MORE BREAKING NEWS: Cablevision files SEC Form 8-K

Dish will need to be adjusted. But a single dish looking at both birds was/is out of the question...

MarcelV,

The dish would be fine, but we would need a new LNBF (low noise block/feedhorn): Rainbow 1 uses circular polarity, and AMC-6 uses linear (horizontal and vertical) polarity.

Do you think Cablevision is going to send out all those lovely installers to switch the LNBF? No.

It's over. You guys are grasping at straws.

Your best hope is the the Voom Exclusives get turned into an INHD, HDNet type of deal. But it will not be on Voom as you know it. Your stb will be worthless. Sorry.

E* also files SEC Form 8-k

See here (click on 1st listed doc dated 01/21/05).
Nothing new or surprising:
Item 8.01 Other Events.

EchoStar Communications Corporation announced today that it has agreed to purchase certain satellite assets from Rainbow DBS Co., a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation for $200 million. See Press Release, dated January 20, 2005, “EchoStar To Purchase Satellite from Cablevision” attached hereto as Exhibit 99.1.

Tried to start a new thread on this, but could not. So I will toss this out here. It seems to me to be a strange coincidence that FCC chairman Powell tenders his resignation just when Voom seems to be imploding. Mike Powell has been a very strong proponent of HD over the years. Any significance here?? Probably nothing there, but just strikes me as maybe there is some connection. At any rate, I will hang on til the lights go out, and then possibly content myself with OTA.

> It seems to me to be a strange coincidence that FCC chairman Powell tenders his resignation just when Voom seems to be imploding.

I think it's just a coincidence. Voom is so small that it mattered that much to Mr. Powell. He may think himself that he was a "strong proponent" of HD, but he really has not done that much regarding the subject.

Hong.

Voom offered a ton of HD channels I never knew existed. East/west HD feeds you DO NOT see anywhere else. And then vooms own HD programming. No...I don’t think this turkey is as dead as it looks. Vooms failure was its implementation, not its offerings. They'll come up with a way to use voom to add to E*'s advantage.

Yes, VOOM will live. Elvis himself just made a huge investment and plans to personally install the new LNBs for every subscriber.

bruce said:
What are you smoking, investors will have lawsuits up the a** against Cablevision if they continue Voom in anyway, Voom has shown that it cannot make money, cannot gain any type of Market Share ( subs ), and all it will ever be is a drain on Cablevision assets, CVC stock is up more then $3.00 a share on the news today, what do you think the stock price will be if they announce Voom will continue.

By the way, they have a buyout of $100 million to get out of that buliding sat. deal.

I'm wondering why there is no enterprising Attorney out there to take on a "class action suit" against Cablevision by the owners of the Voom receivers. Many people have purchased their receivers for $400+, and after next month, will be no good. Maybe the numbers aren't there. Assuming that 10,000 subs purchased their receivers, this would only be $4 million. But I doubt 10,000 subs purchased. I personally would not be able to be in the Class Action suit because my receiver was a gift from Intall's Inc.

Cablevision's filing said:
As noted above, the Companies are continuing to explore strategic alternatives for the remaining Rainbow DBS related assets and are not able at this time to establish a definitive time frame for completion of that process.
In other words THEY DON'T KNOW what they are doing with 166/177 DBS, the five satellites they have on order, or their plans for ka slots. Still working out the details of how to sell the rest.

Using the remaining assets would be difficult. They could not afford to run the service on their own satellite - how could they run it on a rental or another newly purchased bird? Do you realize how much Rainbow LOST on Rainbow1? It would be bad business to repeat the errors of the past - or make new ones that are worse.

BTW: AMC-6 is a FSS satellite, which means a bigger dish and lower frequency LNB than DBS .. not just a difference between H/V and circular polarity.

JL

"Rainbow DBS’ VOOM programming service will continue to provide service to its current customers during a transition period."

The implication being..."no service after the transition period" since they bothered to even mention this in the first place, IMHO.

Zookster said:
"Rainbow DBS’ VOOM programming service will continue to provide service to its current customers during a transition period."

The implication being..."no service after the transition period" since they bothered to even mention this in the first place, IMHO.

But the key question is transition to what? to darkness or to another alternative for customers?

gutter said:
But the key question is transition to what? to darkness or to another alternative for customers?
Transition to not owning a satellite to broadcast on. If they wanted to waste MORE money per subscriber they could move the HD service over to AMC-6. But WHY? They just made $200m to get out of a satellite. That covers a lot of old losses. Why make new ones?

They will probably just send out ClubDISH cards. :D Hmmm ... $5 referral for 26,000 customers per month for the next year. That's another $1.5 million. (Not quite, as many Voom customers remained E* and D* customers, and ClubDISH offers a credit on your bill not cash.)

I do expect some offer would be made to Voom customers. But I do not expect it to be exceptional.

JL

justalurker said:
I do expect some offer would be made to Voom customers. But I do not expect it to be exceptional.

JL

I do think it would be exceptional. The numbers tell. current value of a cable or satellite customer is projected by analysts to be over $1500 each. That is 30 million dollars in potential worth to be added to a company. Would you throw that away or let your competitors take it if you can buy it?And we as customers are an asset just as a cable customer is. That is how cable companies value and sell their properties.

gutter said:
I do think it would be exceptional. The numbers tell. current value of a cable or satellite customer is projected by analysts to be over $1500 each. That is 30 million dollars in potential worth to be added to a company. Would you throw that away or let your competitors take it if you can buy it?And we as customers are an asset just as a cable customer is. That is how cable companies value and sell their properties.

Because without Voom we all have to do something anyway. And most of us already have biases against D*, E*, or cable.

These companies already have marketing plans in place to get customers, why change them drastically for Voom customers which were such a small share of the market, when most probably already have an idea of their preference without Voom.

I'm not saying there won't be any offers. There's even a possibility that they might be better than what's already out there. But I don't understand why it would make business sense for them to be exceptional given all the facts.

Sure I would love an exceptional offer, I just don't expect one, especially given the treatment these companies give their existing customers. It's far more expensive to get a customer than retain an existing customer, yet they sure dodn't try very hard. And it wouldn't have taken that much versus the cost to lose the customer in many cases. This speaks for itself.

jame_g said:
But I don't understand why it would make business sense for them to be exceptional given all the facts.

As I said adding 30 Million dollar in assets in just one quick step. That is what we are worth to a company. To you it may be small potatoes. But I still call that money.

gutter said:
As I said adding 30 Million dollar in assets in just one quick step. That is what we are worth to a company. To you it may be small potatoes. But I still call that money.

But it's not one quick step. You avoid the obvious, plus business realities.

1. No one company will get all of our business regardless of the offer.
2. We all have to make a decision anyway.
3. D*, E*, and cable already use the facts you give to drive their existing marketing programs.
4. Vooms small customer base is not worth the cost of a potential bidding war for our business.
5. The $1500 is a loaded number. It's way off in the future, it's not today. Plus it's less any special offer that they tack on, and the cost of the unique marketing program.
6. If a company makes an exceptional offer, they risk making this the new business model. Or at a minimum having to go back and cough up the bucks to other potential new customers and existing customers who find out about the offer and feel unfairly treated. When you look at the D* and E* customer base and entire potential market versus the potential Voom customers it's probably not worth the cost risk to do something exceptional.

gutter said:

If you are worth billions, 30 million is insignificant.
I used to work at a bank with 20 billion in assets. I was once told that $250 million was insignificant. It's only about 1.25% of its worth.

I am jumping ship already

I had made the decision to go with Voom over Dish last June, and it was a tough decision. I have been less than pleased with the quality and reliability of Voom though the number of HD movie channels is decent (the rest of the HD is just filler). So - I went out yesterday and signed up for Dish. It was that or Directv, and Directv does not seem to be offered by many dealers around here and those that have it carry both and are pushing Dish.

I thought about waiting to see if Dish offered some carrot, but when I thought about it there is not much for them to gain since they already offer free install and free hardware, and their prices beat their competitors even with the increases. If they do nothing, they will get 50-60% of the Voom customers, and a carrot won't tempt many of the others. My wife thinks we should have waited to see if Voom really folds and to see if Dish makes any grand offer. I just don't see Voom making it or Dish making a grand gesture.

I believe that both Directv and Dish will go mpeg4 and will add HD content over the next year and within 18 months, Voom will be forgotten. I wonder if Voom will even bother sending out someone to collect the dish and receiver - not much value there. Lastly - the reason I believe that Voom will not make it is that if they expected to continue, they would have had a statement out immediately outlining their plans and detailing their financial backing. They do not seem at all interested in giving us any realistic assurances - just the old party line "don't worry, be happy..."

26,000 customers at $1500 "value" would be $39million.
But what would it cost to service those customers?
V* lost $3k PER CUSTOMER in just one quarter last year.
V*'s customers seem to have a negative value.

If people want to believe pipe dreams that's fine with me. But I'm not smoking. :D

JL

Vooms programming is dead as well....they already started laying off some of the freelance emplyess in the production department.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts