NCAA Football 2009-10 PreSeason

Nope, The SEC teams play their final games on 11/28 (Thanksgiving Weekend, as has been traditionally done for a long time).
The SEC Championship Game is 12/05 (First Saturday after Thanksgiving Weekend, again as per tradition, a shorter tradition, but still tradition).

Look up the schedules if you don't believe me.

The Big 12 I'm not as familiar with, but a quick glance of Texas's schedule shows the same thing as the SEC.

I think the only games after the SEC championship are played by Army/Navy and the Grambling/Southern games. I think anyway.

Does LSU have a QB this year ?

If not, these are not big games, yet.
Jimbeaux, you've just repeated the $64,000 question being asked in Baton Rouge. :D

Jordan Jefferson started the last two games last year and looked good - against Arkansas and Georgia Tech anyways. There's a highly touted freshman shooting for a spot also. I hope Jarret Lee has gained more experience (and talent) if he winds up starting again.

But the answer to your question...we'll have to wait and see. If they do, I predict 9-3, maybe even 10-2. If they don't, 8-4 or worse.

Last edited:
At best, I see LSU in the Capital One.

IF the QB plays very well, maybe- just maybe- they could get a BCS at-large.

(You think Jamarcus Russell wishes he had stayed his senior year?)

At best, I see LSU in the Capital One.

IF the QB plays very well, maybe- just maybe- they could get a BCS at-large.
I agree Sabres. :up

(You think Jamarcus Russell wishes he had stayed his senior year?)
Who knows what goes through that guy's head. To be honest, had he stayed his senior year, LSU may not have done as well as they did. JR is not the smartest person - purely relies on his talent - makes boneheaded mistakes at the most crucial times. I'm happy with what Flynn (and Perriloux before he imploded) did in 2007. :)

BTW, just want to get this in:

I am no longer going to defend the Big East anymore.

Last season convinced me what Sam and David were saying all along.

Been away for a while. Glad to see you come over Sabres.

There are plenty of good conferences in the BCS but the Big Least is nowhere close.

The talent in the conference is no better than 5-6 other non BCS conferences.

Last edited:
Nope, The SEC teams play their final games on 11/28 (Thanksgiving Weekend, as has been traditionally done for a long time).
The SEC Championship Game is 12/05 (First Saturday after Thanksgiving Weekend, again as per tradition, a shorter tradition, but still tradition).

Look up the schedules if you don't believe me.

The Big 12 I'm not as familiar with, but a quick glance of Texas's schedule shows the same thing as the SEC.

I believe you ....
Just always seems like they play alot longer than everyone else (SEC, Big 12 and Pac 10)

I believe you ....
Just always seems like they play alot longer than everyone else (SEC, Big 12 and Pac 10)
Out of all the Conferences, I think only the Big 10 chooses to end prior to Thanksgiving weekend. The other all save the big rivalry games for Turkey Saturday.
A quick look at the MWC, Pac 10, ACC, SEC, and Big 12 show them all ending on Thanksgiving weekend.
The Big East on the other hand is playing the next weekend.

Out of all the Conferences, I think only the Big 10 chooses to end prior to Thanksgiving weekend. The other all save the big rivalry games for Turkey Saturday.
A quick look at the MWC, Pac 10, ACC, SEC, and Big 12 show them all ending on Thanksgiving weekend.
The Big East on the other hand is playing the next weekend.

Don't they all start the same weekend ?

Simple Solution to Fix the College Post Season

The BCS has done a decent job, it could be improved though. The #1 goal should be to identify the top two college teams for a national championship game. Through polls, that's usually determined, debatabley.

There will always be question marks with the lower conference teams that can never have a shot, despite how impressive their regular season performance was. This is a shame. And it always seems like there are at least 3 teams who could be debatably playing in the national championship game. Since the two teams playing for the MNC are determined by polls and not on the field, the debates will rage on and rightly so.

Bottom line: Like it or not, the current BCS system has created a system that devalues all bowls except the one for the national championship.

I have a simple solution to all of this. And it wouldn't take much at all. All I want is 1 more game, aka the "plus-one" format. Is that so much to ask? With that simple tweak, most issues could be resolved.....

The "plus-one" system would match the two top-ranked teams after all the bowls in a title game.

The mid-majors get their chances in the four big bowl games, the Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and Rose. Four WAC and Mountain West teams have made those games in the last five years. But the regular-season ranking system keeps such teams from having a realistic chance to play in the title game. A non-BCS conference team, however, can only play its schedule. There must be a provision for a great year by such a team.

This system also prevents the letdown of a team like Alabama, which did not want to be in the Sugar Bowl after Florida knocked the Tide out of the national championship hunt in the SEC championship game. Under my proposal, everyone in the top four bowls would be eligible for the title shot. This would ensure that everyone in the Bowl games plays up to their potential since they are all still in the running for a shot at the title.

It doesn't give every little guy his shot, as does the NCAA basketball tournament. But I do think just 1 additional game will do wonders to improve the current system and will also keep the allure of college football's regular season.

WHO'S WITH ME?!

The BCS has done a decent job, it could be improved though. The #1 goal should be to identify the top two college teams for a national championship game. Through polls, that's usually determined, debatabley.

There will always be question marks with the lower conference teams that can never have a shot, despite how impressive their regular season performance was. This is a shame. And it always seems like there are at least 3 teams who could be debatably playing in the national championship game. Since the two teams playing for the MNC are determined by polls and not on the field, the debates will rage on and rightly so.

Bottom line: Like it or not, the current BCS system has created a system that devalues all bowls except the one for the national championship.

I have a simple solution to all of this. And it wouldn't take much at all. All I want is 1 more game, aka the "plus-one" format. Is that so much to ask? With that simple tweak, most issues could be resolved.....

The "plus-one" system would match the two top-ranked teams after all the bowls in a title game.

The mid-majors get their chances in the four big bowl games, the Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and Rose. Four WAC and Mountain West teams have made those games in the last five years. But the regular-season ranking system keeps such teams from having a realistic chance to play in the title game. A non-BCS conference team, however, can only play its schedule. There must be a provision for a great year by such a team.

This system also prevents the letdown of a team like Alabama, which did not want to be in the Sugar Bowl after Florida knocked the Tide out of the national championship hunt in the SEC championship game. Under my proposal, everyone in the top four bowls would be eligible for the title shot. This would ensure that everyone in the Bowl games plays up to their potential since they are all still in the running for a shot at the title.

It doesn't give every little guy his shot, as does the NCAA basketball tournament. But I do think just 1 additional game will do wonders to improve the current system and will also keep the allure of college football's regular season.

WHO'S WITH ME?!

Mountain West and the WAC have decided to merge conferences. I wonder if that means an end to the Mountain West's fight with the BCS? I guess money talks, and this may have been their only way in to the big money games.

BTW, I still want at least an 8 team playoff, I would prefer 16 teams.

WHO'S WITH ME?!

I'm NOT .....

A "Plus One " is useless.

Say a number 1 team dominates a Number 2, why should they have to play a number 3 team to prove they are number 1 ?????

As form the Mid Major's, if they had played a schedule like the other major conferences, they probably would not be where they were ranked in the end.

Columnist Suggest's Rich-Rod's On the Chopping Block This Year at UofM

Although most coaches get at least three years to prove themselves, I'm convinced Rodriguez is only going to get two.

First, it's pretty obvious to me this is going to be Rich Rodriguez's last season as the head football coach at the University of Michigan.

He's not going to win. He's going to end the season with another lopsided loss to Ohio State, this time in the Big House, where there is no sin like losing to the hated Buckeyes.

Rodriguez's short tenure at Michigan has been a disaster.

The players don't seem to like his style. The alumni hasn't warmed up to him. The administrators who hired him -and who could fire him -were unhappy they were going to have to be deposed in his legal dispute with West Virginia University.

That means he once again will be looking for another coaching job (then again, he always seems to be looking for another coaching job, even when he has a good one.)
Chew on this one for awhile - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel

I'm NOT .....

A "Plus One " is useless.

Say a number 1 team dominates a Number 2, why should they have to play a number 3 team to prove they are number 1 ?????

As form the Mid Major's, if they had played a schedule like the other major conferences, they probably would not be where they were ranked in the end.
Except that some of the "majors", don't exactly play a tough schedule *cough*BigEast*cough*.

But yes, a +1 is useless. What is needed is a 16 team playoff (like every other football division in the NCAA), that would have all the 1A conference champions, along with 5 at larges picked and seeded by a selection committee as is done with Basketball.

