Netflix to Begin Cracking Down on Password Sharing

The ones in that Price Range do not even come close in comparison to how much content Netflix has.

Specially in 4K/HDR/DV.

It would take me a year to watch everything I wish to watch on Netflix, that does not include all the new stuff it keeps adding.
Then I guess your OK with paying $20-$30 per month like a typical Cable Sat provider use to charge .... It will continue to go up, lets hope they don't start raising prices more than once a year.

Then I guess your OK with paying $20-$30 per month like a typical Cable Sat provider use to charge ....
Cable/Sat has not been $20-30 since DirecTV /Dish started.
It will continue to go up, lets hope they don't start raising prices more than once a year.

Why is the argument against streaming always the price increase, of course prices will go up, why is that a argument against Netflix and not Traditional Providers , did not DirecTV just have a $8-10 average increase, Dish has had 3 in 2 years, both Charter/Comcast had a increase and raised fees like locals and RSNs.

You got to look at it like Netflix is cheating us all out more money than any company would ever need so some people cheat to save some of that money. No harm no foul. We're all going to die one day and we can't take any money with us so what does it even matter to have more money than god? money grubbers are going to H-E double L if you really want to know the true.
Christian rationalization?

Cable/Sat has not been $20-30 since DirecTV /Dish started.

Why is the argument against streaming always the price increase, of course prices will go up, why is that a argument against Netflix and not Traditional Providers , did not DirecTV just have a $8-10 average increase, Dish has had 3 in 2 years, both Charter/Comcast had a increase and raised fees like locals and RSNs.
Dish and Directv are Sat Providers, allowing many many channels ...
Netflix is just Netflix

Btw, Netflix went up about 25% from $14.95 to $19.95 ...
Thats a lot more than a Provider ...

Dish and Directv are Sat Providers, allowing many many channels
Where the majority of content is reruns on all those channels.

I have already shown many times where I can get the majority of content shown on Traditional Providers, all the streaming exclusive stuff plus MLB, NHL, HBO, Showtime, Netflix, NFL and the price is roughly $80 a month for the streaming services._
Netflix is just Netflix

It is only $5 more then HBO, but with tons more content, no one has as much new content as they do in 4K/HDR/DV/DD+/Atmos.

Netflix is just Netflix
True, however Netflix offers a variety of content that matches in variety and surpasses often in quality, what the many many channels offer, on one app alone.

Sports aside of course.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
We finally agree on something. HBO Max has nothing on Netflix. Maybe Westworld.
HBO will soon be a lot worse when they combine HBO MAX with Discovery+ in a few months.

Soon HBO type programming will be the exception and Discovery+ programming will be the majority since it is cheap to produce ( and already paid for by airing on Traditional Channels first).

Warner/Discovery has lost another $6 Billion since the merger, hence why they have been canceling so much programing and selling off what they can .

Newest rumor is they are trying to sell DC Comics and Properties to Marvel/Disney.

Since they cannot seem to make it work ( for example, Black Adam lost $200 Million) and they do not have the money right now ( $50 Billion in debt) to produce new stuff, all the remaining DC Films were made before the merger, just not released yet.

From here about their money issues-

Warner Bros. Discovery's balance sheet is downright frightening. The company has a total debt of $50.4 billion, with just $2.5 billion of cash on hand. Interest payments in the third quarter alone totaled $555 million. This would be less of a problem if the company was churning out cash, but it's not. Elevated costs and a tough advertising environment led to a free cash flow loss in the third quarter.

• Wow
Reactions: MikeD-C05
Where the majority of content is reruns on all those channels.

I have already shown many times where I can get the majority of content shown on Traditional Providers, all the streaming exclusive stuff plus MLB, NHL, HBO, Showtime, Netflix, NFL and the price is roughly $80 a month for the streaming services._

It is only $5 more then HBO, but with tons more content, no one has as much new content as they do in 4K/HDR/DV/DD+/Atmos.
GOOD FOR YOU ...
Not everyone is in your shoes where you can get everything you need.
Personally, I don't want to have to bounce around 5 different streaming services to get what I currently get on Sat.

At that point, I have to find out who carries the show I want to watch, vs just turning to the channel and watch.

There are several generations that don't want to, I'm glad you have every thing figured out, most of us would rather just turn on the channel we would normally turn on and watch our shows.

FWIW, there a lot of Reruns, but you don't HAVE to watch them .... there are options for most everything.
Usually if I find nothing but re runs on and I don't want to watch any of them, I then turn on a Streaming service.

I generally watch the shows I like, NEW ones get Recorded and watch when I get a chance ....
I also watch a lot of Sports, so seeing zI do watch sports, I don't watch as many re run because I am watching something LIVE.

I much prefer LIVE stuff vs reruns.
I don't watch any of the Stupid Reality shows, or the Dancing shows (more reality) or the Singing shows, more reality.
Theres Nothing REAL about them.

I recently broke down and got YTTV again to keep my wife happy after my Tablo suffered a USB port failure. Aside from sports, I was reminded how little new/interesting content there is on linear TV anymore. It is like a wasteland compared to what it used to be and certainly compared to the streaming services where I watch most things.

Netflix is just Netflix

I'm tired of seeing this all the time. When you charge a lower price to begin with, a $5 hike will be a larger percentage than a $5 hike would be from a cableco or sat provider.

I'm tired of seeing this all the time. When you charge a lower price to begin with, a $5 hike will be a larger percentage than a $5 hike would be from a cableco or sat provider.
I know, the common argument against streaming is the price increases, but at the same time they ignore the price increases for Traditional Providers.

At the same time, we are getting more and more content with Streaming ( along with the majority of content from Broadcast/Cable Channels) with those increases, yet Traditional Services like DirecTV, Comcast, etc are getting less and less content with their increases.

This is what I have now, yearly price, no commercial’s plans, the majority ( in bold) I pay for with Gift Cards I get with my Credit Card Points
Paramount+ with Showtime-$129 (all Viacom/CBS Programing)
Peacock-$50( all Universal/NBC)
Hulu with Disney+ and ESPN+-$240(all ABC/Fox/Nat Geo/Disney)
HBO-$149
Netflix-$240

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby and ncted
No clue how they can do this really but i can say that i use Sling for about 3 months out of the year for ESPN (lowest cost option) to watch College Football. It is limited to 1 stream, and believe me they certainly have the technology to control it. I have tried multiple times to get 2 TVs going. I like to have it on in my living room, and my garage where i store my beer. I even tried one stream, on Sling, 2nd stream using ESPN app, and it knows and shots that down right away.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I know, the common argument against streaming is the price increases, but at the same time they ignore the price increases for Traditional Providers.

At the same time, we are getting more and more content with Streaming ( along with the majority of content from Broadcast/Cable Channels) with those increases, yet Traditional Services like DirecTV, Comcast, etc are getting less and less content with their increases.

This is what I have now, yearly price, no commercial’s plans, the majority ( in bold) I pay for with Gift Cards I get with my Credit Card Points
YTTV-$65 a month

HBO-$149
Netflix-$240
MLB-$59 ( single team deal in May).
Apple TV-$44 ( Gift card price for yearly)

So $144 a month total for all that, which is about the price of a DirecTV monthly bill, but in cash, only $258 for the year, which is $21.50 a month.
And don't forget the unadvertised price increases. Broadcast, RSN and equipment fees. That could easily add another $50 with most providers. I paid roughly $156 for internet/tv when I cut the cord five years ago. I currently pay under $117 for internet and streaming. That includes Philo and Amazon Prime (which is a lot more than streaming video).

This and it's a supplemental service. Nobody who watches any amount of live TV is shutting down a traditional provider and replacing it with Netflix. Apples and oranges.

For the balance of the thread... change is hard, and times are changing. You can figure it out or you can complain, or you can wait until the services you have an iron grip on aren't the service you wished it was anymore and change is required not on your own terms. Choice is yours.

And don't forget the unadvertised price increases. Broadcast, RSN and equipment fees. That could easily add another $50 with most providers. I paid roughly $156 for internet/tv when I cut the cord five years ago. I currently pay under $117 for internet and streaming. That includes Philo and Amazon Prime (which is a lot more than streaming video).

I recently got $50 off/mo for my mom's DirecTV account that it sounds like she's finally starting to be OK with dropping soon. IIRC that was the total amount of her fees + $3. Complaining about $5 here or there on another service is comical by comparison.

As I recall, a very few years ago we were discussing how Netflix and HBO would become very different from what we then knew them to be. Seems to be coming true.

And so we may see OTT / streaming services morph and consolidate and increase prices as we discuss today.

What cable service is $79?

Then you add on the Broadcast Channel Fee, roughly $22, then the RSN fees, roughly $14, then Box/DVR fees, roughly $15 for the first, $7 for each after.

Here is mine, all yearly, all commercial free
HBO-$149
Netflix-$240
OTA-Free
ABC/CBS/NBC News apps-free
Pluto/Tubi/etc-free

So a yearly total of $808, divide by 12=$67.33 a month.

I do have Prime, but I have it for the shipping, hence why I do not include it.