NASA: Final mission for Atlantis begins today

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think that just Discovery and Endeavour will be left after Atlantis retires.

Any word on when the last missions for these two??

Endeavour was the replacement for Challenger but I do not think that a replacement was ever built for Columbia.

Any word on when the last missions for these two??

Here's the current schedule:

Date: Sept. 16 +
Mission: STS-133
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: 11:57 a.m. EDT
STS-133 Description: Space shuttle Discovery will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier 4 (ELC4), a Multi-Purpose Logistics Module (MLPM) and critical spare components to the International Space Station.

Date: Mid-Nov. *
Mission: STS-134
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Endeavour
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Launch Time: To Be Determined
STS-134 Description: Space shuttle Endeavour will deliver an EXPRESS Logistics Carrier-3 (ELC-3) and an Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS) to the International Space Station.

Yes, they pushed back the dates for the final two missions, so after STS-132, there will be a long break.

The launch was successful, and there are no Ku-Band dish problems this time! :) Good luck and Godspeed, Atlantis!

I wonder if they will go back to the Heavy Lifters now. They say the Saturn 5 was the most complicated piece of machinery every built by humans. The darn fuel pump was like 10,000 HP. Perfect safety record as well......

For you star gazers out there the ISS/Shuttle makes for an easy satellite viewing experience. I just enjoyed a very nice 2 minute 47 second fly over. To see if the ISS/Shuttle will be flying over your location you can use sighting predictor below.
Human Space Flight (HSF) - Orbital Tracking

Last edited:
During EVA (Extravehicular Activity, or spacewalk) #1 on Monday, Astronauts Garrett Reisman and Steve Bowen will become high altitude Satellite Guys as they unpack a 6-foot spare space to ground Ku-Band antenna and install it onto the ISS. Hey, it looks nice, but PortaBUD works well for me ;) ... Coverage will be on NASA-TV, and flight day highlights will play on the hour beginning at 6:00 p.m. Central time.

Attachments

• Ku_1.png
    Ku_1.png
    138 KB · Views: 142
  • Ku_2.png
    Ku_2.png
    160.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Ku_3.png
    Ku_3.png
    230.9 KB · Views: 131
Haven't watched a flyover in a couple of months now. Maybe I'll get the chance while Atlantis is docked. Here is a thread I posted last year about ISS watching...

Now that you mention it I remember that thread. I've watching flyovers for a long time. I used to use a DOS program written by the late David Ransom called STS Plus.

STSPLUS Home Page

After installing the software and selecting your location you would download the latest NORAD telemetry.

CelesTrak: Current NORAD Two-Line Element Sets

Then you could track the shuttle and predict sighting opportunities. It was old school but it worked flawlessly. I was able to run the software on a Pentium 100 laptop that I would bring out to the backyard.

During EVA (Extravehicular Activity, or spacewalk) #1 on Monday, Astronauts Garrett Reisman and Steve Bowen will become high altitude Satellite Guys as they unpack a 6-foot spare space to ground Ku-Band antenna and install it onto the ISS. Hey, it looks nice, but PortaBUD works well for me ;) ... Coverage will be on NASA-TV, and flight day highlights will play on the hour beginning at 6:00 p.m. Central time.

I have NASA TV on right now but they don't have any Ku video. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts