NBA 2008-09 Season

Pre-Game Rituals

A lot of teams have creative pregame rituals. Whether it's high fives, custom hand shakes or chalking hands and throwing dust in the air. But the Cavs, as a team have added a new ritual to their pre-game performances...

During player introductions, a serious look overcomes LeBron. He then acknowledges his teammates with a stiff-backed, straight-hand military salute. Immediately, each one of his teammates issue a salute back.

Then, the players arrange in a formation as LeBron holds a pretend camera and they take an "imaginary" photo. (Dubbed "The Family Portrait"). Each of them in a different pose than the night before. Lately, this has been getting a lot of attention around the league. The fans love it and it's pretty entertaining to watch. Personally, I just love watching how much fun these guys are having with each other this year.

Here are a few examples of the recent pre-game "imaginary" photo's taken by the King....

cavs-pregame-picture-090326.jpg

large_Cavs-Intro.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXx0npgNW0I"]LeBron: Pre-Game Camera Work[/ame]

great game last night bill. sure got real close there at the end.

24 points and 21 rebounds for Superman!? Oh my! :eek:

I have trouble understanding why the Orlando team at times seems to focus on shooting 3's instead of just running their entire offense through Big Bad Dwight Howard?! He's the most dominating presence in the paint. Last night was just more proof.

BTW, so much for the Magic tanking after PG Jameer Nelson went down with a season ending injury, huh? This Rafer Alston is filling in seamlessly in Nelson's absence! This is a VERY scary team.

24 points and 21 rebounds for Superman!? Oh my! :eek:

I have trouble understanding why the Orlando team at times seems to focus on shooting 3's instead of just running their entire offense through Big Bad Dwight Howard?! He's the most dominating presence in the paint. Last night was just more proof.

BTW, so much for the Magic tanking after PG Jameer Nelson went down with a season ending injury, huh? This Rafer Alston is filling in seamlessly in Nelson's absence! This is a VERY scary team.

agreed

the big dawg had a great game last night although i think what might have happened if KG could've stayed in the game. still, gotta give props to the magic on a great win.

Congratulations to the Cleveland Cavaliers!

• With last night's win, the Cavs have won their 58th game. This beats the previous franchise win record of 57, shared by the 1988-89 and 1991-92 teams, when Brad Daugherty, Mark Price and Co. could beat anyone in the Eastern Conference except Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls.

• LeBron James has rewritten the history books each season in the NBA and this season moved into another elite category as he joined Oscar Robertson as the only players in NBA history with 2,000 points, 500 rebounds and 500 assists in at just four seasons.

• With the win, the Cavaliers improved to 33-1 at home this season and extended their win streak to 10 games.

congratulations :up:up

damn,the heat got whooped last night despite wade's 31 points :( . miami isn't doing well on the road and dropped to the sixth spot last night. so much for 4th place. while chicago went up a spot

damn,the heat got whooped last night despite wade's 31 points :( . miami isn't doing well on the road and dropped to the sixth spot last night. so much for 4th place. while chicago went up a spot

They have been extremely flat in these two VERY WINABLE road games. That's what happens with a young team and a young coach. THIS kind of effort 2 games in a row would NEVER, EVER happen under a Reilly coached team! WHY is Beasley not playing more? WHY is Daquan not playing more? Beasley is only AVERAGING approx. 17 minutes A GAME!!! And Cook....HALF that!!! I just don't get what the hell Spolestra is doing.....

Back to the Orlando vs. Boston Game....

In a game that lived up to the hype, the Magic knocked off the Celtics 84-82 on Wednesday night.

With home-court advantage at stake for a potential second-round playoff series, the Celtics made health the priority.

Boston coach Doc Rivers again resisted the urge to play Garnett for a full game, limiting him to eight-minute spurts in the first and third quarters. Garnett finished with four points and eight rebounds in his fourth game back from injury, and Rivershas said he will continue to ease the All-Star forward back in the lineup.

"Our guys don't care about (home court). They want to get healthy,'' Rivers said. "And when we get healthy, we're willing to lace up against anybody.''
Magic coach Stan Van Gundy doesn't buy that as an excuse.

"I want to know how some teams get on the list, where they get excuses and other teams are not on that list. All I've been hearing about is all the injury problems the Celtics have had this year,'' Van Gundy said.
Van Gundy went on to say how the Magic have dealt with the loss of All-Star point guard Jameer Nelson, who has missed 24 games since a season-ending shoulder tear Feb. 2. The Magic have recovered after a three-team trade brought point guard Rafer Alston from Houston, and Howard has continued to make up the point difference lost in Nelson's absence.

