My answer to Equity Broadcast problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Flat Scalar for 1.2 offset dish was new information to me.
Please re-read the discussion above relative to f/d on the particular dish.
We need to get some tests on 1.2m Primestars and Fortec Star 1.2m dishes before carving this in stone. - :D

Also, I gave a link to some tests by ACradio on using a flat scalar on an offset dish.
That suggests with critical tuning, a flat could function surprisingly well.

1Adam12-

Thanks for posting the specs. That sounds right, all of it. I did add the extension for adding additional cones and posted the demensions but can not remember which site I posted that on. I have been a member of every FTA site on the web at one time or another, but this is my home now. Sounds like I have grown a following on this subject. But let the credit go to where it truely belongs. I was inspired initially by a member of the Sadouns web forum for FTA, one of the mods there, and will not mention the user name in case it is not allowed. He did a great review of the BSC621 LNB, using it for C-Band on a 1.2 meter dish. This was about two and a half to three years ago. Since then I got envolved testing C-Band on small offset dishes.

Sadoun is a great sponsor of this site and they also have a great forum and great members, I am one of them so I know first hand. Long story short this project was not started by me, but I did go the extra yards in testing.

Research and development somtimes takes a long time, hopefully others will take over where I leave off.

Please re-read the discussion above relative to f/d on the particular dish.
We need to get some tests on 1.2m Primestars and Fortec Star 1.2m dishes before carving this in stone. - :D

Also, I gave a link to some tests by ACradio on using a flat scalar on an offset dish.
That suggests with critical tuning, a flat could function surprisingly well.

Do you have the f/d ratios for those dishes? My dish is the the GeoSatPro 1.2 meter, with an f/d ratio of 0.5.

Last edited:
not much luck:

SatelliteAV lists the GeoSatPro 1.2 meter dish at 0.5 f/d, as you said.

Sadoun site lists Fortec Star 1.2 meter dish as 0.6 f/d.

Prodelin 1.2 meter dish PDF, but no f/d nor focal length listed.

Channel Master 1.2 meter install PDF does not list the f/d , either.

We need to get docs with these measurements into our SatGuy archives, as they are quite difficult to locate on the web.
I wasted a good hour, and this is all I came up with. - :(

Just to add for comparison. The 1 meter dish is was using last year with the conical scaler was a Winegard model DS3101 and has a 0.59 f/d ratio. The smaller 76cm Winegard model DS2076 which I also used testing C-band with a conical scalar also lists the f/d as 0.59.

Maybe some one with the other dishes mentioned can take measurements and do the math to calculate the f/d ratios. However this only works if the dish is basically round. If I recall correctly to calculate the f/d the equation is: (the dish diameter squared divided by 16x the depth at the center of the dish), then divid that by the (dish diameter), or [(DxD/16d)/D]=f/D where as "D" is the dish diameter and "d" is the depth of the dish. Does this formula sound correct to you?

This is really great information! I'm hoping to get my hands on a 1.2M dish for free in a few weeks and then I'm going to dive into the mini-bud project. Looks like I'll have to ditch my current Ku setup and run C/Ku off of the mini-bud. With all the reading I've been doing, looks like the DG-380 and GeoSat dual lnb are the best options. Thanks guys...

Looks like I'll have to ditch my current Ku setup and run C/Ku off of the mini-bud.

I highly suggest keeping the KU setup. Most combo C/KU LNB's are for prime focus dishes. Putting it on a offset dish will make KU go in the crapper. I tried that with my 4 footer and had really bad results

Thanks for the advice, Iceberg, I'll keep the smaller dish on Ku. The 1.2M is a dish only, so I'll have to find the rest of the accessories. I'm sure Sadoun has mounts and tripods that will work.

walrus1957you are geting The Soundtrack Channel what are the PIDS for that channel the ones off the list don't seem to work.

Not at home currently so I can not check the receiver, but I have a saved channel list from a few weeks back on my laptop for all my C-Band channels that I scanned in and Channel Master so I can get you that information.

Here is what I have listed for the Soundtrack Channel on Galaxy 23 at 121W orbital position and scanned in on transponder 3889H SR 13020:

PMT 1003
PCR 2003
Video PID 2003
Audio PID 3003
And lastly Audio AC3 PID as 4003

Wife complains about too many dishes, Cruzin has snappy answer:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/183269-what-dish.html#post1912403

I think you need to let it slip that your SatGuy friends are plannin' to drop by and bring you a twelve foot BUD ! - :D

Regarding Link above:
Anole I :hatsoff: for you!:up How in the world do you remember most of these useful and some funny links you reference here all the time? I wish my memory was that retentive! :)You're Brilliant!:D:clap

I cheat:

How in the world do you remember most of these useful and some funny links you reference here all the time?
I wish my memory was that retentive! :)
I keep a list of 'em in Notepad. - :cool:
That one I remembered, and it was easy to look up (since it was recent).
So, I put it onto my list.

