New Edision Mio+ Owner

Arion

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
Brian;--

Just got mine today at work and setting it up on the fast internet before I take it home. I see on the plugins that Kodi isn't available as an example. Is there a hidden menu on the TNAP to enable other plugins or to add those plugins to the feed? For grins I already installed OpenVix as well on the multi-boot as I'm more familiar with it but I would like to use TNAP as well. Already saw a few plugins that it comes with that aren't available on the OpenVix feed. Initial impressions without the dishes or anything hooked up is this is a fast a sturdy receiver and seems more responsive and quicker than my Octagon and the metal case an OLED display is very nice.

Possible bug with the Mio+ that hopefully Brian can address as well as other Mio+ owners can attempt to replicate. Also interested from hearing from Mio 4K single tuner owners to see if they have this issue. This is hands down the best receiver I've ever had and I'll do a thorough review in a few days. There is one 'bug' however that I can't seem to find away around.

The bug is that the receiver as is will not play back .avi video container format from an external hard drive. In attempting to play back avi video it goes to a blank screen and sits there. Have had no problem with MKV, MP4 and other newer video formats ect. What I did in order to see if it was a TNAP V2 problem or receiver problem is that I did a multiboot and installed OpenVix in another slot as that is the E2 version in my Octagon S8008 and I'm more familiar with it. Same problem with OpenVix. Using the media player AVI video will not resolve. So then what I did was to install Kodi in OpenVix as Kodi is a lot like the VLC player and can play almost everything and the AVI videos will not play back in Kodi either.

My SF8008 has no problem with AVI so it looks like this might be a hardware level type issue for the Mio+. Not sure why as AVI should be backwards compatible so I guess I'm asking Brian and other owners to attempt to duplicate the problem as see if there is a workaround with a codec change or a plugin of some sort that might work. I have over 1TB of video in AVI format and the only other thing I can think of is transcoding all that video into a different format that the Mio+ likes which would be a major PITA or of course I could use a Plex server or something on my TV to stream from the Mio+ to the TV but that really shouldn't be necessary with such a state of the art box as this one is.

Opinions??

Read this thread and see what you think.

I never got back into it further than the posts in the thread link Magic posted above. Why bother when I already have a WDTVLIVE, and a Roku Ultra? Those are good media players and do that job best, and I'm certainly capable of switching to another HDMI input to use them.

The Mio is primarily a great satellite receiver, and does that job best.

So, to each, they have their own job... I have no need for a single device that does everything perfectly, as that just doesn't seem to exist.

Reactions: norman881
Opinions are great and we all have them. The question on the table is does your Mio or Mio+ render an avi format video clip from an external drive plugged directly into the USB connector on the Mio? That should be simple enough to answer with little effort as I’m sure we all have have numerous avi videos. Of course there are workarounds If your using a networked drive but that wasn’t really my question. Agreed that no box is perfect and does everything. If that was the case the Mio’s would do 4:2:2 as well. Lol!

I was able to move some AVI files onto the MIO itself although it has limited space. Very few of them would play though. :( I figured if we resolved the LAN access issue I still couldn't play the numerous file types in my library. :(

Thanks! If you got any of them to play directly you had better luck than me. I have Servio and Plex dlna servers on the PC that can stream those files to the TV. I was able to download the ’mini-dlna‘ plugin for the Mio and get that setup to stream to the TV as a work around so that is some progress.

Reactions: c-spand and FTA4PA
Not to derail, but I wish the mio or mio+ would be able to stream movies from my server. Not sure what the issue it, but cannot get it to work, just locally.

Reactions: Magic Static
I transferred a few AVI files to a thumb drive and they played directly from the external drive......

interesting! I can‘t play any .avi files regardless if from thumb drive or external hard drive and won’t play xvid files either. This is using the built in media player in Tnap2 as well as the built in player using the multi-boot and running OpenVix. And running Kodi under OpenVix won’t play them either which I found to be strange as Kodi is similar to VLC which should be Able to play almost anything.

No big problem as running minidlna I can stream from the Mio to the TV and see them that way. But to make life easier I’m transcoding all my .avi folders to .mp4 and just replacing them on the external drive. Overall love the Mio+ and will do a review this weekend.

This will be my initial review of the box as I've had it for about 5 days now. This is my third box that will do 4K. The first one was my Zgemma which was dual tuner but couldn't blind scan and didn't work on the AAC audio channels. The second was my Octagon S8008 which was single tuner with a good blind scan but also didn't work on AAC audio and now the Mil+ which has excellent blind scan and does work on the AAC audio channels.

When removing it from the shipping box I noticed right away that it's a fair amount smaller than the Octagon but quite a bit heavier. With the aluminum box instead of plastic one on the Octagon it just felt 'heftier' and higher quality. It comes nicely apportioned with the power cable with appropriate 120V North American plug set so one doesn't have to use an adapter although I just hardwired it directly into my 12v solar system. It also comes with a small USB cable and an IR extender so if you want to hide the receiver and still use the remote you could put the receiver just about anywhere.

The Mio+ has dual wifi antennas like the Octagon but whereas the Octagon's are built into the back of the receiver the Mio+ has two separate screw on antennas with brass ferrules and if your just going to run your box off the Lan you don't need to connect the antennas at all.

The receiver came with the TnapV2 firmware which I think is excellent for someone just starting out with Enigma2. Your options are somewhat limited and so are the plugins and other pieces of software that you can download. And it's set up to make it very hard for you to screw something up which is nice with a system [Enigma2] in which there are a lot of ways to brick your box and mess things up if you don't know what your doing.

I am more comfortable with OpenVix as that is what I use on my Octagon and I'm more familiar with so I downloaded that right away using the built in multi-boot setup. Much simpler as opposed to multibooting other boxes. You don't have to format a USB drive in a particular way and do a complicated boot up procedure by holding in different buttons, ect. Just a matter of downloading the zip file and putting it on the thumbdrive still zipped and then instructing the multi-boot plugin to install it. So simple a cave man can do it. LOL!

The blind scan issue has been fixed apparently and I noticed that this box is significantly quicker than the Octagon which was no slouch. Had a bit of trouble with all the radio channels on 105 as it was taking too long to log them all in so I did that one transponder by transponder. Channel changes are significantly quicker than the Octagon taking a second or less whereas the Octagon was significantly longer. I have tuner A set to the c-band dish and tuner B set to the Ku dish. Although my Zegemma was also a dual tuner this is the first time I've run KU and C off of one receiver. Took me awhile to figure out how it liked the LNB settings but once I did that it was off to the races and the box effortlessly changes between tuners. I haven't tried to set up recordings as of yet.

The only 'bug' that I found was in my case the box doesn't want to play .avi or .divx video files whereas the few others that responded either had no trouble or some trouble. That wasn't a big problem for me so I'm just transcoding my videos over to .mp4 which the box likes better. So not sure if that is a design flaw with the Mio or I just had some bad luck. I use the box for a one receiver solution for the tv as well as radio and multi-media using Kodi and an external drive for playback. The plugin feeds only have Kodi 17.6 instead of Kodi 18 so some of the Kodi feeds and links for enhancements are getting out of date but that isn't the fault of the receiver.

In short my Zegemma was the oldest receiver with the Octagon being a year newer with better features and now the Mio+ being a year and a half newer than the Octagon. There is definitely a performance enhancement with this box over the older ones and at a very competitive price point. For me it was worthwhile to buy the new box and others might well be content with what they have now. Every year or two something better is bound to come along but the Mio+ is currently state of the art for consumer level and consumer price point boxes and as always Brian is a good man to do business with and who stands behind his product. His reluctance to sell the boxes before the TnapV2 was ready to go as a prime example. As stated earlier the Tnap will be adequate for most people especially newbies that don't want to mess things up but if your like me and have a favorite flavor of E2 you will probably want to put that on the box as well. With multi-boot it's not a problem to run two or three different images.

Arion Thanks for your informative review review. The comparisons between the models was very insightful.

There is a good way to blind scan the thousands of radio services on 105w. This incredible number of radio services can be quickly logged by selecting All Services rather than the FTA only scan mode. This selection reduces the blind scan and service scan time to approx 4 minutes vs the 1/2 hour if each of the 3000 services are analyzed and sorted for only non encrypted services. This work around works well since there are few encrypted services on 105w and there will be only a few scrambled channels to edit from the service list.

Enjoy!

Reactions: k.r. and c-spand
I wonder how fast the scan would be if there was an option to scan only TV signals. To the best of my recollection, the osmio4k is the first receiver to not have an option like that. Also, does the firmware look for router 5 GHz wifi signals? On the osmio4k you can edit a file in order to use 5GHz and I would assume the same could be done on the osmio4k+ (in case the wifi scanner doesn't look for 5 GHz). And does the osmio4k+ have 802.11ac/ad wifi hardware?

I’m hardwired into the Ethernet but I just pulled up the wireless and scanned and it shows both the 2Ghz and 5Ghz access points and fwiw the box is running Kernel 5.3.0

Arion Thanks for your informative review review. The comparisons between the models was very insightful.

There is a good way to blind scan the thousands of radio services on 105w. This incredible number of radio services can be quickly logged by selecting All Services rather than the FTA only scan mode. This selection reduces the blind scan and service scan time to approx 4 minutes vs the 1/2 hour if each of the 3000 services are analyzed and sorted for only non encrypted services. This work around works well since there are few encrypted services on 105w and there will be only a few scrambled channels to edit from the service list.

Enjoy!

I had time to make and then bake a cherry pie...lol
20191128_192947.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)