Me-tv goofing up lately?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
My lnbf for 105w G16 is 4 degrees off center, with 101w being the center. Steady 53% and never had issues. I have nothing pointed at 99w. All my dishes are stationary due to trees limiting the usefulness of motors for me . I'm in the woods with trees surrounding me closely.
Wow. I think I'll reset my skew again and see if that helps. I know I should be able to get those feeds.

Try everything when in doubt. Bump east west, skew, try it all if you have to. Me not knowing about motorization you could get ABC and goof up all other sats maybe?

Try everything when in doubt. Bump east west, skew, try it all if you have to. Me not knowing about motorization you could get ABC and goof up all other sats maybe?
My dish has a motor, but it doesn't work. I just move it by hand, which after a while (and its only been about 4 days), you get tired of it real quick! :biggrin I'll certainly do all I can do get use feeds. The ABC and NBC feeds as well as Me-TV were on my C-Band wish list. What I got? Nothing.:oldfrown But I'll keep trying. At least I know my dish is big enough to get them!:clapping

Drag the TV and some beverages out to the dish and I'm sure you will have it worked out in no time.

Reactions: TheBUDGuy
Sounds like you need to do more tweaking on your dish. Just went and moved over to 101W and everything is showing a Q of 70. This is with an 8 footer in NE Wyoming.

As soon as you can, you should get your actuator working. Life is much better with an automated mover.

As for the ABC feeds on 99W one set I get up to 85Q on the other it is around 74 or 75. NBC on 105W is around 60 while NASA is usually a good 70+. I usually just catch the NBC on Ku, as the Ku dish is usually there for Kozi anyway.

Good luck on getting it tuned up.

I checked that me-feed on 99w when it was messing up here on 101w, it also was screwing up! Also , had already tried bumping dish east/west a little, no help there. Deleted and rescanned the tp, same result-weaker signal level and freezing picture. Today, it seems to have fixed itself, no problems whatsoever. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a little TI around here that might be switching on/off. Either that, or I haven't gotten the c-band lnbf on my 10' dish tweaked just right yet. I do seem to be getting all the other H & V signals on that bird just fine, other satellites also. I'll figure it eventually but for now it is good. Thanks for all the posts.

The last time that I scanned SES1 I got without difficulties Decades, Heroes, Heroes ALT (Q70%), but no MyTV. I had to play with the skew to get the signals, getting around Q63%. You might try to do the same.

Mike

The last time that I scanned SES1 I got without difficulties Decades, Heroes, Heroes ALT (Q70%), but no MyTV. I had to play with the skew to get the signals, getting around Q63%. You might try to do the same.

Mike
That's the exact trouble I'm having. I'll do that when I get a chance.

That's the exact trouble I'm having. I'll do that when I get a chance.
Well, I know the issue must be with the skew of the LNBF. H&I Alt comes in at only 40%-45%. Decades, H&I, and Movies are at 70%. Me-TV 1 & 2 still 0%. The TCT mux is about 20%. The Viacom mux at 30%. GLC is at 70%. The signals are all over the place! I'll reset the skew tomorrow. I have got to fix this mess! :oldmad The focal depth (the side markings on the LNBF) is at .38. Should I change that also? I think I tried .40 the day we put it up and it didn't work, so ahould I keep it on .38?

Well, I know the issue must be with the skew of the LNBF. H&I Alt comes in at only 40%-45%. Decades, H&I, and Movies are at 70%. Me-TV 1 & 2 still 0%. The TCT mux is about 20%. The Viacom mux at 30%. GLC is at 70%. The signals are all over the place! I'll reset the skew tomorrow. I have got to fix this mess! :oldmad The focal depth (the side markings on the LNBF) is at .38. Should I change that also? I think I tried .40 the day we put it up and it didn't work, so ahould I keep it on .38?

Definitely try tweaking the skew, you are in the ballpark, but not at homeplate yet.

Looks like you tried this a little:
Also can set the marks on the side, F/D ratio to the correct number for your dish, but the focal length, measured from the deepest part of the dish to about 1/4 inch inside the LNBF can still be way off.

Disregard the F/D number on the side for now. Loosen the screws and move the LNBF closer to the dish slowly and observe
signal strength, Does it increase or go down? Move the LNBF away from the dish if you need to.

