Marlins BENCH Ramirez INDEFINATELY for 'lack of hustle'...

Some Red Sox fans still don't think that Ted Williams or Jim Rice came through for them. I'm one of the latter group.

There is also the question regarding whether Ramirez can perform under pressure. Right now he's playing in a place where your statistics are all that matter. I don't think he ever got into any big games with the Red Sox, but I may be wrong.

He would have to prove he can come through in the clutch like A-Rod has. ;)

Sandra

The MARLINS have been in playoff contention the last few years for the wild spot, litterally till the last couple of the season. He has performed VERY well. That is not an issue at all.

My thoughts earlier was, if he was on a team that had veteran leadership, he may be doing things differently.

As for the pressure of the bigger stage, your right, some can and some can't.

Some yankee fans STILL don't think A-Rod has come thru for them.

My thoughts exactly....

The MARLINS have been in playoff contention the last few years for the wild spot, litterally till the last couple of the season. He has performed VERY well. That is not an issue at all.

While this may be true, you edited out the part about him playing in places like Boston, New York, etc, where fans do not take kindly to laziness or me-first athletes. He seems sensitive, so the constant scrutiny could be too much for him.

Playing in the Northeast is not for everyone. Ask Javy Vazquez. And many others. ;)

Sandra

Maybe, but that doesn't make him the most talented in baseball, especially with less than five years in the game. Obviously he still has a lot to prove. Talent is more than just raw ability.

What do PLAYING YEARS have anything to do with talent? The ONLY thing that has been suspect was his glove on routine plays....and he has improved that in the last couple of years.

He has NOTHING to prove talent wise....and he is WAY beyond "raw ability". He just has an extreme diva mentality...which like Jimbo said, if there was some 'senior leadership' in the club house....this crap would not be happening.

Actually this is not a true statement. The correct statement would be that some Yankee fans do not accept A-Rod as a true Yankee, they way they consider Jeter, Cano, Posada, Mariano, Pettitte, Joba, etc., as true Yankees.

Players such as Paul O'Neil, David Cone and David Wells were able to overcome not coming up through the Yankee system and still work their way into the hearts of Yankee fans. A-Rod and Roger Clemens will always be considered outsiders.

That said, every Yankee fan is completely aware of what A-Rod did for us last October, and we applaud and thank him for it. The noise and anticipation in the Stadium Monday night, when A-Rod came to bat with a chance to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth against Papelbon, was very very real. Every Yankee fan now knows Alex Rodriguez is one of the best clutch hitters on the team, and possibly in all of baseball.

And we will cheer him every time he ties or wins a game for us.

Sandra

Until he has an o fer in a playoff game in october

While this may be true, you edited out the part about him playing in places like Boston, New York, etc, where fans do not take kindly to laziness or me-first athletes. He seems sensitive, so the constant scrutiny could be too much for him.

Playing in the Northeast is not for everyone. Ask Javy Vazquez. And many others. ;)

Sandra

Ummmm,
A-Rod is a very sensitive guy

Until he has an o fer in a playoff game in october

If that happens, I'm sure there will be A-Rod haters here who try to stir that up. But it's not like that in New York anymore. I guess you have to be here, the vibe is totally different.

You can't go to lunch in Times Square a couple of times, New York's version of Downtown Disney, hang out with the tourists, and decide you have a read on the pulse of Yankee fans. ;)

Yankee fans know A-Rod is a huge reason the 27th championship banner is flying in the South Bronx. It would take something like a full o-fer-October meltdown, not just one bad game, to get Yankee fans to turn on him again.

Sandra

Last edited:
like I mentioned before, is this a normal thing for him, the lack of hustle or just this time ?

You can criticize Alex Rodriguez for many things...but lack of hustle is never one of them. Hanley Ramirez, I'm not sure...but once would be too much in New York. He would have lots of 'splainin to do, and rationalizing it by saying 'some of the other players don't hustle too' would be a VERY bad idea around here.

Sandra

If that happens, I'm sure there will be A-Rod haters here who try to stir that up. But it's not like that in New York anymore. I guess you have to be here, the vibe is totally different.

