New Channels Added: - Discoveries & Fox Movie

DucTape said:
Yeah, our tax dollars hard at work...

It would be nice to offer Ala Carte/ package offers but it seems the legislators are siding with the crap channel producers who are still vying for that one second viewing as we surf past their channels, position.

I wouldn't place all the blame on our legislators they have benn looking intro this for awhile and given the current industry dynamic there is not a clear answer.
I've read (this is the cable companies line, but independant Networks like Oxygen, CSPAN etc have issues with it too) that that A' la carte pricing would not really save your average customer any money and could actually raise prices in the long run. if you subscribe to WSJ online they have an article
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB105210102558990500,00.html?mod=INDUSTRY

An interesting but old (but free) article in Wired http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,64399,00.html

the article is relatively balanced for wired articel and covers the back and forth pretty well.

Hi-Vac said:
I agree with you Rolllzroyce.

I think $40 bucks more per month is completely worth it.
However, I have a problem with all the people here "whining" about voom going away, only to find out they only have the basic package. I think if Dolan is willing to put up 10 million, I have no problem in "matching" his donation with my $40 bucks. If it makes it, and I hope it does, Then this was money well spent, If it doesn't, then what are you out? 40 bucks?

Exactly! People complain that they want all the HD they can get yet they are not taking advantage of what they can. You people are trying to tell me you can't afford an extra $40 a month when you own a 65" HDTV? Please :rolleyes:

Kinda like saying you can't afford Premium Unleaded for your Porsche ;)

Adding SD channels is good idea but adding them to their most expensive package is just plain dumb. This does nothing to help their low number of subs grow and only irritates their non VAVAVoom customer base.
Of course VOOM probably knows something about marketing that I'm not realizing.

Bottom line...
They need at least one more tier of packaging (like everyone else).

6-month commitment?

Threv said:
I Called customer Service and asked about the the New Channels and Confirmed that they were availablefor VaVaVoom Customers only and I expressed my sadness. :(

She said said she needed to talk to a Supervisor and put me on hold for about a minute. Then she came back and said they they would give me VaVaVoom @ my current price-plan (49.95) for two months! Also she kindly reminded me that If I didn't want to keep it after 2 months I should cancel before the 3 rd months bill so I won't get charged.

Threv, did they lock you into the 6-month commitment when you upgraded your service? Just wondering...

DucTape said:
No need to clarify as that was the point of my post. That many who are cheerleading don't seem to want to pay for this fantastic possibility of a service.

Middle tier would be nice and competitive as well and I agree that how they added these latest was not good. Again I cannot help but to lay some of this on our legislators who seem bent on not allowing Ala Carte offering's.

If VOOM had a middle teir I would take it. I do not need VaVaVOOM because it would duplicate what I am already paying for from Dish. If VOOM had a DVR I would dump dish and pick up VaVaVOOM in a heartbeat. :)

I think reqiring people $40 more a month to watch 5 SD Basic Cable channels is a bad idea. I would like to see something in the middle of the road. Again if I want premium channels (HBO, Showtime etc) I would subscribe to them. These Discovery Channels are not premium channels, nor warrent a $40 increase just to see them.

ROLLZROYCE said:
Exactly! People complain that they want all the HD they can get yet they are not taking advantage of what they can. You people are trying to tell me you can't afford an extra $40 a month when you own a 65" HDTV? Please :rolleyes:

Easy there Tiger, just because you got a big TV doesn't necessarily mean you got lots of disposable income. (Nor does it mean that it "fell off a truck" either), $40 extra per month buys Months supply of Diapers,or 1 Day (almost ) of my Housekeeper, or 1 day of lawn service. or 1 month of Alarm monitoring, one months supply of Sour Apple Martini supplies, or 1/8 oz of Kryppies, or lot of TV!

Remember the Porche NEEDS Premium or its off to see Gunther the mechanic @ the "AutoHause".

Seriously though while many of us on this forum may have the disposable income, it doesn't mean we don't economize where we can and I'll bet there are alot of folks who scrimped and saved to get that 65" in TV or the extra $40.00 is their Best Buy Bill to pay for the TV.

Well....

Well, I must say I would be willing to cough up more money now to keep things going....

They could sell say 25,000 HD-DVR's for $400 each and that would raise $10million?????

It's just that long-term it is not affordable for most people to approach $100/month JUST for their TV-bill (considering they spent a wad on their equipment to boot). I know perhaps then I should just give up and sell my home theatre and leave TV for the big boys.....but that isn't going to help HD go anywhere. A middle ground has to be available..some like me see VOOM as offering that middle ground....HDTV for an affordable price at $50/month....however, the premiums are just out of whack. I'd pay $10 for each premium channel and only expect the HD ones..that would work. I'd get HBO and Starz 2 HD each so my bill would be $70...plus a DVR that would say cost either $10-$15/month if you rented it or $400 or so upfront. I would just like a fair share of HD and the ability to record it for around $80 or so a month....I don't see that as being unreasonable or cheap.

I think some people think a budget for HD should have no ceiling and then wonder why most people can't upgrade to it.

Scott Greczkowski said:
If VOOM had a middle teir I would take it. I do not need VaVaVOOM because it would duplicate what I am already paying for from Dish. If VOOM had a DVR I would dump dish and pick up VaVaVOOM in a heartbeat. :)

I think reqiring people $40 more a month to watch 5 SD Basic Cable channels is a bad idea. I would like to see something in the middle of the road. Again if I want premium channels (HBO, Showtime etc) I would subscribe to them. These Discovery Channels are not premium channels, nor warrent a $40 increase just to see them.

Scott, I agree with you completely, but think that if voom is planning on creating a middle tier, then they were wise in adding the additional channels to VaVa, at least initially. Just imagine how much more upset we would be if those channels were made available to everyone now, only to be taken away later to create that second tier?

Since I never really had those channels and have survived this long without them, I think I can wait until they are made available at a more reasonable price.

Although an introductory “free preview” period, available to all customers would have been an even better way to introduce those channels… That way when that middle tier package is made available more customers would be inclined to get it.

Voom4Me said:
Threv, did they lock you into the 6-month commitment when you upgraded your service? Just wondering...

(Re-edited for Clarity)

No they did not, the CSR said I could cancel the VaVaVOOM without penalty. However I did the 6 month commitment when I first signed up in Nov/Dec. The end of the 2 month Freebie for VaVaVOOM is also (coincidentally) the end of my original commitment. I plan on Keeping VOOM till it dies anyways so If the lights Go out I'll still have gotten the extra programming for Free. (Economizing and making the best out of a potentially bad outcome.) ;)

I do not think it makes sense to throw these six SD channels to the All PREMIUM package (VAVAVOOM). Simply, they are not in the same category.

If these channels were all HD channels, I can see an argument to do this, otherwise, there's something missing - another tier. It is my feeling that they are moving in this direction and this is why these channels were thrown into the VAVAVOOM package. It is much easier to justify a middle tier later than to take away the channels from the basic package later.

Now I do not agree with the way it is now. The way to do it was to announced a middle tier (even if you do not have enough channels now), give the basic subs a month preview of the new channels and then create your middle tier at the end of the preview. That works better for everyone and everyone understands the plans. Right now, no one understands it and it looks like they are asking $40 extra to watch six SD channels.

I don't care about these channels. Fox movies? Yeah that's what I want, more second rate fare in SD. NOT

I know just because you own an HDTV doesn't mean you are rich and that many of us finance them at BestBuy(like myself) but you can't tell me you would have bought an HDTV if you were not doing well financially. We should all look at Voom like an investment. The Dolans are taking a chance of losing everything because they believe in Voom! We should do are part by doing whatever we can to save it.

Threv said:
Easy there Tiger, just because you got a big TV doesn't necessarily mean you got lots of disposable income. (Nor does it mean that it "fell off a truck" either), $40 extra per month buys Months supply of Diapers,or 1 Day (almost ) of my Housekeeper, or 1 day of lawn service. or 1 month of Alarm monitoring, one months supply of Sour Apple Martini supplies, or 1/8 oz of Kryppies, or lot of TV!

Remember the Porche NEEDS Premium or its off to see Gunther the mechanic @ the "AutoHause".

Seriously though while many of us on this forum may have the disposable income, it doesn't mean we don't economize where we can and I'll bet there are alot of folks who scrimped and saved to get that 65" in TV or the extra $40.00 is their Best Buy Bill to pay for the TV.

You nailed it right on the head!!!! Well put!

Sean Mota said:
I do not think it makes sense to throw these six SD channels to the All PREMIUM package (VAVAVOOM). Simply, they are not in the same category.

If these channels were all HD channels, I can see an argument to do this, otherwise, there's something missing - another tier. It is my feeling that they are moving in this direction and this is why these channels were thrown into the VAVAVOOM package. It is much easier to justify a middle tier later than to take away the channels from the basic package later.

Now I do not agree with the way it is now. The way to do it was to announced a middle tier (even if you do not have enough channels now), give the basic subs a month preview of the new channels and then create your middle tier at the end of the preview. That works better for everyone and everyone understands the plans. Right now, no one understands it and it looks like they are asking $40 extra to watch six SD channels.

You took the words right out of my mouth... :)

Exactly my thoughts...

Sean Mota said:

Sean this is exactly the way I see it...!!!
In a competitive arena like the one they are in now, it doesn't make sense to add SD at a plus price. These are in basic or middle tiers on others including cable.

The idea to appeal to D* and E* subs is to offer what they have, but to do so at a more expensive cost???

Voom's edge has been HD but that HD offering alone hasn't initiated an exodus of D* and E* subs so these SD channels are to attract them. Why add them to the highest tier on Voom?

ROLLZROYCE said:
I know just because you own an HDTV doesn't mean you are rich and that many of us finance them at BestBuy(like myself) but you can't tell me you would have bought an HDTV if you were not doing well financially. We should all look at Voom like an investment. The Dolans are taking a chance of losing everything because they believe in Voom! We should do are part by doing whatever we can to save it.

Oh please...the Dolans are taking a chance to make money...not to help us!!!

Why should we view Voom as an investment? What kind of investment is paying for TV programming??? Can you cash that in and get back your investment like real estate? TV is entertainment and money you pay which is not coming back!!!

Don't get me wrong...I love Voom but it's TV not an investment.

New channels work here. No reboot and no problems.

I don't understand you guys!!! In one thread we are sobbing that we will lose our beloved Voom and we will gladly reach into our pockets or do anything to save Voom. The next thread: "WTF! I am not paying extra for this!"

Hey! If you want Voom to survive, get used to paying more! Commercial-free HD channels are worth it!

I am not on the bandwagon of making Voom more like D* and E*. But if more people will jump on Voom to get more SD, so Voom can give me my commercial-free HD, then I am all for adding more SD. Go figure.

I will probably never watch the new channels: Number One, because they are SD; Number Two, because they are loaded with commercials; and Number Three, because something better to watch in HD and commercial-free will be on a Premium channel or Voom Exclusive channel.

barth2k said:
I don't care about these channels. Fox movies? Yeah that's what I want, more second rate fare in SD. NOT
someday they might add a channel you do care about. It'd be a shame if you can't see it without spending forty more dollars a month.

ROLLZROYCE said:

I cannot afford an extra forty dollars a month. I saved up for a long time to be able to afford my 50" HDTV. If all the elitist snobs would like to chip in and pay for an upgrade for me to VaVa I would be quite happy to accept. And I would still think Voom screwed the pooch in how they handled adding these channels.

And I put the least expensive gas I can find in my 1987 Ford Ranger. No Porsche.

I agree with Sean and they did it wrong. They should have announced a new tier of middle priced premium channels and given a free preview. That way everyone has a chance to sample and subscribe and when they take it away nobody is offended because everyone knew. As someone else mentioned, I hope they don't move any of the current lot, like Discovery HD to a new premium tier although I could see it happen. I know I would have to give it a thought. Also $40 more is a lot for some. I have an HD TV but I am also on SS disability with my wife now working 3 jobs and a boy still in college. So $40 more a month is a big deal in this household. The repetition is so high, I would rather just rent the DVD which I get for free anyway anyway with my Discovercard points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)