Need some Techy Help

DetFan

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
I just bought a new Video card. I am no dummy when it comes to this stuff and I cannot figure it out..I must confess, I have always used AGP, this is my first PC Express card. That being said I got it hooked up, installed, proper drivers, etc.etc. All I see is a big 800x640 screen all jacked up in different colors..I figured bad driver..Nope replaced it, and still the same. Now this is a DVI card, dual as a matter of fact..I have the DVI to VGA adapter..The only thing I have not tried is the DVI to vga adapter on the monitor..I cannot do that until tomorrow this monitor doesnt support DVI, just VGA..Is that the problem? If I am using DVI to vga out of the card does it have to be the same on the monitor?

Any other ideas? Thanks

BTW Geforce 9500 GT

Did you go to nvidia's web site and get the driver?

I would go into control panel-system-hardware manager delete the card and reboot, it should then find the card and reinstall the driver. Then you should be able to adjust the video settings.

Thanks for the response..Yes, I did go to their web site.I also did the whole uninstall thing too..It does everything it should do but the picture is still messed up.
I think I will just wait for my new monitor to get here today and try it that way..It supports DVI..If that does not work I guess the card goes back..This ATI that came with the computer works fine..Just dont think its very powerful

Is the ATI video built-in to the mb or is it a separate card? If built-in, you may have to go into the BIOS and disable it and turn on the PCI-E slot.

Voyager6 said:
Is the ATI video built-in to the mb or is it a separate card? If built-in, you may have to go into the BIOS and disable it and turn on the PCI-E slot.

Its also a pci e card not part of the board the only difference connection wise is it isn't a dvi card.

1.jpg

This is waht i see with it.

Only thing I can think of is that the wrong driver is installed. There are a lot of variations of cards, and some of the nvidia downloaded drivers cover some but not all of a similar model number, maybe clicked on wrong one in the drop down list and got the wrong one?

Is it just detecting the monitor's resolution wrong, or does the display look like that even if you set a sensible resolution and depth in the control panel?

Your mileage may vary but I prefer AMD cards. I have never had luck with Nvidia. Look at Radeons They are pretty reasonable. I have two computers using them and they work great. One is a 4650 and the other a 4550 in the HTPC

If you have always used AGP cards in the past, it's highly likely that your MB isn't set to use PCI-E as the default display adapter.

What kind of MB do you have? Most MBs these days have an option in the BIOS that allows you to set which graphics adapter to use as the default.

Might squirrel around in the BIOS a bit before resigning to the idea that it's a bad card.

The card was bad. I know this because I bought another one. Not the exact model but another nvidia card. It works fine I've sent the other one back to tiger direct. I am and always have been an nvidia guy so ati was out of the question. As for the motherboard it's a new system I put together. All is good now

Glad to hear it! I've been an nVidia guy since the early days. (Back when Voodoo cards were still around). 32 MB of graphical FURY.

Your screenshot shows a 16-color (4-bit) screen. Since you've already replaced the card, it's a moot point trying to troubleshoot now, but what you saw usually indicates the wrong driver for the card. Even Windows couldn't find a SVGA mode that worked.

Maybe you could put that nVIDIA card to work Folding proteins...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts