MAC Book Pro

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
Just got my new MAC Book Pro 13.3. Wow, what a nice looking and fast machine. Gonna take some getting used to being it's my first ever Mac. Any good sites that offers good tips and tricks navigating the MAC world?

I jumped a few years ago from the Windows World over to a Macbook Pro myself.

It was the best move I ever made.

I did buy Parallels so that I could use Windows and programs that I knew how to use and used them often until I got use to the same type of programs on the mac. Now a few years later and I haven't booted windows on my mac in over a year.

I did buy Parallels so that I could use Windows and programs that I knew how to use and used them often until I got use to the same type of programs on the mac. Now a few years later and I haven't booted windows on my mac in over a year.

I use VMware Fusion on my Mac is I ever need things from Windows. I mostly use it for testing different Linux versions though.

Very cool. When I got the 13" version a year ago, I thought the screen might be a little small. After some use, I love the size of this thing. One of the best purchases I have ever made. My wife's computer was broken for a few days and she was using my Mac while I was getting the parts for the repair. She now wants a Mac of here own.

Very cool. When I got the 13" version a year ago, I thought the screen might be a little small. After some use, I love the size of this thing. One of the best purchases I have ever made. My wife's computer was broken for a few days and she was using my Mac while I was getting the parts for the repair. She now wants a Mac of here own.

I felt the same way about the screen size. 13" is plenty big. What's the rule of thumb as far as Anti Virus software for Macs?

Antivirus never used to be a big deal for Macs but it seems that is becoming a thing of the past.

The other thing you will notice is that over the time your machine will not slow down like a traditional windows pc. I have made many comments that my mac runs just as fast today as when I took it out of the box a year ago.

I use Oracle's Virtualbox as well for those times when I need Windows. The personal use license covers pretty much everything I need it for. Just remember that you'll need a Windows license for the virtual machine you're creating.

If you have more than one Mac, the Mac App Store allows you to buy an App on one Mac and download it to your other Macs without buying it again (just like the App Store on the iOS devices).

If you are setting up a Mac from the beginning, best practice is to create an Admin account to install software and make changes. Day-to-day operation doesn't require Admin access, so you create a non-admin user account for everyone who is going to use the Mac.

You can also create users that have parental controls applied. This allows you to restrict access to websites, restrict the logon times, and log usage.

I'm currently contemplating a laptop to use on my organs to present sheet music for playing. I'm looking at Apple (of course <G>), but am tossed between the MacBook Air and Pro. Currently there are some decent buys on Apple's site in the refurbs area. Data storage space really isn't an issue.

If you looked at both the Air and Pro before you bought, how big is the pro in comparison?

Wait for the Sandy Bridge refresh. End of summer, most likely.

Very fast. Very low heat dissipation.
When running Win7 on a ASUS board (i5-2500) the CPU fan doesn't kick in until the GUI shows up...

Diogen.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I may very well do that. But since I would be in the GUI all the time, wouldn't the fan then be running all the time too? And just how loud is that fan in the Pro, compared to the Air?

My use would be almost totally using one piece of software (MusicReader) while playing one of the organs I have. Overall size is really more important, and of course quietness.

Currently I use my iPad for this task, but the screen size/font size is a bit small and my eyes aren't getting better. Another couple inches of viewing area would be rather nice.

I am waiting for the next Macbook Pro, my now 5 year old Macbook Pro is starting to show signed of needing to be replaced. The body is in poor shape now, I have replaced the keyboard twice and the LED screen once. In addition I have replaced the battieres 4 times now and can only get about 2 hours life on a battery even when new.

But since I would be in the GUI all the time, wouldn't the fan then be running all the time too?
No personal experience, but considering the CPU is built on 32nm tech, Apple will use Intel's onboard video for the first time (rumored) and Mac laptops get handpicked parts - I wouldn't be surprised if even the Pro's with its aluminum body will get rid of the fans altogether...

Diogen.