May 1st where will you be? Dish, Cable or DirecTV?

I also just signed up with comcast, two hd receivers, one HD PVR one regular HD receiver, free installation

I am getting their platinum package with HD

Here is their HD lineup:

fox
nbc
ind
cbs
abc
pbs
inhd1
inhd2
fsnba
discovery-HD
ESPAN HD
NFL network HD
HBO HD
Cinemax HD
Starz HD
Showtime HD

Nothing compares with Voom, but I think the content is better than what dish or direct offer

Maybe not...

T2k said:
... some kind of under the table deal...

Maybe not... The FCC is hardcore about who can broadcast what where, and over whose power lines. No joke, in my old neighborhood bellsouth landline phone service was on one side of the street, and Alltel was the other. What blows, is that bellsouth owned ALL of the lines! They are required to let the underdog (varies by market) compete, even if it means by using their own preexisting wiring.

Go go gadget good idea!

kennyboy3 said:
I will be going to OTA and perhaps take Blockbuster up on their $29.99 a month MOVIE PASS.:)

I can't speak for your market, though I'm fairly sure their nationwide price is now $14.99!

T2k said:
Is there any Firewire-enabled HDDVR box from TWCNYC?
If so, they are just as good as Dish, I guess - are they?

Wow... Time Warner enabling a "geek" port? NOT A CHANCE! I have a pace micro box from TWC, and purchased a $200 monster DVI for it, only to find out (after opening the cable and plugging it in...) that the DVI port is NOT ACTIVE... When I contacted a CSR, I was informed (a little too late) that the port was not active, and that they had absolutely no reason as to why they did not want Pace to enable said port when they had ordered however many boxes.. Please let me build a house, and brick in the front door... That would be cool!

One perk...

TWC is offering their version of multi-room DVR, or the "whole-house" option as some might know it. This means networkable HD DVRs. This service is already available (as of the last few weeks) in my area here in North Carolina... If you want to shell out for it, their SD picture quality is well above average, and their HD quality frankly depends on the source ; )

Yeah...just found out by doing a little searching...I went to a few places which you order programming ala carte...I found that to be very interesting....wouldn't be nice if you could do that with your sat or cable provider....cut out some of the fat! I must say, I found the possibility to get into C-Band....until I saw the prices on the acutal dishes...WOW!!

I went to COX cable today and picked up my boxes. I got the HD DVR and another regular box for the munchkins TV.

I went out and hooked up my old cables this morning and unhooked all the VOOM stuff. I am now on cable and reduced to 10 HD channels. I sure will miss TNTHD, UHD, GUNSLINGERS, CRIME, HDNEWS and RAVE

It was fun while it lasted. I have been with VOOM for over a year and HATE to see them go!

The ONLY plus I can take out of this is I ordered the MLB package but it's all SD so even then it NOT all that much to jump up and down over.

If VOOM comes back in some other form I will dump COX and be back VOOMin or whatever they decide to call it.

Thanks SATGUYS for a great site and I wish ALL VOOMers the best of luck with their future HD provider choices.

On a side note: What are all the PQ whiners going to do now? LOL

Just spent a little time calling D*, E*, Comcast, and WideOpenWest to see what their HD offerings are like.

Looks like I'm going back to just good ol' OTA.

The only offer that sounded even a little appealing to me was E*, where I could subscribe to just the HD channels. There's only five of them (wow), but it's only ten bucks a month. The catch is I'd have to buy a $450 receiver to watch them. I'll probably just wait and see if they add more channels down the road and see what they're offering then.

D* and the cable companies are pathetic. I pay fifty bucks a month now for some 25 HD channels. There is no chance that I'm going to pay more, and get four or five HD channels. Just not gonna happen.

ChrisDuncan said:
The one I have is made by Samsung. It's actually a much nicer box than Voom's. It has a set of component inputs so you can run your DVD player through and it will be upconverted to 1080i. This doesn't seem to actually help the picture quality any, but it's a good option for convenience.

Maybe you can get a better deal than I got. I ordered mine by calling Directv.

Are all Ultimate Electronics going out of business?

I intitially thought just our area store was, but a GOogle Search says Ultimate Electronics selling off all stores--not totally positive, but doesn't look good.

They were carrying a LOT of HD sets and VOOM going under will probably put the lid on their coffin for sure.

They also distribute Direct TV, but when I went in the store, I could not see either the SD or HD on any large screen HD tv--could it be because of the PQ?

If they did show it, it would NOT sell HD tv's!

Plywodstatebum said:
Well I had D* & E* at the same time and E* was much worse and thats the opnion's of about 6 different people that looked at my system. But I guess we all could be blind.

PQ on D vs E--do you know what size screen these 6 people were using for their evaluation? What size is your screen?

I have just reordered Comcast cable, full digital and Internet. It runs $133/mo, including the internet and all channels, or about the same as VOOM within a few dollars if you do not count the internet. They have about 11 HD channels including inhd1 and 2 and all locals in HD.

I also reactivated my DTV hdef recvr for minimum package and the hidef option. THat runs about $43.99. It gives me hdnet and hdnet movies, UHD, DiscHidef, the NY and LA locals in hidef (8 channels), which is very cool!

So bottom line is that I now get 14 LESS hidef channels than I had for $40/mo MORE and need to switch between 2 boxes to see them all.

NOT A GOOD SOLUTION, but I'll do it for a year, until I can see a better solution.

I do have a TIVO, that I plugged my cable and DTV into, so it does have a merged guide, I can tune with it, and then switch the tv to the component inputs for the respective service when I find what I want to watch.

I'm going to refuse to pay anyone a huge monthly fee any more until we get an HD satelite service back equal or better than Voom. I'll live with OTA, and $10 limited basic cable until then.:no

As much as I hate to give my money to either D or E, because of how they raped and damaged Cband(which I still use for some subscriptions and FTA), I will have no choice but to go with one of them and the winner of the sucky contest is E. I wouldn't go there, but there is just too little HD on CBand.
Patrick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts