Mass Exodus from Voom to DirecTV in October?

Actually DBSTalk is reporting what we reported here at SatelliteGuys a few months ago.

It seems as thought DirecTV will soon have all the mainstream HD channels (Bravo, TNT, Cinemax, Starz etc) however the thing VOOM has going for it is that they have their 21 exclusive channels which have been steadily improving.

Yes DirecTV is planning a fight and it should be interesting to see what happens.

I just don't see it happening. I don't care what DirecTV does it will take them awhile to get as many HD channels as VOOM has. Either way, more HD, whether it is from VOOM, DirecTV or Dish Network is a good thing.

kaw

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually DBSTalk is reporting what we reported here at SatelliteGuys a few months ago.

It seems as thought DirecTV will soon have all the mainstream HD channels (Bravo, TNT, Cinemax, Starz etc) however the thing VOOM has going for it is that they have their 21 exclusive channels which have been steadily improving.

Yes DirecTV is planning a fight and it should be interesting to see what happens.

Scott, The great things with rumors is that they "become" new every day..lol..

The great part of a strong competion is (most of the time) the consumer wins. This would never be happening if Dish had been allowed to buy DirecTV.

HD - game on!

If Dish has been allowed to Buy DirectTV, we would have had 32 Full Transponder at 101, 110, & 119. Then you can reduce the number of duplicate Locals which co-ocupy TP space. Right now its D* 46 and E* 50. Together they would have 96 TPs from a single company. There would be enough room for a lot of HD, expecially on the spotbeams.

For the sake of comparisions, Voom currently only uses 13 transponders. Imagine Voom with 7x the capacity.

Seawaves said:
See this link,

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=31082

Voom better come up with some WOW HD, new channels and a DVR to fight the Murdoch machine or this could well be the straw that broke the Camelvisions back!

Actually, I believe the mass exodus is from DirecTV to Voom. Always promises...never action by D* and E*. No WOW factor with D* and don't need a DVR.

Scott Greczkowski said:

WOW ....DTV is really looking to be agressive here. Its a good thing for us but not for VOOM. If DTV adds Starz, Cin , TNT, Bravo...and locals....and has the footblaa package with alot of HD games...DTV is the place to be. Yes VOOM can improve their exclusives...but can they or any service for that matter compete with DTV if they add all that? I love VOOM but I also sub to DTV and Im very excited about what they are planning to do. But Im asking myself...if DTV adds all those HD ch's , do I keep VOOm for the exclusives? Hmmmm.

Not me I'm staying right here at Voom. I guess I should add: Same channels more money, not me.

Cyclone said:
If Dish has been allowed to Buy DirectTV, we would have had 32 Full Transponder at 101, 110, & 119. Then you can reduce the number of duplicate Locals which co-ocupy TP space. Right now its D* 46 and E* 50. Together they would have 96 TPs from a single company. There would be enough room for a lot of HD, expecially on the spotbeams.

And instead of using it for HD they would have planned locals for every minor market and every shopping channel ever contemplated.

Seriously, in the tradeoffs game, combining the two was not and is not an antecedant for doing the right thing.

If DTV scares Voom into more HD with better PQ, then this is a great thing. If Voom sits still and has no resposne the end is sooner than we think ( C. Little- circa 1938) How about it Voom, what's it gonna be?

Like anyone would abandon Voom to subscribe to the crappiest DBS system on the planet!!!

Right!!!

Scott Greczkowski said:

If Directv Does All The Mainstream HD Channels (SOON) and Puts Them At The 101 Sat. I Would Leave VOOM.
Yesterday We Got Some Rain & Yep Rain Fade. My D* Setup On 101 Sat. NEVER NEVER NEVER Has Rain Fade.
I HATE RAIN/CLOUD FADE!!!!!!!

keno said:
Actually, I believe the mass exodus is from DirecTV to Voom. Always promises...never action by D* and E*. No WOW factor with D* and don't need a DVR.

What,it is somewhat being reported that Voom now has 35,000 subs,which is awful if correct and a real high churn rate,if D* adds those channels and does not increase price along with a lot of NFL games in HD,plus all those SD channels that our wifes want,it could be bad times for Voom.

JimP said:
I serously doubt that anyone at Voom is sitting still.

Think about it. Their jobs are at stake.

And thats why everything is working so well now. :rolleyes:

In order for Voom to stay alive in this arena is to release a relatively bug-free PVR and sell it at a third of the price as the HDTivo and increase picture quality. It's that simple. If they can't do that, then why are they here? Remember, Voom is still the underdog when it comes to subscriber numbers and they are the company that needs to have a better deal than the other two. The other two can just do what they can to get by and they will still have the subscriber numbers.

And let's not fool ourselves here. Nearly everybody here subscribed to Voom for six reasons: CinemaxHD, StarzHD, TMCHD, EncoreHD, PlayboyHD and BravoHD. Notice none of those are "Voom Exclusives." I don't know many people on here that said, "Oooh...I really need to subscribe to Voom so I can watch MOOV all day in HD!" or "If they didn't have UltraHD, I wouldn't be subscribing, but since they do, I'm in!" Please! Once DTV has at least 4 out of 6 of those channels I mentioned above, the other 2, plus the Voom exclusives are hardly enough to keep people around.

And what about Voom's recent price increase? At $200 for installation, $9.50 per month for leasing a receiver and the rate increase, you've got to be wacky to sign up for Voom. The one thing Voom had going for it (more good HD channels) will be "the norm" and they will need to make some serious changes to keep subscribers and gain new ones.

Sounds like Voom has done something good: Create competition and increase HD awareness to it's competitors. :D

keno said:
DO you have any clue about what you are saying? Directv signed up 455,000 subs this quarter, locked into 12 month contracts, and over 400,000 last quarter. Last time I heard we hadnt even reached 40,000 subs total since Oct 2003? I think you need to rethink your position.Voom isnt even a bleeding pimple on D*'s a$$ yet.
Furthermore, If anyone thinks that the free Tyson fight was a good thing they should think again. It was an indication of just how low our subscription rate is. We must have so few subs that showtime didnt care, or so few that voom could afford to foot the bill.

keno said:
Interesting math.....

In the last quarter, D* had a net addition of 455,000 new subs. Voom has an estimated total of 30,000 - 35,000.

Sean Mota said:
Where is the announcement about HD channels like: Starz, Encore, Cinemax, TMC, TNT?
Very good point. I see that Scott wrote about DTV getting some mainstream HD ch's like the ones listed above. But in DTV's conference call today HD was talked about as something they would be adding big time in 2006-2007. I didnt see any mention of Starz and the rest of the prem ch's. For anyone who hasnt read it these are some quotes when asked about adding new HD ch's to the DTV lineup.
"In terms of HD, I think HD takeup will still take awhile. I continue to believe that HD though is clearly important in terms of market perception, marketing leadership, and the like. It has been our goal to try and maximize in the short-term…again, where we’re going is, if you go out to the end of ’06-’07, like we’ve said before, we are investing in a handful of satellites that as we get out to that timeframe – will give us the full-fledged capability to compete from a Local and National HD offering that can compete with anybody. Our goal has been to as much as possible have a strategy that enables us to bridge to that period of time. I think actually over the last set of months, we actually feel better and better about how much we’re going to be able to offer as we go forward. We’re going to expand significantly this year, you know off the satellites we launch will give us new capabilities for HD CONUS channels this year so we actually probably have a much stronger set of short-term offerings than certainly what we would have expected 6 months ago, let alone 12 months ago - in terms of the breadth of national local offerings in this 3 year period as we head towards that next generation of capabilities that really get us to a full-fledged competitive place."​
To me this means that they cant add everything that they would like right now. But there is no announcement of what specific HD ch's that are going to be added in the short term. He just mentions that their HD offerings are ahead of where they thought they would be. Either way I credit VOOm for pushing DTV in the HD arena and I credit cable for pushing VOOM into offering local HD ch's in what would be the largest markets. Competition fuels HD goodness for us the viewers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts