LNB Drift Detected

Okay fellas. The LNB Drift is back it now says (o -7). I need some advice.
1. I own my recievers and I am not under their DHPP warranty.
Should I get the warranty then wait a couple days to put the call in for the new LNB? There is no way I can get up where it is located.

2. Is there anyway I can talk them into a 1000.2?

Thanks.

LNB drift service calls are FREE! With or without warranty.
Also we will not set it up unless you fall under these drift guidelines and if you read the current models fall under the 8mhz and higher this is directly from dish.

Drift ValuesAction
+5.00 to +7.99 or
-5.00 to -7.99
For models 1k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, 71/7200, IRR, 2800, 3900, 4900, 721, 811, 111, 921 942 only create an "LNB Drift Service Call" to have the LNBF replaced. For all other receivers, no action required.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
+ 8.00 or higher or
– 8.00 or higher
If the customer is experiencing signal related issues, on any receiver, create an "LNB Drift Service Call" to have the LNBF replaced.

Yep. I still have the DishNotes somewhere we were given in the ATM. Why the call center is refusing to build a trouble call for something legitimate like this is beyond me. Especially with all the bogus trouble calls they build for all manner of stupid crap. Like the guy who went into soft disconnect due to non payment, and he called up playing dumb "why is my system not working?" So, the CSR builds a trouble call, for us to come out and tell him to pay his bill! Or the CSR who built a trouble call for us to find out why the customer's HBO wasn't working. Guess what? HE DIDN'T SUBSCRIBE. Instead of selling him the HBO package, they build a trouble call. :rolleyes: The whole point of the super diagnostics in the system info screen was to catch problems like LNBF drift BEFORE they caused service interruptions. No, they just ignore it until it breaks, like usual.

And yes, I AM a bit bitter. :D

Well how about the tech who didnt have a part and would be right back? -A tech who had an emergency and would come back the tech who brought his wife, brought his girlfriend- they were in a hurry (important date) the customer had signal loss 20 minutes later. The tech who when the customer asked him to hook up a phoneline got upset and ran a 10 ft. phoneline 9 ft. away and yes the phoneline didnt touch the ground suspended across the room nice. Or the techs every single day I walk through troubleshooting as if the do not have a clue what a front panel reset is " Uh you want me to push the front button....uhhhh oh reset it ok....." program a remote,change mod setup, or lets get LOS through a bare tree here comes spring and threre goes the signal. Wiring slung across the roof wrapped around the chimney or just laying around the house, running on the floor right through the middle of rooms. The number one thing i enjoy techs call in want you to add hbo/cinemax phoneline bypass and activate the account in two minutes, hey buddy i actually have to go through about five menu's for each of those items you requested.A tech --"Thats funny its taking you longer than it took me to swap the rcvr... HAHA HUHU" I am having computer issue it crashed im rebooting, what happens if you have a bad rcvr? Takes a little bit longer sometimes the orders all F"ed up and I fix it. Also it seems every tech has some made up troubleshooting for each error, every single day I take 60-70 calls I have handled roughly 24,000-30,000 technical calls I know the troubleshooting for the equipment very well. How many service calls do you do a day? 6-8 well then thats 2,500-3,000 (In equivalancy to me).
I have answered alot more questions then majority of techs and have had to figure out alot of things from a equipment knowledge stand point. Im sure if I went back to do a install you could slam me fail but come take some calls see if you enjoy it. Call your grandmother and try wwalking her through programming a remote or try walking a cusotmer throughj hooking up two dual tuners with back feeds modulating channels programming remotes and dual UHF pro its what I do.
-Yes I am mad tech just told me I didnt know what I was talking about after he asked me the question. You are supposed to select superdish for 1000.2 in install summary its a fact I do not care if doesnt effect it you asked me.

Technical Service Rep III

Just ranting like crazy....:eek:

Last edited:
LNB drift service calls are FREE! With or without warranty.
Also we will not set it up unless you fall under these drift guidelines and if you read the current models fall under the 8mhz and higher this is directly from dish.

Drift ValuesAction
+5.00 to +7.99 or
-5.00 to -7.99
For models 1k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, 71/7200, IRR, 2800, 3900, 4900, 721, 811, 111, 921 942 only create an "LNB Drift Service Call" to have the LNBF replaced. For all other receivers, no action required.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
+ 8.00 or higher or
– 8.00 or higher
If the customer is experiencing signal related issues, on any receiver, create an "LNB Drift Service Call" to have the LNBF replaced.
My 622s are showing -5 and if I am reading this right they will not replace it until it is -8, whatever that is?

