MLB Magic Numbers and Eliminations

How do you determine Magic Numbers? I know Bill told me about it a couple of years ago but I forgot.
Its always hard when your winning a division or going for the wild card because if you win a division, yes, you can rest people but what about trying to get home field? If your going for the wild card, its like all hands on deck, trying to at least win the wild card. The disadvantage is also that you cant rest your pitchers or hitters because they are needed to win.

Tigers are in a interesting situation, they're IN, trying to rest players and losing games and position because of it.
Setting up the rotation for the playoffs shouldn't be that hard, they have 3 Starters that probably won't pitch in the playoffs, those three are pitching (number 4, 5 and Jacob Turner (rookie)) while it's good for Turner to get experience, he's not done much with the outings he's had (2 or 3).

How do you determine Magic Numbers?.

You take the record of the team chasing to get in and then assume that they win every remaining game and then see how many wins by the tentatively qualifying team are needed to make that impossible. The only exception is that when teams play each other, it is a given that one must win, so prior to the Yankees clinching, for example, a magic number for Tampa Bay's elimination would have to factor in that when the Red Sox and Yankees play each other, one has to win. It is not possible for both the Red Sox and Yankees to lose all of their remaining games.

Updated:

American League
Yankees: clinched division title.......HFA MN- 2
Tigers: clinched division title.........First Round HFA MN- 6
Rangers: division MN- 2................First Round HFA MN- 7
Red Sox: playoff berth MN- 5

Still Alive: Rays, Angels

Mathematically Eliminated: Orioles, Blue Jays, Royals, Twins, White Sox, Indians, Mariners, Athletics

National League
Phillies: clinched division title AND HFA
Brewers: division MN- 2..........First Round HFA MN- 6
Diamondbacks: division MN- 1
Braves: playoff berth MN- 5

Still Alive: Cardinals, Giants

Mathematically Eliminated: Marlins, Nationals, Mets, Astros, Cubs, Pirates, Reds, Padres, Rockies, Dodgers

Meaningful games tonight:

American League
Red Sox (Lester) at Yankees (Garcia)- 7:05pm ET
Orioles (Simon) at Tigers (Porcello)- 7:05pm ET
Blue Jays (Morrow) at Rays (Price)- 7:10pm ET
Mariners (Vasquez) at Rangers (Harrison)- 8:05pm ET
Athletics (Gonzalez) at Angels (Weaver)- 10:05pm ET

National League
Braves (Hudson) at Nationals (Strasburg)- 7:05pm ET
Marlins (Volstad) at Brewers (Gallardo)- 8:10pm ET
Cubs (Dempster) at Cardinals (Carpenter)- 8:15pm ET
Giants (Cain) at Diamondbacks (Saunders)- 9:40pm ET

Red Sox-Yankees game has been ppd. They'll play a day-night DH Sunday in the Bronx.

Jon Lester will now pitch tomorrow's game (4:00pm ET on Fox).

Bill, I dont know if you listen to them but I watch "Dennis and Callahan" on NESN and Im trying to see the mood of Red Sox Nation. It seems like they are more stunned than anything. They did show an interview today of Francona ripping on some reporter. Francona and that whole team must be nervous as hell. They got all the pressure on them and the Rays really have nothing to lose. Not to jinx you or anything, I know a thing about collapses myself.

Bill, I dont know if you listen to them but I watch "Dennis and Callahan" on NESN and Im trying to see the mood of Red Sox Nation. It seems like they are more stunned than anything. They did show an interview today of Francona ripping on some reporter. Francona and that whole team must be nervous as hell. They got all the pressure on them and the Rays really have nothing to lose. Not to jinx you or anything, I know a thing about collapses myself.
Yeah, the mood around here is definitely anger. The Sox need to take at least 4 out of 6 (irregardless of what the Rays and Angels do), just to show they belong in the postseason.

Toronto helping out the Red Sox tonight...........the Jays lead the Rays, 5-0...top of the 6th

I dont know but it will be hell to pay because somehow I think there could be a tie with the Red Sox, The Rays, The Angels. Whatever happens one team is going to be worn out going into the postseason.

Updated:

American League
Yankees: clinched division title.......HFA MN- 2
Tigers: clinched division title.........First Round HFA MN- 5
Rangers: clinched division title.......First Round HFA MN- 6
Red Sox: playoff berth MN- 4

Still Alive: Rays, Angels

Mathematically Eliminated: Orioles, Blue Jays, Royals, Twins, White Sox, Indians, Mariners, Athletics

National League
Phillies: clinched division title AND HFA
Brewers: clinched division title ........First Round HFA MN- 5
Diamondbacks: clinched division title
Braves: playoff berth MN- 3

Still Alive: Cardinals, Giants

Mathematically Eliminated: Marlins, Nationals, Mets, Astros, Cubs, Pirates, Reds, Padres, Rockies, Dodgers

Jimbo, I know but I would have to look it up to see teams that were worn out going into the postseason, yet did very well. First team that comes to mind, are the Rockies in 2007. Didnt they have a very grueling one game playoff versus the Padres and made it to the World Series.

Meaningful games today/tonight:

American League
Red Sox (Lester) at Yankees (Garcia)- 4:10pm ET
Mariners (Hernandez) at Rangers (Ogando)- 4:10pm ET
Orioles (Guthrie) at Tigers (Verlander)- 7:05pm ET
Blue Jays (Romero) at Rays (Niemann)- 7:10pm ET
Athletics (Moscoso) at Angels (Williams)- 9:05pm ET

National League
Braves (Beachy) at Nationals (Wang)- 1:05pm ET
Cubs (Lopez) at Cardinals (Lohse)- 1:10pm ET
Marlins (Sanabia) at Brewers (Greinke)-7:10pm ET
Giants (Surkamp) at Diamondbacks (Kennedy)- 8:10pm ET

Cardibals now 2 back and Giants 4 and 1/2 back and will be 4 back with win and be out of wild card chase with loss tonight to arizona :)

Cardibals now 2 back and Giants 4 and 1/2 back and will be 4 back with win and be out of wild card chase with loss tonight to arizona :)
The Giants are out of it. The best they can do is finish in a tie for the WC by winning every single game with Atlanta losing every game AND St. Louis losing at least 3 or more games out of the 5 left. This is nearly impossible. If it does happen, they still have to play in at least a 1 game playoff. Since the best they can do is tie and are behind 2 teams, I do not see this happening at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts