Mystery tuner on Hopper

mpcook

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have one hopper and two joeys, and a sling adapter. Mostly works fine (except not with Firefox) but...I have noticed on a few occasions when failing to get the sling adapter working with my laptop, that my hopper is using two tuners. Each tuner is on a different channel. When I check this by watching the TV on the hopper, I can switch back and forth between the two channels, but both tuners stay occupied. If one of my joeys is also using a tuner, then of course the sling adapter cannot watch TV as there are no free tuners. I cannot figure out (1) how the hopper can occupy two tuners (2) how does this happen and (3) how can I release a tuner. So far, resetting the hopper is the only way I am able to do free up tuners, which is a pita, especially if I am traveling. Does anyone have answers to these questions? I have called tech support and not been able to get them to understand the problem, let alone come up with a solution.

I have one hopper and two joeys, and a sling adapter. Mostly works fine (except not with Firefox) but...I have noticed on a few occasions when failing to get the sling adapter working with my laptop, that my hopper is using two tuners. Each tuner is on a different channel. When I check this by watching the TV on the hopper, I can switch back and forth between the two channels, but both tuners stay occupied. If one of my joeys is also using a tuner, then of course the sling adapter cannot watch TV as there are no free tuners. I cannot figure out (1) how the hopper can occupy two tuners (2) how does this happen and (3) how can I release a tuner. So far, resetting the hopper is the only way I am able to do free up tuners, which is a pita, especially if I am traveling. Does anyone have answers to these questions? I have called tech support and not been able to get them to understand the problem, let alone come up with a solution.
Try a check switch. I had a similar issue. One tuner was just not working.

The Hopper may show having two tuners in use when PIP is not active but the second one is actually available for a Joey or Sling's use when needed.

The Hopper may show having two tuners in use when PIP is not active but the second one is actually available for a Joey or Sling's use when needed.

In my case, the seond tuner being used by the Hopper is not available to use by the sling adapter. Anyone have any solution or explanation? Has anyone else had this happen except garys?

The mystery deepens. I tried to watch CNN just now. I checked the tuners, and two were being taken up by my hopper. I turned off the third tuner (being used by a joey), so I had one free. My IE 9 shows streaming, but no picture or sound. Pressing the red button to view the status of the tuners turned up quite a surprise. The third tuner showed it was taken up by channel 198, CLOO, which I do not have access to due to it being a subscription not in my package. This could explain why it wont show a picture, but why is it connected to a channel I am not allowed to get???

The mystery deepens. I tried to watch CNN just now. I checked the tuners, and two were being taken up by my hopper. I turned off the third tuner (being used by a joey), so I had one free. My IE 9 shows streaming, but no picture or sound. Pressing the red button to view the status of the tuners turned up quite a surprise. The third tuner showed it was taken up by channel 198, CLOO, which I do not have access to due to it being a subscription not in my package. This could explain why it wont show a picture, but why is it connected to a channel I am not allowed to get???

mpcook said:

I had a customer with this issue yesterday. After being on the phone with Dash for 45 min, I was told its a known issue. After talking more witg the customer, it seems to be an issue with the new SW. For w/e reason the channel you pick online & the channel the hopper pulls up are not the same.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

I had a customer with this issue yesterday. After being on the phone with Dash for 45 min, I was told its a known issue. After talking more witg the customer, it seems to be an issue with the new SW. For w/e reason the channel you pick online & the channel the hopper pulls up are not the same.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

Wow, that is kind of a major issue! Would be fine if it picked a channel I could get, maybe I could then change the channel via the browser. As it is, Sling is dead until this is fixed.

I have had a similar issue since I first got mine shortly after they were released. It would be great if there was an easier way to release a tuner for use.

I also see the "second tuner" thing on my Hoppers. I can make the unused tuner show as Available by:
1. Hit the red button and select the show on the unused tuner
2. Select and play a few seconds of a recording
3. Hit the Swap button on the bottom of the remote

This switches the receiver to the show you're interested in and shows the other tuner to be Available

Yes, but why would a hopper grab two tuners if I am not using pip? In fact, I have never used pip.

This is a normal function. If the Hopper is the only receiver in use it will grab two tuners. This gives you the option to use the PIP function. If the tuner is needed by a Joey, if the tuner is needed for a recording or someone tries to use the TV Everywhere function, it will take away the second tuner from the Hopper.

Last edited:
This is a normal function. If the Hopper is the only receiver in use it will grab two tuners. This gives you the option to use the PIP function. If the tuner is needed by a Joey, if the tuner is needed for a recording or someone tries to use the TV Everywhere function, it will take away the second tuner from the Hopper.

Thanks Zach, what about the issue of the hopper selecting a channel I am not subscribed to when I go to watch "live" tv via TV Everywhere? It seems this is more of a problem than the other issue.

Today when I tried to access the sling adapter, the tuner went to the Military channel, another one I do not have subscription to. It showed the tuner occupied by the sling at that channel, but the browser gave me an error and didn't stream the video.

Samsung VCR code

2 hopper system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)