Looks that way. I am experiencing signal issues, mostly on one HD local (129 sat, go figure), but the drift has not been detected in a while. I was going to buy a 1000.2 and have it installed myself. But with the new sats going up, I thought I would hold off. But now I dont know what to do.

Amazing the disconnect between the call center and us technicians. Call center doesn't think it's a big enough issue to send us out until it's virtually non-functional. We've been told we MUST replace ANY LNBF that is +/-5 drift. We don't and the QAS comes out to inspect that TC, we fail. No ifs ands or buts.

If I run up on any DP Plus Twins with the "skinny" base, I automatically replace them whether they have a drift on them or not. It may not have crapped-out yet but it likely will.

Those are the ones that were made in the U.S. and we were having problems with a lot of them last year.

Well how about the tech who didnt have a part and would be right back? -A tech who had an emergency and would come back the tech who brought his wife, brought his girlfriend- they were in a hurry (important date) the customer had signal loss 20 minutes later. The tech who when the customer asked him to hook up a phoneline got upset and ran a 10 ft. phoneline 9 ft. away and yes the phoneline didnt touch the ground suspended across the room nice. Or the techs every single day I walk through troubleshooting as if the do not have a clue what a front panel reset is " Uh you want me to push the front button....uhhhh oh reset it ok....." program a remote,change mod setup, or lets get LOS through a bare tree here comes spring and threre goes the signal. Wiring slung across the roof wrapped around the chimney or just laying around the house, running on the floor right through the middle of rooms. The number one thing i enjoy techs call in want you to add hbo/cinemax phoneline bypass and activate the account in two minutes, hey buddy i actually have to go through about five menu's for each of those items you requested.A tech --"Thats funny its taking you longer than it took me to swap the rcvr... HAHA HUHU" I am having computer issue it crashed im rebooting, what happens if you have a bad rcvr? Takes a little bit longer sometimes the orders all F"ed up and I fix it. Also it seems every tech has some made up troubleshooting for each error, every single day I take 60-70 calls I have handled roughly 24,000-30,000 technical calls I know the troubleshooting for the equipment very well. How many service calls do you do a day? 6-8 well then thats 2,500-3,000 (In equivalancy to me).
I have answered alot more questions then majority of techs and have had to figure out alot of things from a equipment knowledge stand point. Im sure if I went back to do a install you could slam me fail but come take some calls see if you enjoy it. Call your grandmother and try wwalking her through programming a remote or try walking a cusotmer throughj hooking up two dual tuners with back feeds modulating channels programming remotes and dual UHF pro its what I do.-Yes I am mad tech just told me I didnt know what I was talking about after he asked me the question. You are supposed to select superdish for 1000.2 in install summary its a fact I do not care if doesnt effect it you asked me.

Technical Service Rep III

Just ranting like crazy....:eek:

You know, I think this coming week I'll try having the customer program his TV2 to the correct channel instead of just telling him what channel it needs to be on.

That way maybe he won't lose his mind if he accidentally changes the TV2 channel and can fix it himself without calling Tech Support.

I do actually program the recovery button on the TV2 remotes but I quit explaining it customers long time ago. I thought people's heads were going to explode when I tried instructing them on how to use it.

My 622s are showing -5 and if I am reading this right they will not replace it until it is -8, whatever that is?

622 Displays the Drift Info and Corrects for it...

But, if you have other older models... Depending on the model, they may not show the drift info or correct for it. So, if you have other models and are seeing problems with dropouts... Call DISH and see you are having dropped video on the other boxes and your 622 is showing Drift. Tell them the dropouts are not acceptable.

622 Displays the Drift Info and Corrects for it...

But, if you have other older models... Depending on the model, they may not show the drift info or correct for it. So, if you have other models and are seeing problems with dropouts... Call DISH and see you are having dropped video on the other boxes and your 622 is showing Drift. Tell them the dropouts are not acceptable.
So I guess drift is not my problem, even though I show drifts of -7 on both 129 and 110. I have a VIP622 receiver. I see occasional pixellation and freezing on my HD locals on 129. I have had this problem ever since I got HD service nearly three years ago. It hasn't gotten any worse and it hasn't gotten any better. I don't have any problems at all on my 110 channels.

