MAC Book Pro

Here are my benchmarks.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 2.36.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 2.36.17 PM.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 201
I almost always start fresh with new machines; and don't try to import in all of my settings, largely to just keep things clean. Setting up new machines is both fun and frustrating though. :)

That's a pretty good description of the process! :)

When I got my MacBook Air a couple weeks ago, I knew that cloning the iMac was out of the question and that any migration process would end up with me being mad. Just not enough space on the SSD for all I had just in my documents folder. So I just made a new user exactly like the one on the iMac, manually moved what made sense over, sync'd all bookmarks, keychains and so forth from MobileMe and installed the very few apps I wanted on the Air. It was the smoothest new machine in a long time.

Everything is working great now. Got everything running and almost 8 hours of battery, when I was getting less then 2 before when I did the migration. :)

The rumors on the net for the 2012 MacBooks is that it will use the ssd cards to store the operating system. The MacBook pros will be slimmer in design and will have no optical drive as Apple plans to release all software through the app store. The most interesting part of the rumor is that it will come with 500mb of memory all on ssd cards.

It will be interesting to see the 2012 macs as these may lead the way for all lap tops.

That's a pretty good description of the process! :)

When I got my MacBook Air a couple weeks ago, I knew that cloning the iMac was out of the question and that any migration process would end up with me being mad. Just not enough space on the SSD for all I had just in my documents folder. So I just made a new user exactly like the one on the iMac, manually moved what made sense over, sync'd all bookmarks, keychains and so forth from MobileMe and installed the very few apps I wanted on the Air. It was the smoothest new machine in a long time.

As far as documents go, my life has gotten easy since I switched to Dropbox. Migration to a new machine is quick in that sense. And now that there is selective sync it is even easier.

SCOTT: Glad your machine is working now for you!

The rumors on the net for the 2012 MacBooks is that it will use the ssd cards to store the operating system. The MacBook pros will be slimmer in design and will have no optical drive as Apple plans to release all software through the app store. The most interesting part of the rumor is that it will come with 500mb of memory all on ssd cards.

It will be interesting to see the 2012 macs as these may lead the way for all lap tops.

I don't want DVD drives to go away on laptops.

Scott, maybe you can run the Geekbench on your old MacBook so you can see how much progress was made in the last couple of years.

I ran it on my Mac Mini 2.53 GHz and got 3572.

And I just checked, and iFixit has the 15" MacBook Pro tear-down... MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Early 2011 Teardown - iFixit

Attachments

• Geekbench-MacMini-Early2009.pdf
    43.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Wow what a MAJOR difference between the old machine and new machine.

NEW Machine's Geekbench Score is 10134
Old Machines Geekbench Score is 1166

Big difference there!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-26 at 11.00.53 PM.PNG
    Screen shot 2011-02-26 at 11.00.53 PM.PNG
    21 KB · Views: 170
TRIM
Early SSD drives showed performance degradation over time. TRIM was the cure for it.

Anand had a couple articles on the issue at that time...

Diogen.

TRIM is not a prerequisite to use SSDs.
And it has to be supported on both ends: OS and SSD firmare.

Without it the performance will most likely noticeably degrade in a year or so...

Diogen.

diogen said:
It looks like the latest MBP have some usability problems
Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro 2011 17" hard freeze ...

There is always a price to pay for being first out of the gate (Sandy Bridge this time)...

Diogen.
Also, over on Engadget I saw that 2011 Mac Book Pro owners with the MiniDisplayPort Cinema Displays are reporting flickering or blinking displays. Some Thunderbolt MacBook Pros causing flicker on Cinema Displays, Apple investigates (updated)

Scott, have you noticed any issues using an external monitor with your new MBP?

And just like that, Apple has released a Software Update. 10.6.7 is now available through software updates or direct from Apple's web site. It will be interesting to see if this addresses the Mac freezes since they mention SMB transfers.

Attachments

• image-3384300659.png
    image-3384300659.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 167

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts