My Bucket List

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
OK, at this point here is what I need to see before I'm done...

1. Ohio State/Michigan at the Horseshoe. The whole thing...the spectacle, the game, the pre-game and post-game stuff...and it better be an OSU victory!

2. A game at Lambeau field. Preferably a playoff game when it's very cold. I want to experience that.

3. A game at Pauley Pavilion. I want to feel the history.

4. Summer Olympics, mostly the track and field and basketball but other sports too, preferably somewhere outside the USA...so I can wave my pom poms!

5. The Beanpot tournament in Boston in February. It's always so exciting on TV.

6. The Ironman Triathlon, the Kona Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. Preferably with me crossing the finish line!

7. Rangers/Celtic soccer game in Glasgow. Think Yankees/Red Sox with sectarian violence thrown into the mix. Makes UNC/Duke or Oklahoma/Texas seem like a tea party.

8. AVP volleyball Manhattan Beach open, from the booth sitting next to Chris Marlowe and Paul Sunderland, my favorite announcing team in sports...back together this year after a long time apart.

9. Sitting next to Vin Scully at a Dodger game. Oh my what a treat that would be.

10. Little League World Series in Williamsport. What teams have to go through to advance to this stage is amazing.

I'm leaving out things I've seen...Yankees/Red Sox from both the Stadium and Fenway, and Rangers home playoff games, the loudest place I've ever been.

I'm also leaving out obvious choices, like Jets in the Super Bowl, St. John's in the NCAA finals, Yankees in the World Series, etc. I'm sure things like this go without saying for all of us.

Sandra

My list.

1. Rose Bowl. There may be no finer stadium to host a football game. It's a shame the SB is no longer played there. I'd love to see a game there. I want it all, Song Girls, the bands, seeing a Big Ten team get humiliated.

2. Wrigley Field. I'm not even much of baseball fan, but seeing a game there would be a treat.

3. Attend all 4 of tennis' grand slams. Each tournament is special. I'd love to take them in. The Aussie Open, Roland Garros, Centre Court at Wimbledon and night matches at the US Open.

4. The Masters. I don't slobber over this event like so many golf nuts do. Actually I think the US Open is a more interesting tournament, but the course at Augusta is spectaular and it would be cool to watch the action in Amen Corner or the par 3 16th that has changed so many fortunes.

5. College World Series. Perhaps the most underrated event in sports. No BCS, no steroids, no bench clearing brawls, no 18 year olds pretending to be 14. Just teams playing baseball the right way.

Hmmm....My Bucket List:

1. See the COMPLETE Triple Crown in one year(seen all three, but in different
stages in my life).

2. See The Masters live.

3. World Cup Final.

4. UEFA Futball Championships

I have been EXTREMELY lucky that while working in sports media, I have attended World Series, Super Bowls, NHL Finals, NBA Finals, NCAA Finals, Summer Olympics in 1992 and National Football Championship games. I now wanna see championships in other countries...get the feel for the fans over there.

OK, at this point here is what I need to see before I'm done...

1. Ohio State/Michigan at the Horseshoe. The whole thing...the spectacle, the game, the pre-game and post-game stuff...and it better be an OSU victory!

2. A game at Lambeau field. Preferably a playoff game when it's very cold. I want to experience that.

3. A game at Pauley Pavilion. I want to feel the history.

4. Summer Olympics, mostly the track and field and basketball but other sports too, preferably somewhere outside the USA...so I can wave my pom poms!

5. The Beanpot tournament in Boston in February. It's always so exciting on TV.

6. The Ironman Triathlon, the Kona Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. Preferably with me crossing the finish line!

7. Rangers/Celtic soccer game in Glasgow. Think Yankees/Red Sox with sectarian violence thrown into the mix. Makes UNC/Duke or Oklahoma/Texas seem like a tea party.

8. AVP volleyball Manhattan Beach open, from the booth sitting next to Chris Marlowe and Paul Sunderland, my favorite announcing team in sports...back together this year after a long time apart.

9. Sitting next to Vin Scully at a Dodger game. Oh my what a treat that would be.

10. Little League World Series in Williamsport. What teams have to go through to advance to this stage is amazing.

I'm leaving out things I've seen...Yankees/Red Sox from both the Stadium and Fenway, and Rangers home playoff games, the loudest place I've ever been.

I'm also leaving out obvious choices, like Jets in the Super Bowl, St. John's in the NCAA finals, Yankees in the World Series, etc. I'm sure things like this go without saying for all of us.

Sandra

Until you've experienced an SEC college football game in one of the more wilder venues down South, you haven't lived. ;)

I would like to see every baseball stadium in MLB and a bunch of the minor league ones too.

*This was my 11k post. :D

Until you've experienced an SEC college football game in one of the more wilder venues down South, you haven't lived. ;)

I've been to many a wild football game. If I ever get the chance to attend a game in Tennessee or something I will, but it's probably in my top 25, not top 10. I agree with salsadancer, I would like to see championships in other countries as well.

The Tour de France finish along the Champs 'Elysees in Paris, a UEFA Champions League final, AC Milan vs. Inter Milan at the San Siro, Manchester City vs. Manchester United at Old Trafford...the list goes on and on, and that's just Europe. Games at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro are legendary as well.

If 'wild' is your thing, SEC football does not compare...;)

Sandra

Last edited:
1. OSU vs. Michigan at the Shoe. (I echo Sandra). Everything from tailgating 4 hours before game time, being a part of the Skull Session Pep Rally at St. Johns Arena, marching across the street and into the hallowed grounds with the players and band leading the way. I've been to one OSU football game before (OSU vs. Marshall opening day game in 2001), and that whole experience was the BEST live sporting event I've ever been a part of. I can only imagine an OSU vs. Michigan game would be all of that x1000.

2. Golf's 4 Majors. Attending each tournament at least once. Everything from Augusta National, to one of the many worthy courses for the US Open & PGA Championship, along one from Golf's Homeland in Scotland for the British Open.

3. NCAA Final 4. The Pinnacle of a heightened College Basketball Postseason.

4. US Open (Tennis). My favorite among Tennis' Grand Slams.

5. NHL Stanley Cup Game 7 between two teams in the Original 6.

Sandra -

You have some good ones there. Might I suggest an alternate to # 3?

One of mine is to hit a Big 5 game at the Palestra. Especially to see Villanova lose :) Certainly cheaper than Pauley for an easterner.

And HD MM - believe it or not, as someone who has been to a Final 4, it's sort of anti-climactic. The first 4 days are so much more fun.

(In no particular order)

1. Tour de France mountain stage. I would like to rent an RV and park somewhere the night before, and then spend the morning socializing.

2. World Cup (maybe Brazil 2014?!?)

3. Man United game at Old Trafford

4. A day at the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament. I don't care where or who is playing.

Last edited:
Sandra -

One of mine is to hit a Big 5 game at the Palestra. Especially to see Villanova lose :) Certainly cheaper than Pauley for an easterner.

And HD MM - believe it or not, as someone who has been to a Final 4, it's sort of anti-climactic. The first 4 days are so much more fun.

Thanks for the tip. I did go down to Nationwide Arena (Columbus) a few years back during the 2 opening rounds. While I didn't have tickets, we were a part of the crowd and festivities throughout the Arena district all weekend. We had a blast at the local bars.

Sandra -

I should have mentioned I did that, I went to see Penn play Kansas about ten years ago, it was amazing. Jeff Boschee was a freshman point guard for Kansas. I've also seen a few big 5 games there as well. The Palestra is fantastic (although the parking is terrible), as you're sitting there you can feel the history those walls have seen.

You are correct, this is highly recommended for an easterner.

Sandra

I should have mentioned I did that, I went to see Penn play Kansas about ten years ago, it was amazing. Jeff Boschee was a freshman point guard for Kansas. I've also seen a few big 5 games there as well. The Palestra is fantastic (although the parking is terrible), as you're sitting there you can feel the history those walls have seen.

You are correct, this is highly recommended for an easterner.

Sandra

Seeing games in the old Memorial Collesium in Lexington has that feeling for me. Rupp Arena ain't bad either.

1. OSU vs. Michigan at the Shoe. (I echo Sandra). Everything from tailgating 4 hours before game time, being a part of the Skull Session Pep Rally at St. Johns Arena, marching across the street and into the hallowed grounds with the players and band leading the way. I've been to one OSU football game before (OSU vs. Marshall opening day game in 2001), and that whole experience was the BEST live sporting event I've ever been a part of. I can only imagine an OSU vs. Michigan game would be all of that x1000.

2. Golf's 4 Majors. Attending each tournament at least once. Everything from Augusta National, to one of the many worthy courses for the US Open & PGA Championship, along one from Golf's Homeland in Scotland for the British Open.

3. NCAA Final 4. The Pinnacle of a heightened College Basketball Postseason.

4. US Open (Tennis). My favorite among Tennis' Grand Slams.

5. NHL Stanley Cup Game 7 between two teams in the Original 6.

Did that, "that evil school from the South" lost. so they flattened all my tires for me. Really classy.

A round of golf with Bud Selig, just so I could ask him what the hell has been thinking for the last 15 years. What a moron.

I would like to accidently hit him with a golf club, yes golf club not ball.

A round of golf with Bud Selig, just so I could ask him what the hell has been thinking for the last 15 years. What a moron.

It would start off as a friendly game and end up with being arrested for attempted murder after a OJ Simpson/Al Cowling type chase through the golf course in a golf cart followed by course security on golf carts and caught on CNN by a helicopter.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)