new edision os mio 4k issues

I believe that the active image, TNAP was deleted. I am not aware of any option in the TNAP image GUI for deleting images installed in the other multiboot slots.

What images do you have installed in the other multiboot slots?

Did you back-up the TNAP image? If so, restore from the back-up.

No need to send back for any service. The boot loader is working fine. Many options to install images in other slots using either the GUI or clear/manage using telenet. Tell us what you want to do....

Maybe install a different multiboot image over the active OpenSPA image (active slot)?

I believe that the active image, TNAP was deleted. I am not aware of any option in the TNAP image GUI for deleting images installed in the other multiboot slots.

What images do you have installed in the other multiboot slots?

TNAP, OpenSPA, vacant, OpenDroid.

Did you back-up the TNAP image? If so, restore from the back-up.

No backup.

No need to send back for any service. The boot loader is working fine. Many options to install images in other slots using either the GUI or clear/manage using telenet. Tell us what you want to do....

What GUI since you said it can't be done via TNAP? How do I fix this via telnet or ssh? I couldn't find anything that details how to do it via telnet or ssh. I've heard that it's possible to do using FileZilla or some FTP/SFTP client. I can't find info for doing that either.

Maybe install a different multiboot image over the active OpenSPA image (active slot)?

It'll go in Slot 1 which is the default slot. After you install OpenPLi you can make changes to the other slots. The important thing is to get your receiver bootable again :)

It's back up with TNAP. Now, I have to figure out (again) how I installed images in other slots (and how to remove images from slots). However, on a reboot I get a screen that displays the OpenSPA logo and then it goes to the TNAP/OpenPli/SatDreamGR screen.

Geesh Johnnynobody! What an ordeal you're going through.
My 2 cents. Can using different slots for now and slap openatv 6.2 on it. That's what I started out using on my Zgemma H7...then on my new Mio.
I tried quite a few different flashes of different versions. I kept going back to openatv. I was (am still compared to the elders here) a noob in all of this.
I know Brian...you're cringing. But openatv for me is real stable and has just the right amount of bells and whistles I need.
And I do periodic updates. Addressed the time issue in the openatv forum and it eventually looks like it got fixed.
FYI. My NTP server is time.windows.com. Just like my PC's and boxes I run Linux on.
I have noticed that if my mio is off for awhile...overnight...it does in fact take a few minutes to sync the time. Never more than a few minutes.

Off topic. But a good stick in the spokes. I don't want nor need 4 slots for different Enigma2 flavors. I may only want 2. Or 1. And then I'd have a receiver with that much more usable memory. I don't really need to multiboot.

I read page 1, 5, and 6 of this post. Johnny, you sound like me when I first got started. Chin up. It's a learning experience.
I'm sure a capture card that works well is a good toy to have in the geekbox. I put an external (and externally powered) 1tb hard drive on my mio.
Since it's readily visible in Windows network, transferring files back and forth to the mio file system is a breeze. Although I still use Filezilla a lot.

The TNAP image does not install an emmc image, so the OpenSPA emmc image file in that slot was not overwritten and continues to be displayed during start-up.

If you wish to have the Edision emmc image displayed during start-up as it was in the delivery default, first install an image that contains the Edision emmc file then install the TNAP image.

Example: Install SatdreamGR image to overwrite the OpenSPA emmc image file then install the TNAP image.

If the STB time is set to sync with NTP, the time will be accurate on reboot of waking-up from deep stand bye mode if the menu change is made as shown by Primestar31 in post # 85

The TNAP image does not install an emmc image, so the OpenSPA emmc image file in that slot was not overwritten and continues to be displayed during start-up.

If you wish to have the Edision emmc image displayed during start-up as it was in the delivery default, first install an image that contains the Edision emmc file then install the TNAP image.

Example: Install SatdreamGR image to overwrite the OpenSPA emmc image file then install the TNAP image.

If the STB time is set to sync with NTP, the time will be accurate on reboot of waking-up from deep stand bye mode if the menu change is made as shown by Primestar31 in post # 85

First I installed the latest stable OpenPLi image and then installed the latest stable SatDreamGr image. For some reason I didn't have to install the TNAP image. Is that necessary? I still have the OpenSPA logo displaying on bootup or reboot before going to the TNAP screen.

If the image folder that you are installing does not have an emmc file, the current emmc image will remain. Sounds like the images that you are installing do not have the emmc file in the image folder. Since you are familiar with TNAP (based on SatDreamGR), I would use Telnet to delete slots 2,3 and 4 and install the SatDreamGR image in slot 1. Then you will be starting with a clean slate again. Too bad that back-ups weren't being made, but nothing you can do about that now... except, start keeping back-ups... :)

You may install any E2 image that you wish in any of the four slots. You may install the skin that you prefer. I prefer keeping an OpenPLI based image in slot 1 in case I have any issues. I feel comfortable with how OpenPLI images work and easy to restore or manage multiboot.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Here is some of what El Bandido has taught us about telnet:

mmcblk1p9 = 4 (rootfs)
mmcblk1p8 = 4 (kernel)
mmcblk1p7 = 3 (rootfs)
mmcblk1p6 = 3 (kernel)
mmcblk1p5 = 2 (rootfs)
mmcblk1p4 = 2 (kernel)
mmcblk1p3 = 1 (rootfs)
mmcblk1p2 = 1 (kernel)

You can delete any partition you want by using this command:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1p[Partition Number Goes Here] bs=1M count=1

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1p9 bs=1M count=1 erases any image that is in mount 4

The current partition you are on may also be deleted using the above command, but the image will have to be reloaded through flash OR the multiboot menu at boot will have to be brought up by pressing the menu button several times when the receiver first shows the word 'boot",

Deleting the partition the receiver is running on will not hurt anything. But it may cause an inconvenience.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The files
Multiboot images will basically have an image version, a kernel.bin file, and a rootfs.tar.bz2.
These files may be named slightly different, such as kernel1, but they should be very similar in name.
Some images are being shipped right now with both the emmc flash AND the multiboot flash in the same package. If this happens or is seen, simply delete the emmc file and leave the rest.

ofgwrite Is the program that writes the files to the correct partition or mount location.
-k tells ofgwrite to install the kernel bin file. -r Tells ofgwrite to UnZip, then write the rootfs file.
So rootfs.tar.bz2. should not be unzipped or unpacked by us to flash a mount.
The telnet command to flash is: ofgwrite -k -r -m[1-4].

A test command I used earlier that was successful is this:
ofgwrite -k -r -m2 /media/usb/osmio4k1
Where ofgwrite -k - r -m2 says Write kernel and root file system to mount location 2, followed by the path to the Unzipped folder that contains the flash files which is /media/usb/osmio4k1

- - - - - - - - - - -

A word about bricking the OS MIO:
The MIO contains a Bolt bootloader.
BEWARE of any file or folder that is being flashed and contains a file named bolt.bin!
Really the only way to destroy the MIO or render it useless is to corrupt the bootloader named bolt.bin.
If the file system gets corrupted or one of the partitions gets corrupted, then it can be reflashed, Providing that there is a bootloader.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Upgrade the image in telnet using these commands:
opkg update
opkg upgrade

OR

opkg update && opkg upgrade

Reactions: Corrado
If the image folder that you are installing does not have an emmc file, the current emmc image will remain. Sounds like the images that you are installing do not have the emmc file in the image folder. Since you are familiar with TNAP (based on SatDreamGR), I would use Telnet to delete slots 2,3 and 4 and install the SatDreamGR image in slot 1. Then you will be starting with a clean slate again. Too bad that back-ups weren't being made, but nothing you can do about that now... except, start keeping back-ups... :)

I extracted openpli-7.0-release-osmio4k-20190603_usb.zip and there was a file emmc.img in the osmio4k directory.

You may install any E2 image that you wish in any of the four slots. You may install the skin that you prefer. I prefer keeping an OpenPLI based image in slot 1 in case I have any issues. I feel comfortable with how OpenPLI images work and easy to restore or manage multiboot.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Here is some of what El Bandido has taught us about telnet:

mmcblk1p9 = 4 (rootfs)
mmcblk1p8 = 4 (kernel)
mmcblk1p7 = 3 (rootfs)
mmcblk1p6 = 3 (kernel)
mmcblk1p5 = 2 (rootfs)
mmcblk1p4 = 2 (kernel)
mmcblk1p3 = 1 (rootfs)
mmcblk1p2 = 1 (kernel)

You can delete any partition you want by using this command:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1p[Partition Number Goes Here] bs=1M count=1

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1p9 bs=1M count=1 erases any image that is in mount 4

The current partition you are on may also be deleted using the above command, but the image will have to be reloaded through flash OR the multiboot menu at boot will have to be brought up by pressing the menu button several times when the receiver first shows the word 'boot",

Deleting the partition the receiver is running on will not hurt anything. But it may cause an inconvenience.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Good info to know. I'll have to create a text file with this info since it's not easy to find. I'm glad that you reminded me of how to bring up the multiboot menu at boot time. Gotta write this stuff down. But, I need to create memos to tell me where to find all these memos.

The files
Multiboot images will basically have an image version, a kernel.bin file, and a rootfs.tar.bz2.
These files may be named slightly different, such as kernel1, but they should be very similar in name.
Some images are being shipped right now with both the emmc flash AND the multiboot flash in the same package. If this happens or is seen, simply delete the emmc file and leave the rest.

ofgwrite Is the program that writes the files to the correct partition or mount location.
-k tells ofgwrite to install the kernel bin file. -r Tells ofgwrite to UnZip, then write the rootfs file.
So rootfs.tar.bz2. should not be unzipped or unpacked by us to flash a mount.
The telnet command to flash is: ofgwrite -k -r -m[1-4].

A test command I used earlier that was successful is this:
ofgwrite -k -r -m2 /media/usb/osmio4k1
Where ofgwrite -k - r -m2 says Write kernel and root file system to mount location 2, followed by the path to the Unzipped folder that contains the flash files which is /media/usb/osmio4k1

- - - - - - - - - - -

More good info to know. I searched for info on ofgwrite and found info at github but it was a different version of ofgwrite. More info that's difficult to find.

A word about bricking the OS MIO:
The MIO contains a Bolt bootloader.
BEWARE of any file or folder that is being flashed and contains a file named bolt.bin!
Really the only way to destroy the MIO or render it useless is to corrupt the bootloader named bolt.bin.
If the file system gets corrupted or one of the partitions gets corrupted, then it can be reflashed, Providing that there is a bootloader.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I've seen links to bootloader upgrades but I won't mess with that. Regardless, there must be a way to reinstall/fix the bootloader by an advanced user. I don't consider myself an expert at anything but I have been known to fix issues with bricked routers. I am an advanced user of Linux though.

Upgrade the image in telnet using these commands:
opkg update
opkg upgrade

OR

opkg update && opkg upgrade

I'm familiar with opkg and have used it on routers and even with the osmio4k. I prefer to use ssh instead of telnet even though I don't believe any of my LAN users are blackhat hackers.

The time was fine for 3 hours after re-installing OpenVIX but after restoring the backup the time went crazy again.