LNB Skew???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Ok question guys, i have been playing around with my 31" dish a little bit in my free time lately when its not too cold out. I finally discovered i was skewing -16 for g25 when i needed to be +16 but the lnb holder is marked

20 - - - 0 - - - 20

not indicating pos or neg. well got that situation under control however, now i was g10r, well the lnb skew is 44. how the heck should i know where 44 is if it just goes to 20. at least i know which was is positive now. any advice?

Think about a protractor or a "right angle" and take half of that.

Then once you get a signal from the satellite and you are sure you have peaked the dish for the best pole level, elevation and azimuth, then adjust the lnb skew for the best signal quality.

honestly skew is just a roughball number. Best thing to do is twist the LNB until you get optimum signal.

skew of 44? dang....

awesome, thanks for the help, qwert & ice!! be watching some 97 and 123 tonight out back. having a cook out and a fire. will upload some pics :)

Yeah its a lil cold here in FL tonight but it'll be OK. We're having italian sausage and beer! Summers coming soon, you can join us in a few weeks.

I'll take a sausage with some good German dark beer. I prefer Ayinger (Dark brown with a warm sweet aroma. A satisfying malty taste with coffee-ish tones and a hint of fruitiness.)....mmmmmmmm

What time you want me there?

Attachments

• 619.jpg
    619.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 161
Like the man said, just twist the sucker until you get good pictures on both polarities. That's what I do with my G10 fixed dish primestar, just check sev channels on V, look at signal level, then compare to sev channels on the H side.

Yeah its a lil cold here in FL tonight but it'll be OK. We're having italian sausage and beer! Summers coming soon, you can join us in a few weeks.

Holy crap! I'm on my way! I'll bring some beer too!

Oh wait cancel that, were about to get POUNDED by severe storms. Better tighten that baby down for now.

Yeah its a lil cold here in FL tonight but it'll be OK. We're having italian sausage and beer!

Were expecting more snow tonight and tomarrow. Not much accumulation though. Break out some Canadian Beer and you could just convince a few of us to make the trip there to get out of this weather. We've sure had our share of winter weather this year.

I feel bad for you guys in the north. My mom lives in NY and she loves the snow and cold but I cant stand it! Im from FL all my life and when its 40 here I'm pissed off. haha. I got the skew right (finally) and realized that I had the settings for my universal LNB wrong. I had been setting it to 10750 but it should have been 10600. :-( damn hours gone. But did get a nice soccer game on 97 after it was all said and done. Took pics with the iPhone, will post tmw. Again thanks for everyones input. satguys rocks!

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Im kinda proud of myself im sure a 31" universal with no switching isnt a big deal, but after all the trial and error im a happy camper!

My skew for G10 is +44.9. I had a hard time getting it right. Skew made a huge difference for me in quality. I went from 50-55 to 75-78 with a 31" dish in South Alabama. Whats this snow stuff these people talk about?:):)

yeah thats what the calc said for me in pensacola is 44.8. i didnt get to g10 last night, my damn lnb freq was off so i wasted too much time but i finally got 97 working. Ill mess with g10 laster this week. the only white stuff we have on the ground around here is sand :-D take a look from valentines weekend...

Attachments

• DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 153
Olliec420
Have you ever observed the "green flash" from your location? I did once when way down south on the pacific side.
Tom

no green flashes here. over in ft morgan alabama you see some crazy stuff out in the water from the oil rigs (which look pretty cool i must say). only green flashes i see here in pensacola are when we have hurricanes the power substations and transformers blow up green when it first starts. :)

Were expecting yet more snow on Friday and Saturday. The only sand here is on the ice with the salt to help get traction and melt it. It sure makes a mess of the car and shoes/boots. Does not look like it is going to be a weekend to work on the dish outside, more like cleaning the driveway and sidewalk. Saturday is the first of March, so not too much more of this weather left.....hopefully.

Skew direction is easy to remember. Just picture the LNBF tilted toward the west for satellites west of due south and tilted east for satellites east of due south :)

The further away from true south a satellite is, the more extreme the skew angle will be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)