New FTA user

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I use the Satellite Pointer app on my iPhone and found it's just as accurate as a new conventional compass that I purchased. YMMV

Yes, make sure the settings in your meter and satellite receiver match the l.o. (local oscillator) frequency on your lnb. :)
Yes, make sure the settings in your meter and satellite receiver match the l.o. (local oscillator) frequency on your lnb. :)
Ok so what do I set the Hi frequency to. So I set the lo to 97500
I use the Satellite Pointer app on my iPhone and found it's just as accurate as a new conventional compass that I purchased. YMMV
Ok I'll try that

Just set the high to 10600 and turn on 22kHz. No need for the low one, for what you are doing.

Yea that's the one but how do I adjust the lnb the dishpointer reads -10degrees. The lnb holder reads 10 50 100 or something like that on both sides
Just slightly rotate it back and forth watching your meter for maximum quality. Those stamped on numbers are just relative anyway.

Just slightly rotate it back and forth watching your meter for maximum quality. Those stamped on numbers are just relative anyway.
Oh ok so is that how u get the signal quality to come in or is that how u adjust the strength of the signal quality

When I'm looking for a signal do I need to have the dish hooked up to the sat link 6933 and the Satellite reciever
You can search for signal with your meter or take your receiver and a tv out to the dish. Either way will work. The benefit of using the receiver/tv is the ability to do a blind scan immediately upon finding a signal. Since the WS-6933 does not have a loop through when you find a signal on it you will need to disconnect the coax from it and connect it to your receiver to blind scan. Always power down your equipment when attaching/removing coax cables, etc. :)

You can search for signal with your meter or take your receiver and a tv out to the dish. Either way will work. The benefit of using the receiver/tv is the ability to do a blind scan immediately upon finding a signal. Since the WS-6933 does not have a loop through when you find a signal on it you will need to disconnect the coax from it and connect it to your receiver to blind scan. Always power down your equipment when attaching/removing coax cables, etc. :)
Ok thanks and I was curious the lnb does need a power source to work does it cause I notice the meter has 13v and 18v on it

Ok so the sat link is the power source. I done got my dB up to 81 but still no lock do I need to move the dish up and down
If you have verified that your azimuth, elevation and lnb skew are correct then aim the dish by loosening the mount (the part that rotates on your pole) just enough to turn it. Rotate left, then right very slowly until you get a lock. If you get a lock do a blind scan and compare the channels with www.lyngsat.com, www.sathint.com or www.tvrosat.com to see what sat you are on. If you get no lock raise or lower the dish elevation a little bit and repeat the above. Movements and adjustments must be very small. After each adjustment give a few seconds for the meter or receiver to lock signal before trying again. A fraction of an inch means the difference between a strong signal and nothing at all.

Oh ok so is that how u get the signal quality to come in or is that how u adjust the strength of the signal quality
You need to make a good guess as to where the skew should be. 10 will not be much off of 0.
Then, and I assume your pole is plumb and sturdy, set your elevation to what dishpointer states.
Leave your dish a little loose on the pole so that you can rotate it by hand.
Make sure you have a good known transponder programmed into your meter for the satellite you are after.
Make sure your LO is set correctly also.
Swing your dish where it is the general direction it should be per your compass, smart phone, or dishpointer.
Then slowly go back and forth, moving the whole dish on the pole, from where you think it should. ie. move it left a little ways then back to start and right a little ways. The whole time watching your Q, or Quality bar.
Nothing?
Okay, then move your elevation up 1 degree. Repeat above, nothing go up another and repeat, and repeat, and repeat..untill you are about 5 degrees or so up, by this time you have missed it assuming all is plumb again.
Still Nothing?
Go back to where dishpointer says and start dropping 1 deg at a time. Make sure you are move back and forth slowly and be patient.
If you are after 97W, and this is a great start for a newbie, use this: 12152 H 20000.

Reactions: raydio
Ok
You need to make a good guess as to where the skew should be. 10 will not be much off of 0.
Then, and I assume your pole is plumb and sturdy, set your elevation to what dishpointer states.
Make sure you have a good known transponder programmed into your meter for the satellite you are after.
Swing your dish where it is the general direction it should be per your compass, smart phone, or dishpointer.
Then slowly go back and forth, moving the whole dish on the pole, from where you think it should. ie. move it left a little ways then back to start and right a little ways. The whole time watching your Q, or Quality bar.
Nothing?
Okay, then move your elevation up 1 degree. Repeat above, nothing go up another and repeat, and repeat, and repeat..untill you are about 5 degrees or so up, by this time you have missed it assuming all is plumb again.
Still Nothing?
Go back to where dishpointer says and start dropping 1 deg at a time. Make sure you are move back and forth slowly and be patient.
If you are after 97W, and this is a great start for a newbie, use this: 12152 H 20000.
Ok I will try that so ill put in those settings

Nothing?
Still Nothing?
Thx I believe I found what the problem is my neighbors tree is blocking my line of sight

Thx I believe I found what the problem is my neighbors tree is blocking my line of sight
Yes, that would certainly do it. :)
Is it just one tree? If so you can move the dish if that is the bird you are after.
...or you could try another bird to get your feet wet in FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)