Lease Program Information (Cat Fight Version):

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Paul Wozniak said:
This has to been the pissing contest in history.

I know. Crazy how personal people take things. Its only TV. There are blu-ray versus HD-DVD ones going on right now. I just dont get it. I really dont care that much. If one is better fine. But sometimes folks like things for their reason. My wife loves D*Tivo. The other stuff dont matter. So how do you argue with that?

meow, i always thought cat fights were girls fighting...this is my first thread seeing one in the forum so I dont know all the rules:)

more like siberian VS bengal tigers fighting. this isnt phhhhht, phhht, meow.

it is more like throats getting torn out and losing fangs because they are inbedded in skulls.

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
more like siberian VS bengal tigers fighting. this isnt phhhhht, phhht, meow.

it is more like throats getting torn out and losing fangs because they are inbedded in skulls.
its time for the meds again...LOL

vurbano said:
I sure wish someone would get the facts on that. Everything Ive heard says no more owning only leasing.

Vurbano -

The reason these units are different then the rest of the units in the DIRECTV "family" is because these products do not have a "buy down" - they do not require an activation agreement when they are purchased and the reason why they have always been more expensive than other devices offered from DIRECTV or the channel is because the cost of acquisition of the units is not subsidized by DIRECTV.

The scenario is very similar to the cell phone market - purchase a cell phone without an activiation agreement and it will cost you more than if you purchase one through a channel such as Verizon or Cingular, etc with an activation agreement, which is required.

Since HR10-250 units have never required a buy down, probably because the cost per unit to subsidize such a model was too expensive for DIRECTV's model, these units could be purchased without an activation agreement. It also means that vendors could resell these units without being an authorized DIRECTV reseller. For example PTVupgrade has always been an authorized reseller of the HR!0-250, but we are not an authorized DIRECTV reseller.

And with all of that said, the leasing only applies to certain equipment; the stuff that does require activation. The HR10-250, which technically is not a DIRECTV product, does not require that.

Lastly, as of 3/1 - the end of the DIRECTV lease special where one would have to commit to a 2-year activation agreement in order to be eligible for a $200 rebate - prices on the HR10-250 units from distributors did drop, so unless demand increases significantly, I would expect prices to remain the same or go lower, not go up.

Hope that clarifies things, at least a bit....

All that was as clear as mud. There is NO WAY you can tell me that the 250 cost enough to make where they can justify charging $500. Look at what you can buy for $500 in the electronic realm now. A really nice digital camera. An HD camcorder, a REALLY nice TV, several GPS systems are less than $500.... WHAT makes D* think that this receiver is worth $500? AND it isn't ours???????????????????????

scotsmanron said:
All that was as clear as mud. There is NO WAY you can tell me that the 250 cost enough to make where they can justify charging $500. Look at what you can buy for $500 in the electronic realm now. A really nice digital camera. An HD camcorder, a REALLY nice TV, several GPS systems are less than $500.... WHAT makes D* think that this receiver is worth $500? AND it isn't ours???????????????????????

It is not what they think, it is what they know, and what they know is, that there will be shmucks who will pay it anyways, and to them, the ones that don't/can't are 'trimmed fat'. :\

scotsmanron said:
It worse than that actually. D* is saying the unit is worth 500+470(the equipment rermination fee if you dont return it) = 970 Dollars! All of that price increase overnight when it was 400 (on ebay)-200 rebate = 200 bucks before 2/28/06. A price increase of 970-200= 770 dollars overnight!

vurbano said:
D* is saying the unit is worth 500+470(the equipment rermination fee if you dont return it) = 970 Dollars!

Then return the damn thing when they ask you to. Okay, now that problem is solved. Let's move on.

-JustBob

scotsmanron said:

Brilliant. And I suppose your now gonna tell me that the $65,000 Hummer isn't really worth $65,000. And the $300,000 house isn't really worth $300,000 big news, thanks for turning on the lights for us,,,,,,,,,and the HR10-250 really wasn't worth the near $1000..oh...ooops but many paid that for it, of course it went down just like all of the other equipment. Remember when everyone was crazy over that. I wasn't gonna pay that much so I waited a bit...and the deals started coming. Once again, if you all feel that strong about it stop subbing, go to E* and every once in a while I will go into the E* forums and read about what you are upset with with them.

dragon002 said:
vurbano, i do believe that unit was $999.00 a year ago, am i wrong?
scotsmanron said:
All that was as clear as mud. There is NO WAY you can tell me that the 250 cost enough to make where they can justify charging $500.
Paul Wozniak said:
This has been the [biggest] pissing contest in history.
This annoying (but sometimes amusing) contest is really a "no contest" between the defending Champion v---- and the up and coming S---- :haha

Perhaps its all really a Simon Cowell clone contest. !sadroll

V: 4,836 (6.78 posts per day) - virtually 90% negative
S: 115 (2.26 posts per day) - about 50% negative

Your mommies must be so proud. :D

Ok guys. You know - the answer is so very easy and obvious.

All you have to do is "turn into churn" with DirecTV, and all of your "life-threatening" problems go away. If you go through the Dish threads, you'll see that their grass isn't so green there - and cable.... :yikes

Those of us who don't need to tinkle at every moment of concern will somehow live to see another day. And we get to sleep on dry sheets. :cool:

Cat fight? - girls do it sooooooo much better with all the hair pulling and other stuff - this all makes me want to watch the mud-wrestling scene in Stripes right now... :devil:

I agree...but I have never heard so much complaining about a service that you don't have to have. I can't imagine that I would pay for something that I disliked so much if I had a choice.

dragon002 said:
vurbano,

i do believe that unit was $999.00 a year ago, am i wrong?
And the price was $399 on ebay a month ago with a $200 dollar rebate for a total cost to the customer of $200 dollars. What are you trying to prove? That D* raped its HDDVR subs a year ago?

Last edited:
no,

just saying wait a while and the up front lease price will come way down....IMHO

directv didnt rape anyone.

people that bought HDTVs 3 years ago paid thru the nose, did they get raped ? no. they chose to buy then at that price.

buy a car at the beginning of the model year, you pay more, buy after they start all the rebates, you pay a lot less. so did the auto mfgrs. rape the ones who bought early? no.

your logic is a bit skewed.

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
no,

just saying wait a while and the up front lease price will come way down....IMHO
We agree on something at least. I think it will have too if D* wants to lease any of those things.

scotsmanron said:
And my digital SLR that was $1500 24 months ago is $750 now. What's your point?

my point is that the price has been dropping, and will continue to fall, IMHO. dont like the price now , dont get the eq now. it is that simple.

But, as Vurbano correctly pointed out, it has gone the other way!!! It has gone up now, AFTER going down. What other electronics have done that? I can't think of a thing AND you don't own it.

Great, they price goes up for something you don't own. Something is wrong with this picture.

No matter what the apologists say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)