Here's another one from way back.
I just saved the quote:
brentb636: "My wife glares at me when the UPS truck shows up."
I actually used to keep that one as the last line of my signature, here on SatGuys.
(with credit to Brent, of course)

Truth is, this forum is a cornucopia of good humor, and good technical info.
Ya just gotta be able to find the relevant piece when ya need it!
Thanks to everyone for the fertile ground! - :up

walrus1957 The Soundtrack Channel must hate me I still can't get it to come in. I used the information you gave me but no luck.

Using my Coolsat and my dih setup in front of the garage the signal was a little weak only 72% quality level. Once I moved the dish out in the yard a few weeks back I never bothered to tweak the dish to perfection, and if I recal correctly I had to aim the dish at about 121.3W to keep the signal from pixelating but this dropped the 96% quality level on STO and Sprtsmans to around 85%, but was living with the compromise.

I would test again today but disconnected my dish to mow the yard. I just started a new job and have a ton of family planned events coming up so I most likely will not set the dish back up to test for a week or so.

But like Kuil-TV and so many others they could have removed from the satellite or encrypted the channels. Can anyone else confirm if the Soundtrack Channel is still on 121W in the clear?

still there as of about an hour ago. Just was scanning satellites for updates to thelist and it logged in

6ft dish

Thought you needed at lest a 6ft. dish for C band?I have been thinking of investing in C band And was amazed of 1.2 dish reception. I live in northern Mo and read that you live in Neb.I really don't want big dish in my small yard. What are your thoughts on a 1.8 dish for C band? Thanks Dozerdean

Thought you needed at lest a 6ft. dish for C band?I have been thinking of investing in C band And was amazed of 1.2 dish reception. I live in northern Mo and read that you live in Neb.I really don't want big dish in my small yard. What are your thoughts on a 1.8 dish for C band? Thanks Dozerdean

A 1.8 meter dish is what I would like to have which I believe is 6ft. But I do not want the large dish in the yard the wife will not allow it. But you will find that a 6ft dish has its advantages. For instance if it is true that they moved the Soundtrack Channel to the other transponder as Iceberg has noted, I think the 1.2 meter dish I have may not pick that transponder up, but a 1.8 meter should?

A 1.2 meter dish works great for a good deal of the channels with certain formats, symbol rates and FECs, but does not get them all. It depends on what your viewing needs are and your location. But be careful as a lot of the FTA channels on all bands have a tendency to move to differnt transponders that maybe weak and a 1.2 meter dish maynot be able to receive them with enough quality level for good reception.

Just for an example; White Springs TV a KU linear channel recently moved to a different transponder as did FSSN on 91W. So what a certain dish can get for channels one day for KU and Cband may not be true the next.

A small 1.2 meter dish is a great dish to start wth, experiment and get many quality channels. The 6ft dish will improve reception greatly and allow for expanded formats. Larger prime focus 10ft diameter really gets you playing with C-Band, it all depends apon your viewing needs and what you have for a receiver.

Even though I can receive channels from almost all the C-Band sats, I mostly watch 4 channels on 72W Nasa, This TV is on 87W which also can be found on 99W, a few channels I will not mention on 91W for a good reason and some sports channels there, 95W carrys some horse racing and a few other feeds, 97W has a few good channels including KCSG TV, 99W has a dozen channels worth viewing the network channels as well as WHT, on ocassion I get some channels on 107 Anik but come and go, 121W has STO, Sportsmans and The Soundtrack channel or at least it used to have the Soundtrack Channel on a transponder that my 1.2 meter dish could get, and there are a few channels for Alaska I watch on occasion can't remember which sat 131-33-35-37 or 139W they are on, sometimes a movie channel goes in the clear on one of those sats for awhile but think it is an encryption error. But when I add C-band on the 1.2 meter dish it compliments the KU off the 76cm dish to offer me a nice package of valuable channels to view.

If there is a specific channel for standard DVB format C-band that you are curious about and want to know if my setup can receive, I would be glad to let you know if I can get it in without pixelation and can note the signal quality. But you have to remeber I will be using a Coolsat 5000 receiver for this. Should hook up my Pansat 2700 and see how it compares, will try this next time I have time to play around with the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)