Kindle e-reader owner's thread

Discussion in 'Computers and Gadgets' started by Ilya, Dec 3, 2011.

1. rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh Hardly Normal
    Supporting Founder

I love my Oasis 2017, but wish the battery was a bit better. Yet the screen is just perfect.

2. EarDemon

EarDemon SatelliteGuys Pro

My only wishes are that it charged via USB C, and that you could listen and read simultaneously like the smartphone app

3. rockymtnhigh

Supporting Founder

My gut says that the latter issue is just not something well suited for an e-ink reader.

I suspect USB-C will come on the next one or so. But so far Amazon has not switched any of its devices to USB-C.

4. EarDemon

EarDemon SatelliteGuys Pro

Bought a Fire HD 10 tablet at the end of April when they had a one-day sale for $99. Upgraded to 64 GB storage and went ad free so total cost was $155. The thing is pretty nice for what it cost, but after two days I had enough of being locked into the Amazon ecosystem, so I installed the Google Play Framework and Services. Now I can use real Android tablet apps, although I was shocked to see Spectrum, MS Outlook and Sirius XM all available natively on Fire OS, but I replaced them with the ones from Google Play.

It appears the Fire tablet can’t handle wifi speeds significantly more than 30 Mbps. At home I have a 140 Mb internet connection and on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, the Speedtest.net app never broke more than 32 or 33 Mb down. Same goes for earlier in the month when I was in NYC using my cellular hot sports from both T-Mobile and Sprint. I was wondering because it seems to take longer to install apps and such then my phones and other Android devices I’ve had.

Using it as an e-reader in a brighter environment is a terrible idea. Like with all of these screens, it’s nothing but a highly reflective washed out mess. Video quality is great, and audio quality using the built in speakers top notch as well. I haven’t paired it to anything Bluetooth yet, but I’m happy to say I can now pair my Pixel Buds to the Kindle Oasis and use the gestures to change the volume and pause/play Audible on the Oasis.

Not sure how long I’ll use the Fire for, or if it will join the rest of my tablets finding it stuffed in a drawer or under a bed after it not being used for months. There is a bit of a lag, which is expected for a tablet in this price range, but its not a bad toy for the cost.

navychop likes this.
  5. rockymtnhigh

Supporting Founder

I've never found the Fires to be ideal for its original purpose - reading - thus, haven't used them in a long time.

I turned m old Voyager over to my wife, and she abandoned the Fire 8 she had. I'm so happy with the Oasis 2017. Such a great e-reader. And no distractions from other apps. :)

Separate names with a comma.

More...