only allow us to check kindle books out for 7 days for some reason while regular books are something like 30 days. You can also renew regular books if you aren't finished. Kindle books cannot be renewed so you have to go back to the end of the line if you aren't able to finish in 7 days and wait all over again. Now I rarely finish a book in 7 days and have no chance with a 819 page book like Game of Thrones. The library feature is great for books that are older or less popular because you can just check them out again and it remembers your place.

I am going on a fly in fishing trip in Northern Ontario, Canada in two weeks where you fly a bush plane about 100 miles away from the closest people. There is nothing to do but drink, fish, play cards with the guys, and read books while enjoying the nature. This is about the only time I can finish several books in a week. At just $8.99 for the kindle I will definitely be buying Game of Thrones for my trip if it isn't my turn yet. Either way I will be doing a lot of reading on my kindle.

The disadvantage is that they only allow us to check kindle books out for 7 days
I have a 2nd gen 3g kindle keyboard. I borrow from the library. I do not believe that my kindle has a built in clock/calendar when not connected to the internet. If the wireless 3g is turned off, the kindle has no clue that 7 or more days have passed until you connect again.

avg1joe said:
I have a 2nd gen 3g kindle keyboard. I borrow from the library. I do not believe that my kindle has a built in clock/calendar when not connected to the internet. If the wireless 3g is turned off, the kindle has no clue that 7 or more days have passed until you connect again.

Nice. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Amazon updated the Kindle iPad app; changed the bottom of the screen to hide the location/page number info by default, and stretched out the space on the screen to put more text on the screen, with smaller margins. Annoys the heck out of me. One "upgrade" I wish I could undo.

Will be firing up my Kindle 3G for vacation on the beach next week. :)