MPEG4 Upgrade Discussion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Plywodstatebum said:
No Offence on the Beast Bi. sry..Beast I mean some of us went to stores to buy our D* equipment instead of getting it from D* because we wanted to choose the receiver we wanted.

oh boy, where have u been in the past ? :rolleyes:

Directv is only making their own stb's now,
so what u get, thats what u'll use, no questions asked :)

Plywodstatebum said:
No Offence on the Beast Bi. sry..Beast I mean some of us went to stores to buy our D* equipment instead of getting it from D* because we wanted to choose the receiver we wanted.
i doubt that d* will screw us in that fashion cause the money ends up with d* in the end no matter where we buy it . for the upcomming upgrade to them its gonna be if u have an hd reciever its getting swapped out

beast37799 said:
i doubt that d* will screw us in that fashion cause the money ends up with d* in the end no matter where we buy it . for the upcomming upgrade to them its gonna be if u have an hd reciever its getting swapped out

Customers who bought their HD hardware at a store like Best Buy will get the same replacement and deals that a customer would get if he/she got the hardware via DirecTV. Also D* does know what specific model and brand you have because you tell them that when you activate the box and its tied to your access card as well. So if you bought an HD Tivo from Best Buy D* still knows that you need an HD DVR replacement without even asking you what you have.

Just to further elaborate on LonghornXP post above. Their is no difference to DIRECTV where you get your HD equipment from long as you purchased it from a authorized dealer.

-robert

VE Advanced Digital Technology Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Just to further elaborate on LonghornXP post above. Their is no difference to DIRECTV where you get your HD equipment from long as you purchased it from a authorized dealer.

-robert

VE Advanced Digital Technology Dealer

Thanks for pointing that out and I hope that most on here now understand how this will all pan out. You tend to fill in my many gaps.

So you have to have HD now to get the upgrade? I have been holding out because there wasn't anything worth while on D* as far as HD is concerned and that it is watered down so to speak. Should I get a HD rcvr now to get the upgrade? Should I run around my TV with a dead chicken so that my SD rcvr upgrades itself? :D

iceblue said:
So you have to have HD now to get the upgrade? I have been holding out because there wasn't anything worth while on D* as far as HD is concerned and that it is watered down so to speak. Should I get a HD rcvr now to get the upgrade? Should I run around my TV with a dead chicken so that my SD rcvr upgrades itself? :D

Hey nobodies getting freebies,
you have to have it, to get it ;)

My original guess was that the top 12 DMAs would be converted this fall, but it now sounds like we will be converted by the end of August if Lee's statement is correct. Since I'm in the first group, I'll be curious to see what D* offers up to replace my well-and-truly hacked HD Tivo. If they don't offer me archiving and a large amount of space, they may lose this customer pretty darn quickly.

Later,
Bill

In my opinion it is not worth the money to buy a D* HD receiver right now. You pay $250+ for the equipment and $10.99 per month for the HD service only to get is 5-8 channels of down-rezzed HD programming? To get any of the new channels they will be adding in the next two years you'll need upgrade to a different receiver and knowing D*, it isn't going to be a free upgrade either. So, why buy a D* HD receiver now? Save your money and watch what you've got untill the new receivers come out.

The reason they are upgrading to MPEG 4 is so they have the room to convert a lot of channels to HD. 1 standard def Mpeg 2 channel is 1/4th the size when encoded as Mpeg 4, and 1 HD channel in Mpeg 4 is about the same as a standard mpeg 2. So if every thing was converted to Mpeg 4 they could do all channels as HD. Also ALL D* recivers will be replaced with a Mpeg 4 at some point. But the HD recivers will be first. All this will also help with new DVR's. You will be able to record a lot more in Mpeg 4.

-TIR

I have two questions:
1. will we have to have phone line connected to our new HD-DVR?

2. Since the compression is MPEG4, can we record any HD on our DVD recorders & the DVD will play on our DVD players?

Barney

1. I have no idea about that. I do know that all newer tivo's can be updated though the net so there isnt any need for the phone line

2. Im sure you still will be able to do that it will just take longer to burn the disk because the DVR must convert the file from Mpeg 4 to Mpeg 2.

DDeming1 said:
Okay,
1.What are the 12 top markets??
-AND-
2.What does D* mean?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

1. New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Detroit and in this case Tampa.

2. D* = DirecTV most acronyms can be found in the SatelliteGuys Glossary located at the top of the page.

charper1 said:
I also agree that their will be at least 2 - 4 new HD offerings to help satisfy some HD hunger during the HD-LIL roll out.

when they say local channels in HD does it mean all networks or only the four big ones (Abc, ncb, csb, fox)? Also, could any of the voom channels be also addes or are do they belong now to Dish only?

thanks!

We have some new info now. What I was told is that anyone who has HD equipment will get new HD equipment at no charge. The bad thing is that there won't be a HD-DVR that's MPEG-4 compatible until Spring 2006.

I would say go get the HD now, then get upgraded for free.

Beavis said:
We have some new info now. What I was told is that anyone who has HD equipment will get new HD equipment at no charge. The bad thing is that there won't be a HD-DVR that's MPEG-4 compatible until Spring 2006.

I would say go get the HD now, then get upgraded for free.

LonghornXP,..........what am I saying.....don't see it happening soon....

Beavis, any link to this info?

Barney

No public info yet. I work for D*, that's how I found out about it. I'll see when the official press release is.

Let me understand this...........the 1st group will begin (rumor) sometime in July..........but at best the HD-DVR won't be out for another year. then that tells me (rumor) it will be a few years for the HMC.....if this is true........I'm going to save my bucks............bye-bye D*...how much is a tube of silicone...to fill in the holes in my roof.

This sux's..................they keep my sub until school starts (Aug 16).....my son goes to kindergardern.........nothing then.......its bye-bye DSS systems all together.....

Barney :mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)