New channels coming soon?

kelljc said:
Excellent Post: a VOOMER:...
Looks like you decided to comment on every single post in this forum. :)
Interesting idea, but wouldn't that essentially double the amount of posts people will have to read through? ;)

Dan Berndt said:
I understand that there may be some delay because of the CVC boardroom battle but I know of no technical reason why we can't get the new channels and VOOM has made no statement that we won't get the new channels.

Not to pee in anyone's corn flakes but selling off the only satellite that is currently delivering any Voom programming would constitute a "technical reason" to me. Sure a lease arrangement with Echostar or a purchase by Voomllc would keep things as they are but we have to consider that this won't happen.

I'm not a lawyer but I would suspect that any promises made by Voom in the past (when Cablevision/Rainbows DBS owned Voom) would not necessarily be transferred to the new owner, Charles Dolan's Voomllc would they? Even still the plans to add new channels were in a press release and things change all of the time so could you hold them to the announced plan anyway? By not buying Voom (the company) but instead buying Voom's assets I would think get Charles Dolan off the hook of any promises made by Voom which will be shut down after the sale is complete. I figure Charles would like to stick to the original plan but I think he gets to change it around any way he wants to after he is the sole owner.

subdude212 said:
Not to pee in anyone's corn flakes but selling off the only satellite that is currently delivering any Voom programming would constitute a "technical reason" to me. Sure a lease arrangement with Echostar or a purchase by Voomllc would keep things as they are but we have to consider that this won't happen.

I'm not a lawyer but I would suspect that any promises made by Voom in the past (when Cablevision/Rainbows DBS owned Voom) would not necessarily be transferred to the new owner, Charles Dolan's Voomllc would they? Even still the plans to add new channels were in a press release and things change all of the time so could you hold them to the announced plan anyway? By not buying Voom (the company) but instead buying Voom's assets I would think get Charles Dolan off the hook of any promises made by Voom which will be shut down after the sale is complete. I figure Charles would like to stick to the original plan but I think he gets to change it around any way he wants to after he is the sole owner.

Your glass is half empty but mine is half full. We don't know how VOOM was going to support the channel additions. Maybe everything was going to be on Rainbow II which is still under the lease agreement with VOOM.

I think Charles Dolan's PLAN is to make VOOM a competitive satellite company and it makes sense to me that adding all those channels would go a long ways towards that plan. Unless VOOM comes out and says that they can't add all the channels now because they can't reach an agreement with Echostar on lease of Rainbow I or something like that then I would have to assume that VOOM's plans have not changed.

I agree that there is a possibility that those channels won't be added but you would have to agree that there is a possibility that those channels will get added. I think the possibility of the channel additions is stronger.

Am I correct in assuming that Voom can and is going forward with it's previous plans regarding channels because it is a PENDING sale of Rainbow 1 to Echostar? Since when do they have to just go into a holding pattern regarding use of that satellite when the sale has not even been approved (or maybe even presented) to the FCC?

And as far as Voom "concentrating" all of their resources on the 3-31 deadline and not worrying about new channels or DVR, the techheads and all those involved with the future channel additions and DVR probably have zero to do with the ownership negotiations, so why NOT go ahead with the previous plans?

stevvot said:
Am I correct in assuming that Voom can and is going forward with it's previous plans regarding channels because it is a PENDING sale of Rainbow 1 to Echostar? Since when do they have to just go into a holding pattern regarding use of that satellite when the sale has not even been approved (or maybe even presented) to the FCC?
The sale has been presented. The comment window is open (look for the "IB 05-72" thread among others). Approval is expected at the end of April. (Cablevision and Echostar originally said approval could be expected in 60 days, but that was January 20th and some time passed before the comment window opened.)

Voom can move ahead as fast as it wants. Adding the channels now was planned and builds momentum toward whatever their future is. If the end up on Rainbow2 (at 72 west) the new content can move as easily as the old.

"Auto-pilot" isn't a kind word, but apparently nobody has told those working to improve Voom and add channels to cease their work so they continue as if the ownership issues were not going on. People are dedicated to the tasks set before them in November and January when the channels were announced, and they continue to work.

JL

Dan Berndt said:
Your glass is half empty but mine is half full.

Don't get me wrong - I have no idea if Charles would scale back the number of channels that Voom may offer its customers. Maybe with sole control he'll just change up the plan a little bit like add 120 HD channels and drop the number of SD channels to 250. I think we customers have to consider that VOOM HD LLC may change things up from the original plan and possibly significantly in the near term with the sale of Rainbow 1.

More likely until there is a final deal between Cablevision and Voom HD LLC there will be nothing said about any past promises such as new channels, DVR release, SD clients, whole home networking solution, mpeg4, etc. Why would either entity say anything whilst things are in limbo? Sure, as a customer I'd like to know a hell of a lot more than has been announced officially but I can understand why nobody's talking right now.

Dan Berndt said:
I agree that there is a possibility that those channels won't be added but you would have to agree that there is a possibility that those channels will get added. I think the possibility of the channel additions is stronger.

I definitely agree and actually believe that Charles Dolan is going to do what he can to deliver even more than what was previously promised. I also think that if he does succeed in buying Voom's assets that he'll make the press release on April 1st include some big new additions in terms of new HD channels, DVR roll-out and new resale partners. Well, if I were Chuck I'd come out with guns blazing.

justalurker said:
"Auto-pilot" isn't a kind word, but apparently nobody has told those working to improve Voom and add channels to cease their work so they continue as if the ownership issues were not going on. People are dedicated to the tasks set before them in November and January when the channels were announced, and they continue to work.
JL

Dude, forget auto-pilot! You've been asleep at the wheel and snorring the same tone over and over :D :D :D

These new channels don't come to Voom for free. Nothing to do with auto-pilot at the content provider side. Someone there must believe there will be a deal and they'll get paid.

Hope they are right...., now go back to sleep :sleeo

subdude212 said:
Don't get me wrong - I have no idea if Charles would scale back the number of channels that Voom may offer its customers.

I would. about 1/3 of the exclusives I would combine or can. Would be a smart move. Use the bandwidth for content people would join for.

Dan Berndt said:
This may be old news but relates to March and WE ARE IN March. The point is that there has been no retraction on this press release. We are starting to get new channels now and this might be first of all these new channels.

Wouldn't you like to get 200 new SD channels and some 30 plus new HD channels? The technical plans for this to happen in March have been in place for a long time. I understand that there may be some delay because of the CVC boardroom battle but I know of no technical reason why we can't get the new channels and VOOM has made no statement that we won't get the new channels.
It is true that VOOM had made no statement that we would not get new channels ... But VOOM also made no statement to anyone about selling the company all that is going on..... Think about it....

vurbano said:
I would. about 1/3 of the exclusives I would combine or can. Would be a smart move. Use the bandwidth for content people would join for.

I hope after 3/31 there is a reason to discuss this. If bandwidth is an issue, I would say Voom could combine some of their movie channels so they show 4 movies a day. Maybe they could also combine some of the other channels that might go together.
Although, who knows the addition of which obscure or specialized channel might cause some people to join.

I like all the new channels that Voom is adding but I too would like to see Fox Sports Network added so I can see the Texas Rangers on the days that the game is carried by Fox and not my local channel. Keep up the good work Voom.

First, I am NOT a VOOM subscriber.

Second, You want to get my business? I have a 57" Pioneer Elite and will be buying my wife a 30" HDTV for her bedroom this summer.

Again I ask, Do you VOOMERs want my business. Hey, Dolan baby, you want my business? Here is how.

Knock down those 21 hd channels to 10 or twelve channels that can deliver more than two or three slots a day before rehashing the program venue. Make sure that you do as little compression as possible -- that includes any SD content you are showing. Now here is the big one --

YOU MUST PROVIDE HD NATIONALS!! All of them -- ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN, PBS. They can initially be distants at first but then as your bandwith increases you then must offer locals in HD. I believe that Chuck Sr. can do this and that you will see sizable increases and I mean dramatic increases in subscriptions.

It is simple, the most new HD content currently out there is on the OTA channels. That is why you see D* advertising that they will be offering locals in HD this summer. That is why E* is scrambiling for bandwith. Subscriptions really took off for E* when they began offering locals. Everytime I read a post about a HD customer leaving the satellite domain for a cable offering it is because of free HD locals. You VOOMERs must see the reality if you want VOOM to succeed. It will not expand quickly without the nationals in HD nor a laid out program to get the locals in HD as soon as posible.

VOOM -- you want my business you must show me your serious before D* and E* start offering Nationals and locals in HD. Do that, and I will not hesitate to install VOOM. No distant National HD or no plan for local HD and I do not see how VOOM can possible get my business. When MPEG4 arrives I will be going where my locals in HD are ---period.

So the question is VOOM -- do you really want my HD business?

JoeSp said:

Second, You want to get my business? I have a 57" Pioneer Elite and will be buying my wife a 30" HDTV for her bedroom this summer.

Again I ask, Do you VOOMERs want my business. Hey, Dolan baby, you want my business? Here is how.

Knock down those 21 hd channels to 10 or twelve channels that can deliver more than two or three slots a day before rehashing the program venue. Make sure that you do as little compression as possible -- that includes any SD content you are showing. Now here is the big one --

YOU MUST PROVIDE HD NATIONALS!! All of them -- ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN, PBS.
Putting up nationals on satellite - any satellite - is a complete waste of bandwidth. You can get these locally and have local content to boot. Worse yet is DirecTV's plan to have 1500 local HD channels, essentially 300 copies of the same set of channels.

GreatMac said:
Dude, forget auto-pilot! You've been asleep at the wheel and snorring the same tone over and over
Yes, I've been saying that Voom is a good service and that their employees are dedicated to their jobs. I suppose some people don't want to hear positive comments about Voom from someone who hasn't drunk the Kool-Aid.

But if it annoys, I'll cut back on the compliments.
vsmile.jpg

JL

JoeSp said:

YOU MUST PROVIDE HD NATIONALS!! All of them -- ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN, PBS. They can initially be distants at first but then as your bandwith increases you then must offer locals in HD. I believe that Chuck Sr. can do this and that you will see sizable increases and I mean dramatic increases in subscriptions.

It is simple, the most new HD content currently out there is on the OTA channels. That is why you see D* advertising that they will be offering locals in HD this summer. That is why E* is scrambiling for bandwith. Subscriptions really took off for E* when they began offering locals. Everytime I read a post about a HD customer leaving the satellite domain for a cable offering it is because of free HD locals. You VOOMERs must see the reality if you want VOOM to succeed. It will not expand quickly without the nationals in HD nor a laid out program to get the locals in HD as soon as posible.

VOOM -- you want my business you must show me your serious before D* and E* start offering Nationals and locals in HD. Do that, and I will not hesitate to install VOOM. No distant National HD or no plan for local HD and I do not see how VOOM can possible get my business. When MPEG4 arrives I will be going where my locals in HD are ---period.

So the question is VOOM -- do you really want my HD business?

I HAVE ALL THE LOCALS - A big chunk of the "population" lives in range of most if not all the locals being broadcast - yes all mine are in HD and no I did not upgrade my antenna. I live near a small market - Nashville, TN. I think they could get rid of that damn LAB channel, but other than that I like the 21 HD channels. Oh, and OTA is the best way to get locals anyway IMHO - less compression.

techweb said:
Worse yet is DirecTV's plan to have 1500 local HD channels, essentially 300 copies of the same set of channels.
FYI: There are only 210 local markets and many of them do not have all four major networks. There is also the issue of local stations that have not gone to HD (and probably will not - since there is no HD mandate).
1500 is a capacity number and a number D* should not be using as no one subscriber will have 1500 HD channels. They can only scrape together about 300 SD channels - even if EVERYONE producing TV (including ShopNBC) went to HD reaching 1500 HD to each customer isn't going to happen.
"We're launching 1500 HD channels and you might get four or five of them."
DirecTV​
That would be a fair statement.

Perhaps someone should start a class action against D* and make it 3 for 3 with all three DBS companies being sued by their customers/stockholders. :D

JL

techweb said:
Putting up nationals on satellite - any satellite - is a complete waste of bandwidth. You can get these locally and have local content to boot. Worse yet is DirecTV's plan to have 1500 local HD channels, essentially 300 copies of the same set of channels.

That sounds logical, but I have already seen problems with this. Recently ABC had a Peter Jennings special about UFOs. I looked in the PG on Voom and my local ABC affiliate was supposed to be carrying that in HD and on OTA.

When the program started, it was not in HD but their normal 4:3 digital broadcast.

Luckily, I still have my D* connected (contract ends April 30) and still have the HD package. They carry the ABC national feed in HD and when I switched over to D*, the special WAS being broadcast in 16:9 HD.

So, I am not sure how that works but clearly the local affiliates can decide how they broadcast HD content on OTA. Maybe this was a one time only error on their part, but it was annoying and I am glad that I am still holding on to my D*.

speedyray said:
I HAVE ALL THE LOCALS - A big chunk of the "population" lives in range of most if not all the locals being broadcast - yes all mine are in HD and no I did not upgrade my antenna. I live near a small market - Nashville, TN. I think they could get rid of that damn LAB channel, but other than that I like the 21 HD channels. Oh, and OTA is the best way to get locals anyway IMHO - less compression.
I too like 21 VOOM channels...certainly not all of them, but there is something for everyone. I agree that VOOM needs to provide HD National feeds, but HD locals are an unneccessary service, which waste bandwidth and increase costs to the subscriber IMO. Why anyone would pay to receive a diluted signal when they can receive a pristine HD signal from the source defies logic since most people, certainly not all, can receive locals digitals with an OTA antenna.

70 new HD channels?

You know those rumored "70 new HD channels"?

Everybody is guessing what they might be.

AFAIK nobody has suggested that some might be new commercial-free Voom Exclusive channels: Perhaps DocHD? PlayhouseHD? OperaHD? AnimalsHD? HomeDecoHD? TechHD? Or even WorldCinema2HD and FilmFest2HD?

Any other proprietary channel ideas?

I still think proprietary channels hold the most exciting possibilities for Voom.

1080iBeVuMin said:
You know those rumored "70 new HD channels"?

Everybody is guessing what they might be.

AFAIK nobody has suggested that some might be new commercial-free Voom Exclusive channels: Perhaps DocHD? PlayhouseHD? OperaHD? AnimalsHD? HomeDecoHD? TechHD? Or even WorldCinema2HD and FilmFest2HD?

Any other proprietary channel ideas?

I still think proprietary channels hold the most exciting possibilities for Voom.

More Exclusives?? No Please Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Havent we seen the rotten fruits of this misguided strategy already. 40-50k subs in 1.5 yrs. A little dabbling in exclusive channels is fine but adding more would be suicide. Theres NO CONTENT!!!!!!