Kindle e-reader owner's thread

Discussion in 'Computers and Gadgets' started by Ilya, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Foxbat

Foxbat Addicted to new HW
    Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

2. *** WELCOME TO SATELLITEGUYS! ***
  3. Juan

Juan Supporting Founder
    Supporting Founder

You really didn't need ad free..ads are only on the first screen

4. klang

klang SatelliteGuys Pro
    Lifetime Supporter

I've got that Amazon cover, surprised they seem to be dropping it. It is not a bad cover but it only protects the screen, not the body of the Oasis. Not good if you were to drop it. I also have the Fintie leather cover in Foxbat's link. It is OK. It does protect he entire body of the Oasis. The leather does feel kinda cheap but for only $10 what can you do?

5. EarDemon

EarDemon SatelliteGuys Pro

Yes, I know. But I can’t stand advertising/marketing in any form, paying a onetime fee of $20 not to see ads no matter how unobtrusive is worth it to me. I love how Amazon calls it ‘Special offers’, another example of psychological marketing BS. ‘With special offers’ sounds a lot better than ‘ads on home screen’. Just like you never see the word ‘contract’, the phrase ‘service agreement’ sounds prettier and is more positive sounding.

Yes, thanks Foxbot. I saw this post earlier when I was at work and looked real quick and ordered the Fintie as well. I didn't see that one in my initial search. Since it's only $10, I'll use it unless something better comes along. I don't mind spending $30-50 on a really nice case. I don't care for tablets at all, but for the tablets I owned, I always bought nicer leather portfolio style cases.

6. rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh Hardly Normal
    Supporting Founder

Interesting that they have discontinued the official covers for the Oasis 2017, but owning them, I am not altogether surprised. The magnet, as reviews point out, isn't super strong. The leather is nice however. The case for the Oasis 2016, with charger built in, was much nicer. AND I think the device had a longer battery life. That said, I love the big screen on the Oasis 2017.

I still have my Kindle Voyage, and it feels like a brick compared to the Oasis. Yet, it had the best cover of the bunch.

7. EarDemon

What's more surprising is it passed the prototype phase, given all the negative reviews. You would think whatever company actually makes the covers for Amazon would have a Kindle to test the thing on before pumping out thousands of them. And then they would see how apparently crappy the case actually is. I tend to stick with OEM accessories if I can help it for a lot of things, I'd love to have an 'official' Amazon cover, but I have a feeling it will just be the fabric one for the 2017 Oasis.

8. rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh Hardly Normal
    Supporting Founder

I just ordered a moco cover (I think that's the brand name). It was $13 on Amazon, had a Van Gogh Starry Night cover, and actually protects the Oasis!

Just doesn't have any sort of fold capability like the Amazon one does. But much more protected.

Company decisions are often bizarre, like Apple's decision NOT to make rear cases for the iPad Pro 10.5. Dumb.

9. EarDemon

I like the case I got, my only wish is there was sort of clasp to keep it closed.

I’ve been enjoying the Oasis with a couple issues. While my Pixel Buds will pair to the Kindle just fine, and I even here is faint click upon connection, I can’t hear anything out of them. Book is playing, volume is maxed out, no audio. I have no problem pairing and getting audio from my various bluetooth speakers. What also sucks is in the car. It will pair to my wife’s Expedition with Sync 2, but it won’t pair to my Navigator running the older version of Ford Sync.

The other thing I can’t figure out is how to permanently delete books from my Amazon account and have them not appear on my home screen on the Kindle when I have All selected as opposed to Downloaded. A few months ago, when I first started thinking about getting the Oasis I wanted to see what ebooks look like on other deices such as my phone and the PC application. I downloaded 1984, only because it jumped out at me since it was the only book that I could get for free with Prime that I actually heard of, and now I can’t get rid of it. When I select Books for Manage Your Content, Animal Farm/1984 appears, but when I select it and click delete, the Yes Delete Permanently button is grayed out. I also could do without the User Guide.

Attached Files:

Separate names with a comma.

More...