You can't go to lunch in Times Square a couple of times, New York's version of Downtown Disney, and decide you have a read on the pulse of Yankee fans. ;)

Yankee fans know A-Rod is a huge reason the 27th championship banner is flying in the South Bronx. It would take something like a full o-fer-October meltdown, not just one bad game, to get Yankee fans to turn on him again.

Sandra

Well, thats good to see ....
Ive been an Alex Rodriguez since he came up, before he was nick named.

Wow, that is ugly!!!

As I've said before, there isn't a player in baseball with more talent than Han-Ram. But you can't be insubordinate to that extreme...........that's just awful!! :eek:

Maybe it's no coincidence that when Hanley first came up with the Red Sox in late 2005, the player he looked up to was Manny Ramirez. ;)
The first I heard of this the other day was on a ticker on ESPN. I saw 'Ramirez' and 'lack of hustle' and immediately assumed it was Manny!!

You can criticize Alex Rodriguez for many things...but lack of hustle is never one of them. Hanley Ramirez, I'm not sure...but once would be too much in New York. He would have lots of 'splainin to do, and rationalizing it by saying 'some of the other players don't hustle too' would be a VERY bad idea around here.

Sandra

Sandra,
this post was not directed at A-Rod

Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
like I mentioned before, is this a normal thing for him, the lack of hustle or just this time ?

I was directing it at Ramirez, did I type Rodriguez instead ? the meds I'm on are making my typing an adventure, being only able to use 1 hand now ...

What do PLAYING YEARS have anything to do with talent? The ONLY thing that has been suspect was his glove on routine plays....and he has improved that in the last couple of years.

He has NOTHING to prove talent wise....and he is WAY beyond "raw ability". He just has an extreme diva mentality...which like Jimbo said, if there was some 'senior leadership' in the club house....this crap would not be happening.

I don't rate a player's talent on potential. I think it is a blend of raw ability, like Ramirez has, and what that player does with the talent. Look at someone like Kevin Youkilis. Now I am no Boston fan, so don't think I am bumping him because of that. In fact, I am a Yankee fan. He plays at a higher level for his talent than Ramirez, who has much more raw talent. His career numbers are not that far off of Ramirez'. If Ramirez tried half as hard as Youkilis, I would agree completely with you. To me, Ramirez is nothing more than a spoiled brat who needs to be taken to the woodshed by his teammates. There must be someone in that clubhouse that will stand up to him and show him what it takes to make it in the big leagues.

I don't rate a player's talent on potential. I think it is a blend of raw ability, like Ramirez has, and what that player does with the talent. Look at someone like Kevin Youkilis. Now I am no Boston fan, so don't think I am bumping him because of that. In fact, I am a Yankee fan. He plays at a higher level for his talent than Ramirez, who has much more raw talent. His career numbers are not that far off of Ramirez'. If Ramirez tried half as hard as Youkilis, I would agree completely with you. To me, Ramirez is nothing more than a spoiled brat who needs to be taken to the woodshed by his teammates. There must be someone in that clubhouse that will stand up to him and show him what it takes to make it in the big leagues.

This is a great point. I wish the Red Sox had Ramirez and not Youkilis...that guy really annoys me with all those hits he gets!

Sandra

There must be someone in that clubhouse that will stand up to him and show him what it takes to make it in the big leagues.

Unfortunately for Hanley Ramirez (and the rest of the Marlins) the 'senior leadership' in the Florida clubhouse is...Hanley Ramirez. ;)

Sandra

Sandra,
this post was not directed at A-Rod

Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

I was directing it at Ramirez, did I type Rodriguez instead ? the meds I'm on are making my typing an adventure, being only able to use 1 hand now ...

No, I wasn't sure, that's why I mentioned both. Looking back at your post now, I'm not sure why I couldn't figure out you were talking about Ramirez. Probably because I'm a dope. :)

Actually, I was listening to the FAN promote today's Mike Francessa interview with Mikhael Prokhorov, and I was a little drunk myself thinking about what a net worth of $13 BILLION actually means. :eek: :D

And he's 45 years old!

Sandra

This is a great point. I wish the Red Sox had Ramirez and not Youkilis...that guy really annoys me with all those hits he gets!

Sandra

Youkilis reminds me a lot of Paul O'Neill. If I had a team of guys that put out the effort they did/do, I'd have one of the best teams of all time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts