new MIO odd video issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cham

VE4GLS
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
Received my new MIO yesterday and set it up last night, took a while for the TV to show video but finally it started working. Had to change video settings, took a while had to change the video/HDMI settings in the TV menu to display the screen properly, too much over scan, wizard allowed me to change this in the receiver so I could use the TV in it's default settings. Once the video thing was settled I did a backup onto a USB stick so I have (almost) original setup saved.
Scanned in a few satellites, menu is certainly different, but found everything required rather quickly, and found a few pointers in Brian's post (first time setup). Watched the NASA 4k channel for a while and turned everything off for the night.
This am I can't seem to get the receiver to play on the TV once again. Tried another HDMI monitor and it complains VF out of range; 28.1Hz, range 30-70, so I have no video.
I likely have messed something up when setting the HDMI resolution and now can't display video to fix it.
I don't have the network setting set up yet, so ssh or telnet likely not an option.
Can this system be reset to factory, or force it lo load the backup without video?
I am using the default software/boot the unit came with, think it said version 7
-C.

Do you have a computer monitor you could hook it to? Or have you tried a different HDMI cable? Try different cables first. Do a power plug PULL between them if needs be.

I guess that one of the very FIRST things anybody needs to do on these, is setup NETWORKING and make sure it works. That way you at least have the Webif screens to get stuff back the way it should be. I did networking and also turned OFF HDMI-CEC right out of the gate. I learned my lesson about that with old appliance receivers.

Plug it hard-wired into a router, and it defaults to DHCP. Then OpenIF will work.

Maybe Brian should recommend that right on the receipt, and on his "first time" post.

Last edited:
Menu button - 5x times 'Down' arrow - OK - OK - OK - OK - 1x time Down arrow - Left arrow (various resolutions, might have to try several) - GREEN button to SAVE

The above is for the NA SatDreamGR image.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cham
I hooked it to a computer monitor, that's where I got the 28.1Hz warning from. I have more, will try another one using an HDMI to VGA adapter. What is HDMI-CEC?
Overscan was turned off in the TV. That port works fine with the other receivers; AzBox, A3, microHD, etc. I'll check this again though maybe there is an autoconfigure somewhere, it's a Samsung TV. (The MIO remote can turn it on and off which is cool).

No joy with the key-sequence.
Thinking again network... if the unit defaults to DHCP I'll try and set it up with the router (ethernet). And that works! Gave it an IP address and I can log into the unit now using webIF. Cool!
By the way it's running openPLI release7.0.
I can access the "remote control".

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31
No joy with the key-sequence.
Thinking again network... if the unit defaults to DHCP I'll try and set it up with the router (ethernet). And that works! Gave it an IP address and I can log into the unit now using webIF. Cool!
By the way it's running openPLI release7.1.
I can access the "remote control".

Good deal! Mine is hard-wired also, and YES, it defaults to DHCP.

Reactions: Cham
Have display back now, looks like it was set to 50Hz. Was late last night... Now the test... connect it back to the TV.

Works fine on the TV now too... Great to have that back door! Lucky the ethernet port is set on by default.

Still playing the NASA UHD channel from last night.

Back to the "honey do" list...
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Wait until you see how easy it is to setup TIMERS in WebIF. You can even name them beforehand, which is almost priceless all by itself! I just copy-paste from TitanTv, and it's pretty quick.

Now, all we need is a TitanTv plugin, so we can use the dvr feature to automatically set and populate the dvr timers in our Mio's. Not too likely that could happen, but even without it, I love doing it through WebIF.

Did that right away! Didn't want to re-load a previous error! :) I'll keep a few backups too like I did for the A3 and several others. Good advice!
Don't forget that likely means your BACKUP image is also set to 50Hz. Better make a second one, maybe even a 3rd one. I have 4 so far.

I'd also recommend focusing on this one single image for now, and getting it all setup the way you like it. Then just use it that way for at least a week before doing any playing with other images. Or before adding too many things to the "I wonder if that would work" <anything not satellite> list...

I tried to get mine setup to see the drives hooked to my WDTV Live device, and it can't (so far, I must be missing something). The funny thing is that my WDTV Live AND my pc can see the drive hanging off my Mio, AND access it just fine! I even mapped the MIO drive on my pc with no issues. I can copy files back and forth doing that. It'll even play .TS files from my MicroHD, though it won't piece them together automatically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)