new speed coming ahead :]

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

razorphreak900

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
tampa bay area
long time no post/been busy and such...

so today i got a letter bout new speed increase. sweet.

those with 7 mbps will have 10 mbps for free

and they will also offer up to 40mbps speeds! called lighting or something. not sure how that part works, it just says it will b available.

for 7 to 10mbps speeds, it will b on the 10th of December. not sure on 40mbps.

either way, after being with them since 05 and always a happy customer, i am glad to see they are upping their speed as they should for today's what should b average speeds.

was in ny, average speeds range from 20 to 40 or so mbps, with fios or cable vision...

well i am off for now...just wanted to share for those who did not know.

Tampa bay area info.:rolleyes:

BH Pasco gave me 10 mbps for free over a year ago then with a new 2 year promo which I added the phone I was given 15 mbps. The tech did say not likely I would notice any difference. I didn't. I honestly can say I didn't notice a difference from 7 or to 15. I am also a very pleased customer as saved a huge amount dropping Verizon land line phone. So far all is well.

Most websites load instantly on 7mbit so its likely anyone who is just a web surfer will notice any difference. Those who do a lot of downloading and other heavy use stuff really notice the difference.

I just signed up for BH Pasco for 'triple play' starting in January including 7mbps-I wonder if I will get the 10 automatically or will I have to ask prior to install? I am ALSO canceling my Verizon landline. Paul, Z-Hills

I agree as well, when doing normal everyday browsing 7 Mbps or 15 Mbps there is trully no difference...

when downloading that's where there is a difference, also when sharing with wireless network, another noticeable difference, especially on upload if you have 15 and or especially 20 Mbps with 2 Mbps up. wonder what upload 40 Mbps will offer.

I remember with same exact setup, when i had 7, ran great but had hiccups when 3 pc's were in used at the same time, but with 20 none of that is ever noticeable and is always super fast no matter what including online gaming on ps3-loading of videos and stuff is also an honest difference on sites... either way am happy-still wanted to share for those who make it a big deal haha.

I just signed up for BH Pasco for 'triple play' starting in January including 7mbps-I wonder if I will get the 10 automatically or will I have to ask prior to install? I am ALSO canceling my Verizon landline. Paul, Z-Hills

according to the flyer i got on the mail, you do not need to do anything, it will just happen on the 10th, assuming all of tampa bay area will get this small free upgrade.

according to the flyer i got on the mail, you do not need to do anything, it will just happen on the 10th, assuming all of tampa bay area will get this small free upgrade.

hmm interesting...i have noticed the change already...10 down 1 up. idk why they would say for the 10th if its already done lol...well just giving an update.

But there are multiple BHN and RR sites. Which one to go to? Before your post, had I checked instead of asking, I would have gone to cfl.

However, BHN/rr sites are notoriously wrong, unclear, or behind in posting stuff. You are taking a serious risk if you assume what you see there is the current truth.

Also, I wasn't implying your info was false, just curious as to which locale it applied to. NOW we know it is Tampa.

But there are multiple BHN and RR sites. Which one to go to? Before your post, had I checked instead of asking, I would have gone to cfl.

However, BHN/rr sites are notoriously wrong, unclear, or behind in posting stuff. You are taking a serious risk if you assume what you see there is the current truth.

Also, I wasn't implying your info was false, just curious as to which locale it applied to. NOW we know it is Tampa.

well these sites are for the Tampa bay area, not just tampa-so it includes saint Pete/clear-water/Tampa/hills borough of course and all of the rest of Pinellas county area.

if they were to false advertise then that would b a big issue. but no these sites are as real as your central Florida bright house sites. but to double check as for any "concerns." I called and it is of course the real deal, felt dumb for calling but to make some of the peeps here more comfortable about the info, I did so, so to back up that it exist lol.

idk what cfl offers, I just always put my zip code and i get that info for my area (st pete/kenneth city area)

either way I understand. but just backing up the story/info to new comers.

Road Runner Lightning is available in the Tampa Bay market as I had the service installed this past Monday and am getting the full 40/5 speeds right now. Its wideband DOCSIS 3.0 and they provide a new cable modem that is also a wireless N router made by SMC.

Road Runner Lightning is available in the Tampa Bay market as I had the service installed this past Monday and am getting the full 40/5 speeds right now. Its wideband DOCSIS 3.0 and they provide a new cable modem that is also a wireless N router made by SMC.

I have to ask, since I did not ask the requirements, just wondered if it was available when i called.

how much more is it a month? do you have to have all 3 services? either way *besides what the site says* how much extra is it?

since i do kno it runs on "different" technology i kno a different modem is being used. i do wonder why they dint do the full 50Mbps since "wideband" is capable of up to that. maybe to save some bandwidth/money? lol

gotta pay for them to change out the modem? or will they just come thru and change it out for ya real quick for free if you order the service

any addition info would b great as i would like to change to this service as soon as i can.

thanks in advance...if anything i can call again lol.

I have to ask, since I did not ask the requirements, just wondered if it was available when i called.

how much more is it a month? do you have to have all 3 services? either way *besides what the site says* how much extra is it?

since i do kno it runs on "different" technology i kno a different modem is being used. i do wonder why they dint do the full 50Mbps since "wideband" is capable of up to that. maybe to save some bandwidth/money? lol

gotta pay for them to change out the modem? or will they just come thru and change it out for ya real quick for free if you order the service

any addition info would b great as i would like to change to this service as soon as i can.

thanks in advance...if anything i can call again lol.

You need to have at least a double play last I heard. This means if you just phone "OR" cable along with their internet service your good to go.

What you pay extra depends on your current internet tier.

If you have the 10/1 service (used to be 7/512 a bit ago) which is the base internet tier it will cost an additional 30.00 extra per month.

If you have their 15/2 service today you must pay an "extra" 20.00 per month more for Lightning.

If you have their 20/2 service today you must pay an "extra" 15.00 per month more for Lightning.

Simply put no matter what internet tier you have your going to pay 30 bucks a month extra "Total" above the base internet tier. So if your paying for an extra tier beyond the base internet tier your going to pay the difference between the additional cost of that tier and 30 bucks.

I hope I said it well enough and didn't make it more confusing lol.

All Lightning internet upgrades will require a tech to install everything and it also does require a one time 50.00 install charge paid COD to the tech installing your modem. I've seen very few cases of this fee being waived at all.

Beyond the above I've heard they plan on increasing the downstream speeds from 40Mbps to 50Mbps once they have enough upgrades to allow them to fully test the hardware and software that controls everything since its new DOCSIS 3.0 wideband stuff. This should be a free speed upgrade just for Lightning subscribers.

I hope this information helps you out and yes while expensive for both the service and the install fee being high (should be free IMO) I still have no regrets at all for making the switch. However get that horrid router into bridge mode ASAP if you do anything or plan to do anything that requires any complex router configuration including port forwarding.

You need to have at least a double play last I heard. This means if you just phone "OR" cable along with their internet service your good to go.

What you pay extra depends on your current internet tier.

If you have the 10/1 service (used to be 7/512 a bit ago) which is the base internet tier it will cost an additional 30.00 extra per month.

If you have their 15/2 service today you must pay an "extra" 20.00 per month more for Lightning.

If you have their 20/2 service today you must pay an "extra" 15.00 per month more for Lightning.

Simply put no matter what internet tier you have your going to pay 30 bucks a month extra "Total" above the base internet tier. So if your paying for an extra tier beyond the base internet tier your going to pay the difference between the additional cost of that tier and 30 bucks.

I hope I said it well enough and didn't make it more confusing lol.

All Lightning internet upgrades will require a tech to install everything and it also does require a one time 50.00 install charge paid COD to the tech installing your modem. I've seen very few cases of this fee being waived at all.

Beyond the above I've heard they plan on increasing the downstream speeds from 40Mbps to 50Mbps once they have enough upgrades to allow them to fully test the hardware and software that controls everything since its new DOCSIS 3.0 wideband stuff. This should be a free speed upgrade just for Lightning subscribers.

I hope this information helps you out and yes while expensive for both the service and the install fee being high (should be free IMO) I still have no regrets at all for making the switch. However get that horrid router into bridge mode ASAP if you do anything or plan to do anything that requires any complex router configuration including port forwarding.

Great info thank you. and yes made alot of sense and I personally find it to be quite fair. I mean for a 40 or so Mbps speed. right now yes as mentioned before I am on 10 down and 1 up. but I will b upgrading to the 40 soon *i was to 20 if they dint have the 40, and yes i have had 20 down 2 up before.

I will stick to my wireless n router no matter what, I will just turn off all "router" features and just make it run as a regular modem.

we have internet and phone, so i believe all they would have to do is change the modem, thought 50 bucks to do just that i will admit that is a little high, unless they need to change something at the pole then once again, fair one time price, also helps them *get the difference* in pay.

thanks again bro :]

Great info thank you. and yes made alot of sense and I personally find it to be quite fair. I mean for a 40 or so Mbps speed. right now yes as mentioned before I am on 10 down and 1 up. but I will b upgrading to the 40 soon *i was to 20 if they dint have the 40, and yes i have had 20 down 2 up before.

I will stick to my wireless n router no matter what, I will just turn off all "router" features and just make it run as a regular modem.

we have internet and phone, so i believe all they would have to do is change the modem, thought 50 bucks to do just that i will admit that is a little high, unless they need to change something at the pole then once again, fair one time price, also helps them *get the difference* in pay.

thanks again bro :]

If you have internet and phone today with one single modem providing both your internet and phone service take note that you will now have two modems.

Your existing modem used now for your 10/1 internet and phone service will be switched to just phone service only. BHN will install a second modem (SMC modem) which "only" works with your internet service. So if you have BHN phone service and Road Runner Lightning service you have no way at all to avoid needing "two" modems....one for voice and another for internet. Just wanted to make that clear just in case because the SMC modem "doesn't" support voice services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)