I had a dish where I set the LNBF to the correct F/D but the signal was terrrible. I moved the LNBF closer to the dish
and BANG! Q increased like crazy! My solution was to drill new holes in the LNBF arms, where they attached to the dish,
so it brought the LNBF closer to the dish. That way I could set the proper F/D.

Last edited:
You can set the marks on the side, F/D ratio to the correct number for your dish, but the focal length, measured from the deepest part of the dish to about 1/4 inch inside the LNBF can still be way off.

Disregard the F/D number on the side for now. Loosen the screws and move the LNBF closer to the dish slowly and observe
signal strength, Does it increase or go down? Move the LNBF away from the dish if you need to.

I had a dish where I set the LNBF to the correct F/D but the signal was terrrible. I moved the LNBF closer to the dish
and BANG! Q increased like crazy! My solution was to drill new holes in the LNBF arms, where they attached to the dish,
so it brought the LNBF closer to the dish.
We didn't drill any new holes. We put the support arms back where they were before. But I'll take your advice and move the LNBF closer or father to the dish. I'm beginning to feel more confident that it's the LNBF causing this trouble. I'm not saying there's something wrong with it, it's just how we (me & my father) put it up. I'll mess around with it tomorrow when I can. On the topic of FD, we tried both .36 and .40 and we got nothing. So I know we probably got the FD right.

When I tuned for 101W I did the following:

Tuned to Metv and adjusted dish back and forth/up down until It came in better.
Adjusted skew.
Adjusted LNBF in and out.

When I tuned for 101W I did the following:

Tuned to Metv and adjusted dish back and forth/up down until It came in better.
Adjusted skew.
Adjusted LNBF in and out.
I'll do that! If this works, a virtual high-5 will be coming your way! :biggrin All kidding aside, my dish (10') is big enough to to pick up Me-TV as well as CBS, ANC, and NBC, correct?

We didn't drill any new holes. We put the support arms back where they were before. But I'll take your advice and move the LNBF closer or father to the dish. I'm beginning to fell more confident that it's the LNBF causing this trouble. I'm not saying there's something wrong with it, it's just how we (me & my father) put it up. I'll mess around with it tomorrow when I can. On the topic of FD, we tried both .36 and .40 and we got nothing. So I know we probably got the FD right.

There have been some dishes in the past where the scalar could be adjusted independent of the arms.
You would set the F/D then adjust the LNB scalar assembly in or out for best Q all the while retaining the F/D adjustment.

I'll do that! If this works, a virtual high-5 will be coming your way! :biggrin All kidding aside, my dish (10') is big enough to to pick up Me-TV as well as CBS, ANC, and NBC, correct?

I pick up MeTV, and NBC with an LNBF thats 4 degrees off center. I have not tried for ABC.
Others may chime in but CBS Feeds are 4:2:2 and not many receivers can get those signals?
I'm assuming you are trying for CBS on 89W? If so, you may not be able to get those.

A common installation mistake is to set the FD ratio and walk away. Both FD ratio and focal length are important, but the focal length is most important.

Once the focal length is set, if the scalar is no longer in the correct position, then it is time to adjust or modify the support legs (or buttonhook) to place both the scalar and the focal length at the correct settings.... Then there is the random wild card adjustment that optimizes everything! :D

I pick up MeTV, and NBC with an LNBF thats 4 degrees off center. I have not tried for ABC.
Others may chime in but CBS Feeds are 4:2:2 and not many receivers can get those signals?
I'm assuming you are trying for CBS on 89W?
Isn't CBS on 89W 4:2:2 also? Now in retrospect, I do get The CW on 97W. I'm mostly interested in the classic TV networks such as Me-TV. I do get Me-TV OTA, but my affiliate decides to make local commercial breaks longer and they cut most of the programming.

New A common installation mistake is to set the FD ratio and walk away. Both FD ratio and focal length are important, but the focal length is most important.

Once the focal length is set, if the scalar is no longer in the correct position, then it is time to adjust or modify the support legs (or buttonhook) to place both the scalar and the focal length at the correct settings.... Then there is the random wild card adjustment that optimizes everything! :D
It'll be worth it once I adjust everything! I will say this, the FD ratio on my dish is correct. I'll probably just have to adjust it slightly up or down and also adjust the skew a little in the process. I'll update my progress as I do it also.

A common installation mistake is to set the FD ratio and walk away. Both FD ratio and focal length are important, but the focal length is most important.

Very well put!

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)