New to me Edision OS MIO 4K Linux Combo Box

Fizbi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Wild and Windy Casper, WY
Okay. It has arrived from Ti. Just pulled it from the box and plugged it in.

My warped Ku band dish is locked onto 91W G17. I have muddled through the alien menu and did a blind scan.
I picked up some stuff but the only thing coming in at the moment is a girls basketball game. A wild feed I think. Don't see any of the other feeds I normally see. So, I know the box is alive. Game just ended.

The OTA antenna plug doesn't mate with anything I have, so I can't test that yet.

Anyway, looks like I have some homework to do.

Okay. It has arrived from Ti. Just pulled it from the box and plugged it in.

My warped Ku band dish is locked onto 91W G17. I have muddled through the alien menu and did a blind scan.
I picked up some stuff but the only thing coming in at the moment is a girls basketball game. A wild feed I think. Don't see any of the other feeds I normally see. So, I know the box is alive. Game just ended.

The OTA antenna plug doesn't mate with anything I have, so I can't test that yet.

Anyway, looks like I have some homework to do.

You won't be able to tune OTA without a USB adapter- the built in tuner is DVB-C which is only good overseas.

Reactions: raydio
The note from Brian says OS SatDreamGR mod by North American Project for new Enigma2 users.
I have a Ku universal LNB 9750-10600. Not running the motor until I learn more about how to configure the box.

Reactions: raydio
For now, a wild feed will do until I learn more about the settings. The old box would pickup the four news feeds. I believe the new box sees them, but something is a tad off.

Menu button, Setup, Service Searching, Tuner configuration, Tuner A: Avalink

Configuration mode: Advanced
Satellite: 91
LNB: LNB1
Type of lnb/device: right-arrow to Universal LNB
Tone mode: ON
Leave all other settings alone for now

Click GREEN save button. Exit, Exit, "Satellite Blind Scan", set anything you might need to in there, then hit Green button to scan.

As Primestar points out, make sure the LNB is configured to match your Universal LNB LO.

Also, display the service (Channel) list then press the remote control Green Button so the list displays the channels for 91w then press OK button. Maybe the service list is currently set to only display the channels logged from a single transponder, provider or Favorites list?

Reactions: primestar31
Check the default Scan Frequencies in "Blindscan". I'm not using a universal lnb, but you might have to adjust the starting frequency. I know on c-band, it defaults to 3400 - 4200 (wideband), when most people over here only use 3700 - 4200.

If it's changeable, try 11700 - 12200, or see what's there. Then scan again.

Last edited:
Instructions for
Edision OS mio 4K - OpenATV 6.2 First-time User Guide
seem to be incorrect or out of date.

Questions I have are:
Can a USB stick be used as a HDD?
If not, then will the HDD be reformatted during initialization?

Quoting the instructions for initializing the HDD are so:

Initialize and Mount HDD
  1. Connect a NTFS HDD to USB 1 port on rear of OS mio 4K // Okay

2. Press the RCU Menu button // Okay

3. Select Setup then press OK // Okay

4. Select System then press OK // Okay

5. Select Storage Devices then press OK // NOT OKAY <<< I don't see this on my screen!

6. Select Initialization then press OK

7. Select HDD then press OK

8. Press the Red Button to Initialize

9. Prompt “Do you want to initialize?” will display, Select Yes then press OK

10. Once the HDD Initialization is complete the display will return to the OpenATV 6.2 screen.

Create Edision OS mio 4K OpenATV 6.2 Back-up
  1. Press the Menu button

2. Select Setup then press OK

3. Select Software Manager then press OK // <<< Don't see this on my screen either!

4. Select Backup Image then press OK

5. Press the Red button to initiate the backup files on the HDD

6. When completed, the screen will display “Execution Finished!!”. Press Exit three times to return to the Setup Menu screen.
The HDD will now have the necessary files to recover and restore the OS mio 4K back to the shipped factory settings. Store this back-up image in a secure location as you may need it to recover or restore your OS mio 4k to the original factory OS.

So, before I do anything else, I would like to proceed with extreme caution. Maybe Brian can help here.

Thanks.

Did that. Tried the USB stick. Did not recognize it until I initialized it. After initialization, it recognizes the stick, but then wants a file stored on the stick called "BACKUPSTICK". I tried to save a file by that name on the USB stick, but permissions are denied. I have no root access to the stick. I tried the HDD, but it fails. I have data on the HDD that I cannot lose, so will have to try something else.

Now it's working with the USB stick. I elevated access to root on my PC and my computer root password let me in.
I put the stick back into the box and it is now creating the image backup.

Version git45
execution finished in 2.54 minutes

contents:
imageversion
kernel1.bin
rootfs.tar.bz2

Looks like I'm good to go.

I picked up some stuff but the only thing coming in at the moment is a girls basketball game. A wild feed I think. Don't see any of the other feeds I normally see....
Even the slightest amount of dish warp can dramatically reduce KU reception. I have a warped 120 cm KU dish. I tried to fix it and its better, but still up to 1 cm off in some places. I think at this point it would better serve me as a snow saucer for two!

Reactions: raydio and Fizbi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts