New Girl here! Question about Old satellite dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hopefully, once you experts see those pics, you can tell me if it's worth putting any $$ into it!
Well, we're all fanatics.
So, I can tell you the answer now: YES !
Okay, if that wasn't clear, then: HELL YES !

But, in a moment of sanity, I'm sure the experts here can tell you the dreaded: "how much?". - :D

And if the reality check says you don't have the time and patience, and you don't like the programming available, that's fine too.
If DirecTV or Dish Network better suits you, I'm sure Smith, P. will be happy to assist you locally. - :rolleyes:
. . . and cart off that ugly beast.
So, regardless of your decision, we can help. - :up

I'm sorry to tell you, that it looks like I might not be getting the house. :( After several inspections, there were some major issues. Unless the seller lowers the price very dramatically, it won't be my satellite dish to play with. I was not able to get photos of inside the nose-cone either....if anything changes, and I end up with the property, I'll be back!!

In the meantime, I want to thank ALL of you for all of your help and advice. I feel like I let you down, and I'm sorry for that.

You've been FANTASTIC, IMPRESSIVE, and INCREDIBLY SMART!! :D Big kisses to all of you!

We're all just happy to help. :)
So, regardless of your satellite questions (or even off-the-air reception), there's a forum here to assist.

Let us know where you move to, and what you want to see, and we'll be happy to direct you to a solution that's right for you.
... whatever it may be. - :up

Oh, and PM Smith, P. the address of that place if you don't get it.
He might want to "help out" the seller or the next buyer... or himself. ;)

what goes around . . .

Hey, it's like a family, here!
We help out our brothers 'n sisters.

I've gotten PMs from the fellows here, when good dishes have shown up in my area.
Several times, actually! - :up

And I'd have said the same even if I didn't owe Smith, P. big time for a nice box of dishes he's earmarked for me!
Corning Ware? Wedgewood? Correl? Mikasa? DirecWay? - :cool:

No worries Nikky.

The buyer is king (queen) right now. You are the one with leverage and you should be happy with your new home.

When I bought I only had a general idea to put up a big dish . I had no idea what to do or what equipment to get. I'm now on my second big dish, and it has met my expectations.

The whole thing is about getting good information and efficiency of cost. I initially bought an FTA package, most of which I now don't use. I'd be about a thousand dollars ahead if I knew then what I know now. The two big dishes I have were given to me eagerly by the owners, and I was able to find a good metal scrap yard for my metal pipes/masts.

Once you get in to wherever you go to live, then survey your property for feasibility and let the guys here know what your physical setting is.

They will help. I will too. If you keep it cheap, it'll be a good investment.

So is it that you save money because you DON'T have to suscribe to Dish Network or Direct TV? Or do you still have to suscribe to them, but get more channels and/or a better picture with a big satellite dish??:confused:

I don't use cable or pizza dish, I have used my big dish for about 30 years, I tried some of the other systems and always came back to the big dish, I have a c/ku feed 4dtv, a few dvb receivers and a pci satellite card for my pc, no other system can give me the picture quality I get from the big dish, I sub to the movie channels on the 4dtv and the rest of the stuff I watch is free.

I don't know that you really save money when you are in this hobby. I'm about even at this point, two years into it, meaning I've spent about the same amount as I would have spent on a two year subscription. Had I known then what I know now, I'd be probably $600 or so ahead.

That said, I feel way ahead in the aggravation department - I don't have to send a check every month to a provider. Also, if this economy does end up affecting me (so far not really) I can just suspend all satellite equipment expenditures for the duration of it, and still watch TV with my current system.

Right now it's pretty good. There's a movie station, Nat Geo, Fox News, CBS and CW high def. ABC hidef Fox, NBC, CBS Caribbean, Biography, History, A&E, RFD, LCN, RTN, PBS hidef and more. Then sports and other feeds too.

As far as signal quality, I think I am in a pretty good position to assess it. I have a home theater projecting onto a ten foot screen. I get to see any blurriness or other artifacts in detail. A lot of the hidef on the big dish is outstanding and better than the providers have offered. I don't think that' s because the dish is too small. the PBS hidef stations on Galaxy @125 west are in 1080i and are top quality. I think it's that the providers are, I think, wanting to cram too much into their signals and are making compromises.

I don't suscribe to those you mentioned. I like my true FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)