MAC Book Pro

Saw reports on twitter from Mashable that the Apple Store is closed. Doing some updating. Curious to see the pricing for the new macbook pros.

But not cheap. Quad Core starting at $1799. And only available on the 15 and 17 inch models. 13" laptop (the size I believe is truly ideal) is only duo-core.

Radeon graphics still on standby on 15" and 17" models.
Probably got an offer from AMD they couldn't refuse...

One application would be correct 23.976fps playback of hidef movies (Intel still has the 24fps issue).
But this is a moot point for macs since they neither offer a Blu-ray drive nor a player with hardware assisted playback...

Diogen.

My wife just called she has it in her hands. We opted to bring it up to 8GB for $200 more.

Only issue now is its going to take them 2 hours to put the memory in.

The wait is the hardest part. :D

Nice. Bought my 13" MBP last Feb. New ones are nice, but I can't justify one for myself. My C2D is more than enough for the casual use around the house.

Well my new Macbook Pro is here, but I have been having some issues with it, the Migration Program keeps crashing (before it even starts moving a single file) I am now doing a restore from my Clickfree Backup drive. So far just restoring mail.

I will try doing to Migration again later I just want to make sure I can restore my mail first since I have over 5 years worth of mail. :)

I do wish in the Migration software that you could tell it which apps to bring over... I have a lot of apps installed I haven't used in years, guess I will need to prune things before running migrate again.

Its going to be strange typing on these plastic keys I am use to the keys on my old Macbook.

I have been playing around on it, it is really REALLY fast!

Below are some pics from the unboxing.

Attachments

• newmac1.jpg
    newmac1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 168
  • newmav2.jpg
    newmav2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 185
  • newmac3.jpg
    newmac3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 179
  • newmac4.jpg
    newmac4.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 191
  • newmac5.jpg
    newmac5.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 180
  • newmac6.jpg
    newmac6.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 172
  • Screen shot 2011-02-24 at 2.54.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-24 at 2.54.30 PM.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Scott you should have waited. I will be buying my new MacBook in 2012 as the rumor has it that apple will do a total makeover of the MacBook line in 2012. I would rather have the new MacBook design.

Scott you should have waited. I will be buying my new MacBook in 2012 as the rumor has it that apple will do a total makeover of the MacBook line in 2012. I would rather have the new MacBook design.
I waited over a year for this one. My other Macbook Pro is on its last leg... it served me very well the past 5 years. :)

Scott, I think tomcrown1 was yankin' your chain... :)
Those plastic keys are on way too many laptops, I have avoided them so far, but know it is just a matter of time. :(
What laptop has non-plastic keys? I was surprised to see Scott's old MacBook Pro had the metal key caps. Oh, right, I remember that some of our Dell Latitudes from 5 years ago were metal. I think everyone uses plastic nowadays.

Scott, I think you'll be happy with your new MacBook Pro. We'll know in a day or two how easy it is to add RAM or get at the HDD. I expect iFixit is tearing theirs apart even as I type.

It looks like the Thunderbolt port could support USB 3.0 through an adapter (PCIe and DisplayPort both supported through the interface). I wonder if the last two generations of the Mac Cinema display supports Thunderbolt pass-thru.

Last edited:
What laptop has non-plastic keys? I was surprised to see Scott's old MacBook Pro had the metal key caps. Oh, right, I remember that some of our Dell Latitudes from 5 years ago were metal. I think everyone uses plastic nowadays.

Scott, I think you'll be happy with your new MacBook Pro. We'll know in a day or two how easy it is to add RAM or get at the HDD. I expect iFixit is tearing theirs apart even as I type.

Its not that they are made of plastic, it is that they are not like "REAL" keys. They are these plastic squares, completely separated from each other. Not the way keys have traditionally been on laptops. But in the past few years have dominated netbooks, many new laptops, and macbooks. My Toshiba, luckily, has a more traditional keyboard (and backlit at that!).

I find that the new style keys are harder to use - or at least time to get used to.

During times when ThinkPad was still IBM's, their laptops regularly ware getting awards for best keyboards. Even the "Butterfly"...
Any deviation from the classic - size, feel, shape, travelling distance, etc. - was frowned upon by the purists.

Until Apple did this - and it became cute, functional and in line with "industrial design"...:)

Diogen.

Well I have been having some issues with my new Macbook... not problems with the machine itself but software...

I migrated all my stuff over last night from the old to the new.

When I log onto my scott account (which has all my mail, photos, itunes etc.) I only get a 2 hour battery life... (Something copied over on that account that hosed something)

If I log out of that account and use my admin account I get almost 8 hours of battery life.

So now I am backing up my itunes, mail etc and plan on blowing out the Scott account and recreating it and reinstalling all my programs from scratch to eliminate that battery issue. :)

Sounds like something running auto-magically when you login in as Scott. Take a look in Account Preferences -->Login Items to see what is being loaded on login. Most likely that's where you'll find it.

Well I have been having some issues with my new Macbook... not problems with the machine itself but software...

I migrated all my stuff over last night from the old to the new.

When I log onto my scott account (which has all my mail, photos, itunes etc.) I only get a 2 hour battery life... (Something copied over on that account that hosed something)

If I log out of that account and use my admin account I get almost 8 hours of battery life.

So now I am backing up my itunes, mail etc and plan on blowing out the Scott account and recreating it and reinstalling all my programs from scratch to eliminate that battery issue. :)

I almost always start fresh with new machines; and don't try to import in all of my settings, largely to just keep things clean. Setting up new machines is both fun and frustrating though. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)