My thoughts. I go to Vegas every August and bet on two teams to win the MNC. I've done this since 2003 and won in 2003, 2007, and 2008 (I've always picked the SEC school with their tough games at home). My worst pick was in 2006. I picked Georgia, who won the SEC, and Miami, who had a *terrible* season and fired Larry Coker at the end of it. I have a ten month old son, so no Vegas this summer. I am hoping that a buddy of mine will make the trip and place bets for me.

Obviously Florida is the easy pick. They return all 11 defensive starters and 7 offensive starters. In Vegas, I wouldn't be able to get decent odds for them, so I wouldn't pick them. I just wanted to point out that they are the obvious pick.

Other than Florida, I don't see an obvious pick out of the SEC. I think that Mark Richt at Georgia is one of the best coaches in the country. I don't think that he gets enough credit for the job that he's done there (and at FSU before that), but they don't have a proven quarterback.

Ole Miss is another team to look out for (I can't believe that I just typed that!). Houston Nutt is also a great coach. I think that Arkansas made a big mistake running him off. I'm not ready to pick them based on one year of success though.

I think that LSU's best days are behind them. I like LSU. My mom went to school there, and they have won two championships "for me." However, Les Miles is a mediocre coach. If it's possible for a team to win a MNC despite their head coach, LSU did it in 2007. I didn't know what they were thinking when they hired him, and I still don't. The amount of talent that Saban left there was just absurd. I looked at them last year and saw a great offensive line and not much else. I *think* that four of those linemen were Saban recruits. I would start Jordan Jefferson at QB. I was going to say Andrew Hatch, but I just realized that he's gone.

Bama is very much a work in progress. I think that they overachieved last year. Utah showed that. I have never seen an SEC school whipped on both sides of the line of scrimmage like Utah did to them in the Sugar Bowl. Saban is an incredible recruiter, and I look for them to contend a few years down the line. Right now, I am not sure that they have the talent.

USC is always a contender. It's incredible how many first round NFL picks Pete Carroll produces every season. I don't know who their starting QB is going to be, but I don't have any doubts that he will produce. Their only two really though games are at Ohio State and at Cal. Other than that, they have a pretty clear path to the title game. USC's problem is that they always seem to take off a game (or two!) every season. I am going to pick them as one of my two teams though.

My other pick is Texas. I am going to keep it brief because I went to (and work for) A&M, and I detest the horns. They have more talent returning that OU or Tech, and they have a massive chip on their shoulder for getting "snubbed" for the BCS title game. Other than the OU game and OSU (only because it's in Stillwater), I don't see them losing a game. If they can take care of those two games, they win the South, and no one in the North is going to challenge them. They are my other MNC pick. I would have to remove my Aggie ring before I could place the bet though.

Last edited:
...I think that LSU's best days are behind them. I like LSU. My mom went to school there, and they have won two championships "for me." However, Les Miles is a mediocre coach. If it's possible for a team to win a MNC despite their head coach, LSU did it in 2007. I didn't know what they were thinking when they hired him, and I still don't. The amount of talent that Saban left there was just absurd. I looked at them last year and saw a great offensive line and not much else. I *think* that four of those linemen were Saban recruits. I would start Jordan Jefferson at QB. I was going to say Andrew Hatch, but I just realized that he's gone...

Hatch was 50/50 on his best days. He would've played very little (if at all) had he stayed.

Losing Bo Pelini is what led to LSU's bad year last year. Defense was non-existent at times. If you go back and look at each game, despite Jarrett Lee's propensity to throw pick-sixes, the offense did what they needed to in each game to give the Tigers a chance at a win. I agree however that Jefferson should've started sooner than he did, and should be the starter this year.

Don't be fooled, LSU still has good days ahead. They're just going through a slump right now. Let's hope it's not an A&M type slump - I'm 51 and would like to see another LSU football championship in my lifetime. ;) :)

So how do you see LSU's season going down? I think that they lose to Florida, Georgia, and Bama. There's no shame in any of those, although losing to Saban again would hurt. The game that I think will be interesting is Ole Miss. LSU should win that game based on talent. I suspect that Ole Miss wins it though. They put the wood to LSU at Tiger Stadium last year. A 3-9 team from 2007 went to what might be the toughest environment in college football and beat the defending national champions by something like 20 points.

I am not trying to rub it in. I just really don't think very much of Les Miles as a coach.

One of my co-workers is an OK State alum and a huge college football fan. He was so happy when Miles was hired away by you guys that he went to Vegas the next week and put down $200 on OSU to win the MNC. I have never understood that hire. One year removed from a national championship, LSU could have hired just about anyone.

BTW, I don't know if you've heard this, but Will Muschamp was hired by Texas to be their defensive coordinator and has been named successor whenever Mack Brown leaves. That guy is a defensive genius. I don't know if I've ever seen as good of a defense as the 2003 LSU defense. I was dying for A&M to hire him as head coach when we fired Fran.

So how do you see LSU's season going down? I think that they lose to Florida, Georgia, and Bama. There's no shame in any of those, although losing to Saban again would hurt. The game that I think will be interesting is Ole Miss. LSU should win that game based on talent. I suspect that Ole Miss wins it though. They put the wood to LSU at Tiger Stadium last year. A 3-9 team from 2007 went to what might be the toughest environment in college football and beat the defending national champions by something like 20 points.
I think Ole Miss will probably beat LSU in Oxford this year, but you just never can tell about the Rebels - or Nutt for that matter. If Ole Miss takes up where they left off in the Cotton Bowl, they might be a contender for the West.

If a QB shows up for LSU this year and the defense puts it together some, I say LSU goes 9-3 at best, but probably will go 8-4. If they play like last year though, it will be another big losing season and Les might be on the hot seat.

I am not trying to rub it in. I just really don't think very much of Les Miles as a coach.
I know - I was just yanking your chain with the A&M slump remark (although it has been a long one). There are a lot of people who don't like Les Miles, expecially Big 12 fans. I'm happy with what he's done so far. This year will tell the tale though. If he doesn't have a decent season (i.e. 9-3 or better), people will start complaining in Baton Rouge - they always do. :)

One of my co-workers is an OK State alum and a huge college football fan. He was so happy when Miles was hired away by you guys that he went to Vegas the next week and put down $200 on OSU to win the MNC. I have never understood that hire. One year removed from a national championship, LSU could have hired just about anyone.
OSU fans - what can you say? ;) Bet your co-worker was pissed when LSU won the NC with Miles in charge. I'm sure most OSU fans like Miles about as much as most LSU fans like Saban now. Like I said, what Miles does this year will justify opinions about him, good or bad.

BTW, I don't know if you've heard this, but Will Muschamp was hired by Texas to be their defensive coordinator and has been named successor whenever Mack Brown leaves. That guy is a defensive genius. I don't know if I've ever seen as good of a defense as the 2003 LSU defense. I was dying for A&M to hire him as head coach when we fired Fran.
Will Muschamp leaving was a huge loss for LSU. I'd love for him to come back to Baton Rouge one day.

[rant]

I was in school for five football seasons (1990-1995). We didn't lose a home game in any of those seasons. It's surreal what's happened to our program since then.

The "facilities race" is just nuts. We've been spending money like crazy, and it still doesn't seem to help in recruiting. Somehow TX Tech and TCU now have better programs than us, and their stadiums are dumps.

We are supposedly broke. Texas deregulated tuition in 2003 and cut funding to its state schools. Tuition has more than tripled since then. We've had our funding cut again, and we're actually laying people off. That *never* happens at a university.

Every year individual departments nominate staff members who have done great service over the last year. The colleges pick a set number of winners and awards each of them a $1,000 "meritorious service award." They did away with the program this year because it would look bad to be "wasting money" during these tough times. They did this after the winners were notified. I am one of them. I will actually get the check at the beginning of FY2010 (September), but it still pissed me off.

Where this is going is that the Athletic Department has justified its crazy spending by the fact that it is self-sustaining. However, it was revealed a couple of months ago that they took a $16 million "loan" from the university several years ago, which they have not paid one cent on. A&M can't afford to give staff members $1,000 but can afford to give the Athletic Department $16 million?!? The department has since announced that they are laying off 17 people so they can start paying back on the loan. One of them is a friend of mine whose wife is fighting cancer. She's in the middle of chemo treatments, and he is having to worry about finding another job on campus so that he doesn't lose his health insurance.

I guess what I am getting at is that I don't really give a rat's ass about our football program these days. I haven't been to a game since 1996. I spend my Saturdays on the sofa watching whatever game DirecTV with Sportspack and GamePlan have to offer my beautiful 52" Sony Bravia. If A&M is on, then I'll watch, but I don't even read about them in the paper any more.

[/rant]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)