GEOSATpro microHD - Endless Boot issue yuck!

Perhaps a "safe mode" feature should be added in the firmware like we have on the AzBox miniMe American Edition where holding down a certain key on the remote control while the unit is booting would at least do a factory reset in order to clear the corrupted channel list. This would allow users to recover their receiver without having to use the recovery cable.

Best regards,

Not possible to incorporate a safe boot mode on this firmware with the current hardware. The STB would need to be modified to include front buttons as RCU commands are not initiated until boot is completed. This is a ALI boot sequence and not firmware addressable.

Fortunately, following the steps for firmware and database updates will prevent this issue.

Not possible to incorporate a safe boot mode on this firmware with the current hardware. The STB would need to be modified to include front buttons as RCU commands are not initiated until boot is completed. This is a ALI boot sequence and not firmware addressable.

Fortunately, following the steps for firmware and database updates will prevent this issue.

You should try to get ALI to implement a safe mode feature in the SDK then or at least have them change the module load order so that the remote control driver loads earlier in the boot process in order to allow for a safe mode routine using an RCU key to be implemented.

You could also manually load the RCU driver in the firmware for only a few seconds earlier in the boot process before the channel list is loaded as part of the safe mode check function and unload it once the function completes execution.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Not possible on current chipset. SOC have many applications that are interdependent. SOC designs have many benefits, but occasionally something that appears very simple cannot be accomplished.

Step by Step

Since the forum was reformatted, we've lost the step-by-step stickies. It would be great to have these again! Please look over my list I copied from old instructions on the forum and see if everything is still accurate or if I have duplicated steps that are not necessary:

1. Download, unzip, open and save the latest update (.abs file) onto your USB drive on your computer. After the file is saved, properly close out and remove the USB drive (Skip this step if you plan to update by satellite).
2. Insert the USB drive into the microHD rear panel USB port.
3. Press Menu key then press the Down Navigation Arrow key to select and highlight the Tools Menu icon.
4. Press the List/OK key to display the Tools Menu screen.
5. Press the Up or Down Navigation Arrow key to Select "Save to USB."
6. Select "userdb" under Save Mode and then select "Start" to save the microHD User Data Base (.udf) file to the USB drive.
7. Press Exit on the remote.
8. Select "Update by USB" in the Tools menu. (You may skip steps 8 - 10 and do an upgrade by satellite here, if this applies to you).
9. Select "Allcode" under Upgrade Mode and choose the .abs file on your USB drive you just saved under Upgrade File. Then select Start.
10. Press Exit on the remote.
11. In the Tools menu, select "Factory Reset." Select "Yes."
12. Press the power button and unplug your receiver for 10 seconds.
13. Reconnect the receiver and allow it to boot normally. Wait until it rediscovers your USB drive before continuing.
14. Press Menu key then press the Down Navigation Arrow key to select and highlight the Tools Menu icon.
15. Press the List/OK key to display the Tools Menu screen.
16. Press the Up or Down Navigation Arrow key to Select "Update by USB."
17. Press List/OK key to display Update by USB screen.
18. With the Save Mode line highlighted, Press the Right Navigation Arrow key to select userdb
19. Press the Down Navigation Arrow key to highlight Upgrade File.
20. Press the Right Navigation Arrow key to select the desired User Data Base (.udf) file. Example: USERDB.udf. (Warning: make sure that your .udf file was made with firmware version 0.13 or newer).
21. Press the Down Navigation Arrow key to highlight Start.
22. Press the List/OK Key to initiate the User Data Base file transfer to the microHD.
23. When the warning screen appears, select Yes if you wish to continue with the User Data Base loading or No to escape without updating the receiver.
24. The update is now in process and cannot be interrupted. During this process it is critical that the power is not interrupted or shut off. A power interruption may corrupt the User Data Base file transfer and cause the receiver to be inoperable.
25. Once the Update by USB is complete (status bar at 100%), the microHD power will turn off then the unit will reboot.
26. We recommend that the microHD be disconnected from power for at least 10 seconds. This will reset the unit and clear any memory buffers.
27. The User Data Base (.udf) update with the saved User receiver settings, satellite, transponder and channel list and is now complete. If the system is motorized with USALS settings, the USALS installation location's Longitude and Latitude will need to be inputted.
28. The User Data Base update is now complete and may now return to watching TV!

28 manual actions to upgrade the firmware. If you skip Step 11, you corrupt the .udf file. Corruption symptoms may not show up for weeks after using the receiver reliably for weeks. This must have been what happened to me...

What I'm not clear on is if it is absolutely vital to Factory Reset and Power cycle twice (immediately after updating the firmware and loading a .udf file). In any case, it would be nice to make a cleaned up, simplified version in a pretty format. I see a sticky PDF file :)

I know Brian said something about it being necessary for one thing but maybe not both. In any case, I always factory reset and power cycle twice.

I don't recall the old info that well, but I don't believe it was as clear and detailed.
Specifying HOW as well as WHAT to do, is very helpful.
?Thanks.

We have heard no reports of the receiver looping due to a corrupted .udf with version 13 or higher firmware using the attached satellite list if a factory reset and power cycle was done after loading the firmware.

Would be interested in the specifics of what was deleted and the sequence leading up to this event.

By chance, was the channel list edited and reloaded to the receiver? Need to confirm that the channel list is the original and wasn't saved and reloaded or an older channel list from an older firmware version.

I used the latest software. I did do a factory reset but may not have disconnected the power afterwards.

Here is what happened:

I loaded four satelites on each leg of my diseqc switch. I decided to change my port 2 from 87W to 97W. I then added 97W to port 2 in the program by use of the remote. Now have two satelites on port two in the microHD, I then decided to erase all the channels on 87W while in the "channels" menu. Later when while I was watching TV, I hit the "sat" button on the remote. It still listed the five satillites including 87W where I previously erased all the channels. I tried to toggle down to 97W but hit 87W by accident. Since I have no channels there, the MicroHD went into its endless boot cycle.

Ok guys, this is getting kinda stupid! What is the reoccurring theme in each of these boot cycling/looping posts?

EVERY firmware release we write in the release notes to perform a Factory Reset then remove the Power Source. In the .ABS FAQ we instruct to perform a Factory Reset then remove the Power Source.

Every .udf Data Base file release and in the .UDF FAQ we instruct to remove the Power Source after loading or reloading the User Data Base.

I understand that folks don't like reading directions, but really.... :facepalm

Bad things will happen if you choose not to follow the instructions. If you are unsure about how to update, don't! Read the instructions provided with the online files or ask BEFORE updating.

That is all... I am now climbing down off of my soapbox. :D

Suggestions, edits, etc.?

View attachment 90640

Great job! Clean layout and easy to follow! :up

Only two suggestions:
1. Placing the STB into stand-by mode before removing the power source. These steps are unnecessary.

12. Press the power button and

26 .... press the power button to shut it off.

2. Add the word "Optional" before 14. Restoring your settings (Satellite and Channel lists)

Hopefully this can become a Sticky as the other FAQs are disappearing into the vastness of the STB Support forum...