May 1st where will you be? Dish, Cable or DirecTV?

well, cost wise I can get a heck of alot more from comcast HD & DVR than I was paying DTV for full service but no HD. When I told DTV was gonna cancel they asked "Why?" I said because right now both you and comcast offer about the same programing and I just cant afford to pay out a grand for hd dvr based on "Promises of more hd coming (call me when its there hehe) and he admitted that turthfully they have no idea when maybe by end of summer but no garuntee's. I just dont want a vender specific box I cant use anywhere else and then if they change compression schemes and such might have to buy another unit etc. He did offer me a 200 credit to my bill if would buy their box but I just cant justify paying 1K when I can get 2 hd dvrs for 18 a month via comcast and if formats change I wont be stuck since their leased boxes as improvements come they will just swap em out. I even have already found some good guides on how to use the Firewire to pull recordings from the Comcast Boxes to my PC to make disc's of shows I really like.

Plus, my guess is if Voom21-Content remains after Voom death that it will most likely turn up as an offering on cable before D* E* simply because either would be in effect acknowledging that Voom did have something good.

I checked this Forum for Dish and Direct-TV and nothing much there, so for those of you who know more about either of these providers, if it is not possible to see a demo PQ on a LARGE screen HD tv of their HD and SD, do they have a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can cancel within that time if you are not satisfied?

Unfortunately, neither Dish or DirecTv have enough HD content to justify the equipment cost....plus there is that whole pesky switch to MGEG4 which will render most (if not all) of the existing receivers obsolete.

Cable seems to be a safer haven right now...Cox serves my area and their HD DVR is $13.95/month for essentially the same channels as Dish & DirecTv PLUS my local networks in HD. No long term comittment and alot more cable channels make it a better fit for me. I will be sacrificing some picture quality..but that's what I need to do until Dish or DirecTv get their HD acts together.

I'm quite happy going back to OTA, but the wife has got to have her Lifetime channels. :rolleyes: Well, it looks like we're going with the Adelphia Gold Advantage Pak and three SA8300HD HD DVRs. I called Adelphia a short while ago and was quoted a price of $136.80, plus tax....which includes our broadband internet. I was paying $104.80 for Va Va VOOM and then another $55 for stand alone broadband.

I'm not too keen on Adelphia, but the 12 HD channels (4 are locals we already receive OTA) are more than what's being offered by E* or D* at this point in time. Plus, there is no expensive hardware to purchase and no commitment. We'll keep Adelphia through the summer and see what E* and D* have to offer this fall.

I'm saving $20 a month, gaining 3 HD DVRs and will be receiving 12 HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX. HBO, SHO, STZ, ESPN, HDNET, HDNET Movies, INHD1 and INHD2)...DiscoveryHD and ESPN2HD rumored to be coming soon. However, I will be losing Cinema10, Monsters, Equator, WorldSport, Rush, Rave, Gallery, Auction, Lab, Animania, HDNews, UniversalHD, TNTHD, WealthTV and, more importantly, the company and comraderie of so many wonderful VOOM Forum members. I will miss reading Sean's programming updates and skillful monitoring of the VOOM Forum, The Timm's movie reviews, TYork's helpful installation insight, Ilya's technical wizardry of all things VOOM...and I could go on and on and on and on. Yes, May 1st will be a sad day indeed.

As of May 1st, I will be viewing OTA only. Don,t understand everyones rush to alternative(inferior) services. Why not just hang on til the bitter end and see how it all shakes out. I am just as upset at the prospect of losing V* as everyone else, but I can wait to see who offers what, and still have hopes that somehow Chuck will pull another rabbit out of the hat.

FAYRICH said:
As of May 1st, I will be viewing OTA only. Don,t understand everyones rush to alternative(inferior) services. Why not just hang on til the bitter end and see how it all shakes out. I am just as upset at the prospect of losing V* as everyone else, but I can wait to see who offers what, and still have hopes that somehow Chuck will pull another rabbit out of the hat.

The mad rush to other services is based on many things for me and OTA does not cut it.

My son wants cartoons.

I want sports (MLB, the NFL when it kicks up, and the NHL if they ever play again)

My girlfriend wants her channels.

There are many more reasons but I think you get the idea. Am I happy about going from 39 HD's to 11? NOPE! But the change over to a new service is required for my household.