.........Personally, I think the Doc Rivers quote was a very arrogant statement. I realize they are the defending Champs, but come on! To say you don't care about home court and basically say it doesn't matter!? If/when the Magic and Celts face each other in the Eastern Conference Semi's, I'm sure the Magic will remember this cocky attitude their coach has seemed to adopt.

"Our guys don't care about (home court). They want to get healthy,'' Rivers said. "And when we get healthy, we're willing to lace up against anybody.''

.........Personally, I think the Doc Rivers quote was a very arrogant statement. I realize they are the defending Champs, but come on! To say you don't care about home court and basically say it doesn't matter!? If/when the Magic and Celts face each other in the Eastern Conference Semi's, I'm sure the Magic will remember this cocky attitude their coach has seemed to adopt.

Geez...imagine that! A coach that is thinking of keeping his team fresh and healthy for the playoffs....:rolleyes: Like I said, when you have a team THAT good, home court is nice, but can win ANYWHERE....:cool:

Geez...imagine that! A coach that is thinking of keeping his team fresh and healthy for the playoffs....:rolleyes: Like I said, when you have a team THAT good, home court is nice, but can win ANYWHERE....:cool:

That's fine. I just hope Doc won't be eating his words when he'll have to beat Orlando on the road this year to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals...

They have been extremely flat in these two VERY WINABLE road games. That's what happens with a young team and a young coach. THIS kind of effort 2 games in a row would NEVER, EVER happen under a Reilly coached team! WHY is Beasley not playing more? WHY is Daquan not playing more? Beasley is only AVERAGING approx. 17 minutes A GAME!!! And Cook....HALF that!!! I just don't get what the hell Spolestra is doing.....

YES! thank you! that's how I see it too. to be honest i have no confidence in spolestra. didn't have it when the position was handed to him,don't have it now either!

"I want to know how some teams get on the list, where they get excuses and other teams are not on that list. All I've been hearing about is all the injury problems the Celtics have had this year,'' Van Gundy said.

van gundy needs to keep his trap shut. i'm beginning to think he has some type of inferiority complex. you won the game! and a very important game for your team. move on and focus on the next opponent! who cares what DOC says. wining is all that matters at the end.

That's fine. I just hope Doc won't be eating his words when he'll have to beat Orlando on the road this year to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals...

You don't seem to get it....tell me, let's say this year, the Cavs and the Heat are in a 2nd round series and it's all nodded up at 3 games a piece...I am sure YOU are confident enough to state your team will be moving to the next round...correct?!
Are you THAT LESS CONFIDENT is you are playing in Miami?! I HIGHLY doubt it. And the same would apply IF you were playing a stronger team like the Magic or the Celtics....

....IF the team is good, it can win ANYWHERE....I am sure the PLAYERS FEEL THIS WAY too. Yeah, it's the right thing to say when stating they wanna win ALL their games to get a better chance at home court....but Doc's statement comes from being A PLAYER and from talking to his team....

You don't seem to get it....tell me, let's say this year, the Cavs and the Heat are in a 2nd round series and it's all nodded up at 3 games a piece...I am sure YOU are confident enough to state your team will be moving to the next round...correct?!
Are you THAT LESS CONFIDENT is you are playing in Miami?! I HIGHLY doubt it. And the same would apply IF you were playing a stronger team like the Magic or the Celtics....

....IF the team is good, it can win ANYWHERE....I am sure the PLAYERS FEEL THIS WAY too. Yeah, it's the right thing to say when stating they wanna win ALL their games to get a better chance at home court....but Doc's statement comes from being A PLAYER and from talking to his team....

While I would still expect my Cavs team to win that Game 7, I would still have to say that YES, I would be "less confident" of my teams chances on the road than if we were at home. Having the advantage to play in front of your own crowd, in your own building and sleeping in your own bed before the biggest game in the series WOULD INDEED be a HUGE advantage for any team so lucky to get it.

I'm not saying winning a Game 7 on the road can't be done, but it sure would be an advantage to the team who has home court. Duh!

While I would still expect my Cavs team to win that Game 7, I would still have to say that YES, I would be "less confident" of my teams chances on the road than if we were at home. Having the advantage to play in front of your own crowd, in your own building and sleeping in your own bed before the biggest game in the series WOULD INDEED be a HUGE advantage for any team so lucky to get it.

I'm not saying winning a Game 7 on the road can't be done, but it sure would be an advantage to the team who has home court. Duh!

This has nothing to do with advantage and more to do with HOW GOOD a team is. A championship team CAN and DOES win on the road.....REGARDLESS of bed they sleep in. I'll repeat....it REALLY NICE to have, but championship teams do NOT need it....and Doc's statement said it all. So it was not arrogant at all, just looking down the road....planning for the future.

In a game that lived up to the hype, the Magic knocked off the Celtics 84-82 on Wednesday night.

With home-court advantage at stake for a potential second-round playoff series, the Celtics made health the priority.

Boston coach Doc Rivers again resisted the urge to play Garnett for a full game, limiting him to eight-minute spurts in the first and third quarters. Garnett finished with four points and eight rebounds in his fourth game back from injury, and Rivershas said he will continue to ease the All-Star forward back in the lineup.

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy doesn't buy that as an excuse.

Did I miss something? Who's making excuses? :confused:

Rivers was defending his decision to keep Garnett under wraps until the playoffs start. Rivers was on WEEI Wednesday morning, and he was on record saying that he was going to limit KG's minutes. Doc said of course he would love to have home court, but he wasn't going to push KG towards that end.

What's wrong with that?

He's still recovering from his injury.

IMO, if anything, Van Gundy supplied the Celtics with chalkboard fodder. This Celtics team just doesn't make excuses.

I think Stan should maybe worry about his own team! :mad:

I think you awoke a sleeping giant there big fella!

This Stan vs. Doc exchange will certainly provide bulletin board material for both teams. As a fan, I can't wait to see that series in the playoffs. :)

Again, please explain to me what Doc did wrong?

Protecting his injured star player? How dare he!

I hear Doc on the radio every Wednesday, and he does nothing but respect his opponents..........whether it's the Lakers or Clippers.

Stan Van Gundy, OTOH, is a blowhard! :rolleyes:

Again, please explain to me what Doc did wrong?

Protecting his injured star player? How dare he!

I hear Doc on the radio every Wednesday, and he does nothing but respect his opponents..........whether it's the Lakers or Clippers.

Stan Van Gundy, OTOH, is a blowhard! :rolleyes:

I can understand why Doc is limiting KG's minutes.

But to say you don't care about home court is another thing. I tend to believe if the outcome was different he wouldn't have said that.

Did I miss something? Who's making excuses? :confused:

Rivers was defending his decision to keep Garnett under wraps until the playoffs start. Rivers was on WEEI Wednesday morning, and he was on record saying that he was going to limit KG's minutes. Doc said of course he would love to have home court, but he wasn't going to push KG towards that end.

What's wrong with that?

He's still recovering from his injury.

IMO, if anything, Van Gundy supplied the Celtics with chalkboard fodder. This Celtics team just doesn't make excuses.

I think Stan should maybe worry about his own team! :mad:

I think you awoke a sleeping giant there big fella!

No Bill....Van Gundy spoke yesterday about this whole flap and he was misquoted. The thing was, it seems that some local(Orlando) beat reporter kept asking/telling him that it seems that every time the Magic beats a playoff contention team they are missing a key player. Supposedly the reporter said with an attitude of 'the wins were either cheap or not legit'. He mentioned he has been missing his starting point guard(Jamir Nelson) for quite awhile. Does that mean OTHER teams victories against HIS team not legit? The ESPNs of the world sort of 'forgot' that part......:rolleyes: Van Gundy speaks once a week on 790 The Ticket.

The Flagship Station for South Florida Sports

The link has the podcast and you can hear it for yourself.

I can understand why Doc is limiting KG's minutes.

But to say you don't care about home court is another thing. I tend to believe if the outcome was different he wouldn't have said that.

Believe me when I tell you that was taken out of context.

Doc has been on record MANY times as saying he would LOVE HCA, BUT not at the expense of having a healthy team come playoff time.

IMO, the NBA is the most important sport to have HCA/HFA/HIA.

That being said, if the Celtics by some miracle got HCA, but their injured players got worse because of it, ANY playoff team could come into the Garden and beat them.

THAT'S why I agree with Doc.

HFA is VERY important yes, but not at the expense of the team's overall health.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)