So I guess drift is not my problem, even though I show drifts of -7 on both 129 and 110. I have a VIP622 receiver. I see occasional pixellation and freezing on my HD locals on 129. I have had this problem ever since I got HD service nearly three years ago. It hasn't gotten any worse and it hasn't gotten any better. I don't have any problems at all on my 110 channels.

Same here, except my dish no longer shows drift. It is sad how you get "use" to things. It is sad that the pixelization and black (and here lately yellow/orange screens) have never been fixed. I got tired of calling. I would switch to Direct, but I dont like their guides and dvr's. Cable is not available.

So I guess drift is not my problem, even though I show drifts of -7 on both 129 and 110.

Well... YES and NO... or better yet MAYBE.

Even though it is correcting for drift... you may have other LNB problems like NOISE.

The LNB is crap. Call DISH and get it replaced. Tell them you are having dropouts and video loss too often.

I have a 1000+, and I'm getting LNB Drift on 118.7 --> 0x13, 0xb0, 118(o -5). From reading this thread, looks like i may not have anything to worry about immediately, but wondering why 118.7 would be having issues ,and not 119 since it is the same LNB?
Is the LNB drift possibly caused by the LNB needing a repoint? My signal strengths seem fine. The menu generally lists btwn 1 and 10 losses per 6 hour interval every day on both tuners, but two days ago it lists 90 losses, and 64 losses in the same day. Also, no issues with dropouts, and no LNB drift with 110, 119 or 129.

118.75 and 119 are seperate lnbs in the same housing. 118.75 is fss circularly polarized, 119 is dbs or something like that (regular dish lnb).

question

I have never posted here and I could use some help. 4 years ago this May, I got rid of Dish. I had NO signal on 110 but great signal on 119. After several calls to Dish ( who did nothing by the way) I was told it was because a tree probably grew in the way/ the leaves were out. When it rained 110 came in a little for a few minutes. thought it was because the rain moved the leaves. Long story short no satisfaction from Dish. Went with Charter Cable. Now 4 years later, after missing Dish,( and paying $35 a month for DVR sevice on two dvrs) I want to go back. Could it be this drift I am reading about? Will I be able to get the signal? Would leaves on a (1) tree be enough to block one signal and not the other? Finally should I wait until May to make sure the trees are in full leaf before I call Dish? Thanks for all the help I am sure to get. BarbaraW

What are those Lost Locks actually counting, which alot of people having counting up dramatically (me included) on their receivers? What is the issue there? And why is it so excessive ever since L449 on 622/722 receivers?

Here is my experience with the LNB drift problem:

About a year ago, I noticed the LNB drift warning on the setup screen. At the time, I had a 501 receiver. The drift was about -5, but it did not cause any problems.

I started to keep track of the LNB drift and I noticed that it varied with the outside temperature. When it was cold outside, the drift was lower, however as the summer months went on and temperature increased, the LNB drift increased as well. On a hot summer day, when the temperature was in the 80s or 90s, the drift would increase to -8 or -9 and all of the channels on the even transponders would start to drop out. I monitored this for about a month and I found that at night, when the temperature was lower, the drift would decrease to -4 or -5 and the channels on the even transponders would come back to life. The next day, as the temperature increased, the drift would increase, and the channels on the even transponders would once again start to cut out. When the temperature increased to the point where the drift was about -8, all of the channels on the even transponders would be gone.

During that summer I upgraded to the 622 receiver. Even though the LNB drift was still there, the 622 receiver was able to compensate for it, and I never lost any channels like I did with the 501 receiver. So it looks like the newer receivers can cope with more LNB drift and still work OK.

Even though the 622 was able to handle this amount of drift, I was concerned that the drifting problem was getting worse, and sooner or later it would fail. I called customer service and told them my story. Since they had just installed the new 622, I was able to get a free service call. The technition replaced the LNB and the new one never had any drift problem. (When I called, I told them that the even transponders were cutting out, even though the 622 was able to handle the drift).

BTW the LNB with the drift problem was the Dishpro Plus Twin LNBF. After talking with an advanced tech, he told me that the LNB drift was a known problem with certain batches of the Dishpro Plus Twin LNBs.

I have a 211 receiver. I noticed an intermittent +5 drift on the 129 sat only. Ever since they updated the software to L4.37 I haven't had this problem. I'm convinced it was software related and not a problem with the LNB. Only time will tell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)