Michigan hires rich rodriquez

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
breaking news at espn.com that rodriquez is the new wolverine coach. i like the hire although, i think west virginia's play against pitt, stank!

Mike0616

SatelliteGuys Pro
I'm loving this. Hope ESPN got it right THIS time, instead of like the Les Miles mess.

You have to realize that ESPN is owned by Disney, the same as ABC. That is why ESPN now uses the ABC credo of news reporting: "We don't care if its accurate, just as long as it draws more headlines than flies."

IF ESPN had any class at all, that reporter would have corrected his error via an apology long ago.

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
You have to realize that ESPN is owned by Disney, the same as ABC. That is why ESPN now uses the ABC credo of news reporting: "We don't care if its accurate, just as long as it draws more headlines than flies."

IF ESPN had any class at all, that reporter would have corrected his error via an apology long ago.

That's dumb...do you know ANYTHING about sports media/reporting?:confused: What, you think HE dug the info himself?? He was reporting news GIVEN/WRITTEN for him. Have ESPN and their writers/directors/producers read out an apology....NOT the reporters fault.:rolleyes:

Mike0616

SatelliteGuys Pro
That's dumb...do you know ANYTHING about sports media/reporting?:confused: What, you think HE dug the info himself?? He was reporting news GIVEN/WRITTEN for him. Have ESPN and their writers/directors/producers read out an apology....NOT the reporters fault.:rolleyes:

LOL, he sure took the credit for it and defended it when it was 1st aired.

I take it he is a member of your family? :)

markh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 10, 2003
SW WI
Les Miles should send ESPN a thank you card. He's staying at a school where he's playing for the national championship and he's getting more money all thanks to the buzz over him going to Michigan. We should all have it so good.

Michigan not finding a coach immediately just shows it's hard to pry someone away from a good program, especially when those teams have bowl games coming up. How come Michigan didn't hire from within the staff they have now? I've been wondering that since they started looking. They must have somebody there that would make a good head coach.

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
:clap I wonder if Skip Bayless will recant calling Les Miles a liar this whole time?

skip bayless is an a**.

defending what salsa said, i spent over 25 years in the news business...i truly believe the reporter went with the info he or she was given at the time from what they thought was a reliable source. and i would be willing to bet, it was accurate at the time espn released it.

how many times friday were they reporting that david cutcliffe was the new duke coach. duke denies it, then says....yeah, we just hired him.

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
skip bayless is an a**.

defending what salsa said, i spent over 25 years in the news business...i truly believe the reporter went with the info he or she was given at the time from what they thought was a reliable source. and i would be willing to bet, it was accurate at the time espn released it.

how many times friday were they reporting that david cutcliffe was the new duke coach. duke denies it, then says....yeah, we just hired him.

Lemme repeat what Ice just said...Skip Balls-less is a COMPLETE ass****!
You guys listen WAY too much to what universities and coaches say. College coaches are NOTORIOUS for talking out of both sides of their moves when it comes to "I am staying" and "I am leaving". It is a little chess game between the university presidents and the agents of the coaches.

I think I just defended SH** Bayless....I think I just threw-up in my mouth....:what:yikes

mccoyrj

SatelliteGuys Master
Aug 27, 2007
Southwest Ohio
...i truly believe the reporter went with the info he or she was given at the time from what they thought was a reliable source. and i would be willing to bet, it was accurate at the time espn released it.

But it wasn't.

On that Saturday morning (12/1/07), Herbstreit reported that "barring unforseen events, Michigan would announce that Miles would accept their head coaching job and...that Georgia Tech defensive coordinator and interim head coach Jon Tenuta would go with him." He knew himself it was still just speculation, and threw in the "unforseen events" part in an attempt to cover his arse if things didn't turn out the way he said.

Herbie was trying to beat everyone to the punch and his arse wound up getting bitten instead of covered. It's all part of entertainment journalism. :)

joedekock

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 12, 2005
West Michigan
ESPN has become somewhat of a monopoly in the sports reporting/broadcasting field. They need some good competition. Unfortunately FOX, or anyone else feels it is worth it. Its sort of like CNN. For a decade they had the crown of "News leader" and they got such big heads about it, they started to think they could "predict the news". This led to a lot of bad, false and biased reporting at times when it simply was uncalled for. Along comes FOX News to restore order, and it did not take long to bump CNN from their throne. The result is that CNN was forced to bring the public better, truthful, and more un-biased reporting.

ESPN does the same thing. They think they are the Gods of the sports world, and that if it does not have ESPN involved in it, then it is not worth anything. They knew that a ton of people were dialing in ESPN waiting for anything to happen with an update on the Michigan job. They got wind of a rumor, and ran with it without following up and checking the source. (ala Dan Rather and CBS). It is simply not fair to do to the public, or the school, or the Coaches. Look at what they put Les Miles and LSU through by doing that... twice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)