Comcast GREAT deal

I have to change my vote. I voted DirecTV BUT Comcast has the best deal I've heard so far. I already cancelled Voom but I still have Dish for SD. I told them I had Dish and they said if I let them take down my dish and turn in my receiver I get Comcast's HD DVR, Digital Plus, HBO, plus the HD channels for $29/month for an entire year no contract. I told them sign me up and I added Starz and Cinemax on top just for fun. And to make it even sweeter my high speed internet with comcast went down $15. :D

i hate that Voom will be gone!!@#$52#@@@damm!!

i am really upset, i loved VOOM!!!!!! i will miss RAVE,TNTHD,EuroLeaguebasketball on WorldSports and UPNHD, Playboy HD channel was great to!!!!!!!!! i guess i will hold my nose and go with Adelphia till someone makes a real comitment to HDTV. i have a NuView stereoscopic 3d camcorder attachment and i shoot a lot of 3d field sequential 3d( George Lucas is converting all the 2d StarWars movies to 3d stereoscopic digital HD,and will rerelease them in this amazing 3DHD processes,by 2006-2007 several large high end electronics companys are close to 3DHD for the home, James Camron,Peter Jackson, Robert Zimmeckis, Steven Speilburg are adopting this new 2d-3d HD Digital conversion demonstrated at ShoWest in LV in March , of there movies. another demo of this amazing technology will take place at the NAB in LV next week) right now i have to use field sequential shutterglasses and a standered NTSC tube tv to see my 3d footage. future of HDTV will be 3D digital 3DHDTV as early as 2007-2008

Comcast was suppossed to install at my house today between 9-11 this morning. When 1:00 P.M. rolled around and no one showed I called and cancelled

I have dish and Voom right now, and there is NO way I would let them take down my dish.

Frankly, for me it was a blessing that they didn't show up. It had me thinking about what exactly I am paying for. I want HD content, and even Comcasts content isn't that great.

I will just sit back and wait.

Whoever has the best content and quality will get my business, and I don't mean a bunch of free local HD channels which I can get already, along with 4 HD premium channels, I want something that compares with Voom or nothing at all

In the meantime, when Voom shuts the switch off, I will just keep minimum service with dish, and wait to see who will become the HD leader

I also called Direct TV today just to get information, and they indicated that two satellites would be launched within 2 months, and before the end of the year they would add significant HD content.

I will wait and see

whoever has the best content and quality will get my business

I am thinking of getting DirecTV with their current offer of 49$ for a DirecTV DVR.

I would need some help from you guys here.

I have a Sony KDF-55WF655 HDTV LCD RPTV. If I get the 49$ DirecTV DVR with the 3 months free of premium programming, after which I get upgraded to their TOTAL CHOICE PREMIUM package, and receive their HD channels, would that be fine? Would I still need a DirecTV HD or DirecTV HD DVR receiver, or is the 49$ DirecTV receiver good enough for my TV, since it is an HDTV monitor, with a built in ATSC HD tuner for OTA HD?

I would imagine getting the 49$ DirecTV DVR and their current offer would be as close as I could get to Voom, but I just need to be sure.

I checked Comcast, and entered my zip code, but they apparently do not have any offerings in my area.

Boy, I am going to miss Voom!

Thanks.

Hope some of the Voomers will join the big dish world :) can get a free big dish any place you look, and if you thought Voom looked good you will love the HD/SD on the BUD.

Just signed up for Comcast digital cable.

Not a great service, it does have about 9 hd channels, does have a 2 channel hd-pvr. Got the all channel platinum, using the 'drop the dish' promo, for only $6.25 more than I was paying for digital classic+hd box.

This is good for 16 months.

Not a bad deal. So, say hi to inhd and inhd2 again, goodbye to Voom 21 :(

No more flipper, thunderbirds :( :(

You will still need to buy the Direct tv HD unit, think $350 & $399 with OTA ant, to view DTV HD channels. If your wanting to DVR HD programing you would need to get a DTV HDDVR unit which runs $999 & 1099 with OTA ant. Also keep in mind if they, DTV, changes their compression you might have to buy a newer box in the future. I decided to give comcast a shot for now and wait to see how fast DTV gets its hd together before I invest in 1K worth of equipment that may be rendered useless in near future

fireman1000 said:
Please forgive me for asking, but are there any options for D* or E* that don't require a year contract???

I think E* has a deal for new customers with leasing equipment and no contract.

Installed Charter HD today. Two tuner DVR, 9 HD channels (4 are networks). God, I am going to miss Voom.

Well, since I had D* before and own all of the equipement, I guess that's where I'll be May 1st. From what I hear D* will upgrade my HD receiver whenever they do their upgrade. Cable isn't an option for me because of my rural location and since D* has NFL ST games in HD, plus some FSN NBA games in HD, I won't consider E*.
I have been a V* sub for 1 week now and lovin' it and I can't believe the shutdown. I just keep flipping through all of the HD channels 'cause I can't believe how many there are. I guess it was just a glimpse into the future...?

FAYRICH said:
As of May 1st, I will be viewing OTA only. Don,t understand everyones rush to alternative(inferior) services.

I've gotta have Comedy Central (Daily Show, South Park), Cartoon Network (Adult Swim) and Boomerang (for my husband) so we're switching over to digital cable on the 30th. I don't watch much network OTA, except for Fox (and only for Simpsons) which we get well with analog OTA.

I will be hacking satellite main frame computers creating a constant beam of a voom signal to my home and enjoying voom after the end of April..... I will have hidden control of the rainbow satellite.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)