Long distance antenna 60 - 100 miles?

Dish Sub 2015

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 19, 2015
The Matrix
Need a long distance digital TV antenna.
What is more effective, regular digital TV antenna or modified satellite antenna?

Satellite-Dish-With-HD-Antenna.jpg

Antenna2.jpg

The dish based reflector solution would provide some rejection of signals 180 degrees away from the target signal (coming from behind the antenna), but it would not increase the forward gain. A Dish Network or DirecTV reflector is only 75-80% of a wavelength even at the highest UHF channel frequency.

Definitely go for the yagi type antenna. Generally, the more director elements (forward facing and shorter elements) the higher the gain. Also, choose an antenna with VHF Low, VHF High and favors UHF Low to be future proof as the FCC repackages and sells off the higher UHF channels.

The curved surface of the dish reflector will concentrate a signal on one spot on the driven element and not set up a standing wave along the whole element as is needed.

A better reflector would be one that is flat in the horizonal plane and parabolic in the vertical plane, focused on the driven element, similar to the small 4 element reflector on the UHF portion of the bottom antenna.

Antenna developers use spaced rods for reflectors to reduce wind load because spaced rods are electricly almost indentical to a solid surface.

How about something like that:

dishplusfeed1.jpg

bq-mount.jpg

The small Dish or DirecTV reflector into a driven element will provide very little gain for UHF or VHF frequencies. You would need a significantly larger dish and pick-up element to produce gain equal to a simple yagi. For example, the UHF Channel Master 4251 was about 7' in diameter. See this tribute page:
http://www.rocketroberts.com/cm4251/cm4251.htm

Does it mean that the old satellite antennas are not good for anything :)

How much gain will get me something like by quad antenna on the front of the standard dish / direct tv antenna?

biquad7.jpg

Does it mean that the old satellite antennas are not good for anything :)

How much gain will get me something like by quad antenna on the front of the standard dish / direct tv antenna?

biquad7.jpg

At the frequencies of TV UHF and VHF channels the quad element and the reflector plate will need to be much larger. Since the Dish/DirecTV reflector is also only a fraction of a wavelength for even the highest UHF channel, the gain will be marginal. Maybe it might provide a few dB gain over a single driven element?

I understand that you want it to work for TV, but wishing and reality are in conflict... :D

Works great for 2.4 and 5gig WiFi! :)

For long distance you need a large antenna, or even separate UHF and VHF (both large) antennas, a GOOD QUALITY pre-amplifier. A noisy amplifier will do no good. You will also need height. Usually a tower, especially if you have trees to get over. (remember trees will grow, so what is good today may be no good in a few years. With the repack of channels coming, the upper UHF band will no longer be used. (that is if it does happen) A lot of the UHF antennas need to be redesigned as their sweet spot is too high. That is their maximum gain will be at a channel no longer used.
First start off with checking with tvfool web site to see what you have a chance of getting.(but remember the channels may change in the future with the repack)
Most of my channels are 60+ miles.

You must live near Keene NH in SW NH or SE VT. You're going to need to spend more than $50.
Years ago before Digital Transition I lived in Leyden, MA. and no matter how strong an antenna I used CH3 out of Hartford was it. The valley I was in blocked other local channels..

Any recommendations :hatsoff
Winegard 8200 UHF/VHF looks to start at $99.99 plus possibly a preamp. You will also need mounting hard ware so $50 is only a dream. With possible changes to the available frequencies for TV broadcast the low VHF channels may become more important.

A ViewTV DA-290 antenna works for me at 60 miles and may get you 1 edge stations but that gives very little to watch. Runs about $25 so it fits under $50 but a DISH minimum package with locals would add the major networks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dish Sub 2015
It is your money spend it as you want I know what the 290 will do for $25. I also know the 8200 works if you want to dream about fringe reception.

Any recommendations :hatsoff

Honestly look around and see what antennas you see in your immediate neighborhood. Where you live, I wouldn't expect much more than PBS from NH and VT, maybe NBC or ABC (WNNE and WMUR, respectively) but you never know. You're in the void between Burlington, Boston, and Albany. Springfield MA is mostly low power. Look at your specific address on the TVFool maps and see what the patterns are. You know exactly where you live and the broadcast coverage maps are pretty accurate. Maybe you can fiddle with the exact position to improve the numbers.

If you want an ABC, you're probably not going to get it OTA. A big antenna with a pre-amp may get you CBS but it will probably have to be on a rotor so you can adjust the aim for CBS (since it is off in an entirely different direction).

Weather dependency is a huge issue in a situation such as the tvfool table illustrates. I'd pretty much write off any of the two edge stations in terms of reliability.

As always, I recommend against solutions that don't cover VHF as it is coming with whatever the repack turns out to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)