New To Satellite's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edbama2

Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
Having just moved from a major city well into the country, I have had to leave cable and go to satellite. I stumbled onto this FTA because of this. I am currently with Direct TV and Direcway Pro 7000. I only have about 2 local channels that are almost clear and wanted to get some more. I have looked at the Lyngsat channels. I am an electrical mechanic by trade and want to start. I have been reading all the threads since I joined. Some seems foreign to me. Where would be the place to learn the terminology? Does it come with buying the system? What is the best and easiest system to setup for a beginner? Thank You in advance, Ed

Hi, Ed...and welcome to this forum :wave

I myself am a newbie here and not yet a contributor, but I still think I can tell you "welcome".

I've had my FTA system for only a few weeks, and I'm not familiar with any equipment other than my own. Thus, others here can give you better advice than I can on which equipment to buy. All I can tell you is that I'm happy with my Coolsat 5000 receiver and my sg2100 motor.

Not everybody would be happy with FTA TV. I dare say most people would not particularly like it. Many of the channels are international broadcasts whose audio is a language other than English. There's a lot of "televangelist" broadcasts. If you like those, then you'd definitely be in luck.

To tell you the truth, I enjoyed installing my system more than I am enjoying watching it. Still, I have no regrets. There's quite a few programs that the average person would like.

If you like to explore, and just see what's out there, then you'll probably like FTA. Regarding networks, currently you can get Fox via FTA (a Texas Fox affilliate). You can also get PBS (a Montana affilliate).

As you've probably read, if you get a non-motorized system, then most people think G10 is the best satellite to point to.

By the way, I see you have a Direcway 7000 system. I do too. I'm happy with mine. (I live in the sticks, and DSL and Cable will never come here.)

I use to have charter cable which was excellent. When I moved to southern alabama I stayed on dial up for over a year and could not stand it any more. Sprung for the Sat and am feeling like I am not as isolated now. I love to tinker with things from electronics to small engine and auto repair. This FTA does interest me if nothing more than to broaden my knowledge. The sats that state scrambled video with good audio, is this the case? I would have to go in and see if enough channels with good video would be worth it. The family watches TV not me. The only reason I have that is for the weather channel. I think it would be worth it just to get FOX and PBS. Thank you for the welcome. Ed

if you're looking to get a few more networks, then FTA is probably for you :)

Galaxy 10 at 123 degrees west has a few netwroks (UPN, WB, FOX, ABC, Univison). PBS is on AMC3 (87 degrees west) and there are 3 of them (west, east and one from Montana)

I like it for the extra nets but also the weird stuff. News feeds, sports feeds, etc. Its funny to see news people getting ready for their shoot, messing their lines up beforehand, etc.

Iceberg, I have read through your whole ordeal with the C band. I have been debating going with that. There are alot of unused sat. dishes around here and I do have the room with over an acre of land. Do they make motorized units for these dishes? I see it with the Fortec set up. I used to be into CB's but this eems like a whole new ball game for me. Please forgive my ignorance.

yep. C-band dishes (the larger ones) use actuators to move the dish. Check out the C-Band area for info on those.

If you have the room, C-band may be the way to go. You can set it up for both C & KU Band and see all that is out there :)

Welcome Ed, I've been setup for a little over a month and I am happy with FTA, if as you say you only have 2 channels in the clear, this would definitely be an upgrade and a very frugal way to obtain many networks in the clear (ITC).

G10 satellite located at 123 W. is an excellent sat to be aimed at with choices like FOX, WB,UPN, and ABC affiliates from around the U.S.

You will definitely feel satisfied about a do it yourself FTA setup, a little overwhelming at first, but their are many people here that will help you with advice for setting up.

Theres quite a bit of radio stations which you might like also, as for the kids and family unless they have been spoiled with cable,dish, or a dvr, which they'll get over it ,I'm willing to bet they will learn the receiver pretty quick and find some pretty neat channels they will enjoy, I remember having a BUD Big Ugly Dish, 8.5 ft c-band at 15 to play with and I kept myself amused at any hour of the day.

Good Luck on your setup.

Ok thank you, that gives me the initial incentive to go knock on peoples doors and see if they want me to remove their old dishes. Then I can start debating the reciever. Even though I have not put up either of the dishes at my house now, I believe I can do it my self. Have read all the recent articles on plumb. I usually work nights so I am not on during day time hours. Today was my first opportunity to get on here to start my new venture. Thank You, Ed

jayelem said:
Welcome Ed, I've been setup for a little over a month and I am happy with FTA, if as you say you only have 2 channels in the clear, this would definitely be an upgrade and a very frugal way to obtain many networks in the clear (ITC).

G10 satellite located at 123 W. is an excellent sat to be aimed at with choices like FOX, WB,UPN, and ABC affiliates from around the U.S.

You will definitely feel satisfied about a do it yourself FTA setup, a little overwhelming at first, but their are many people here that will help you with advice for setting up.

Theres quite a bit of radio stations which you might like also, as for the kids and family unless they have been spoiled with cable,dish, or a dvr, which they'll get over it ,I'm willing to bet they will learn the receiver pretty quick and find some pretty neat channels they will enjoy, I remember having a BUD Big Ugly Dish, 8.5 ft c-band at 15 to play with and I kept myself amused at any hour of the day.

Good Luck on your setup.

I will teach the step kids all they want to learn when I know what I am talking about. Right now I am the computer tech in the house and have to fight to stay ahead of the kids knowledge wise. I am called in by other family members to clean/fix computers and see what sights have been visited. I guess it is just the mechanical nature of myself that intrigues me here. Looking foward to getting started. Tax return should be here soon, so i better get busy on a dish. Thank You, Ed

Welcome Ed, I'd like to point out that some C-band dishes were at one time made with H-H polar mounts. They are few and far between. Most were made with standard polar mounts run with actuators (motors). The problem with these type mounts, is you have to set them up on either a western arc or an eastern arc. Meaning, you will be able to cover the sky from midday to sundown (true south to west coast) or morning to midday (east coast to true south). There being plenty of unused BUD dishes in your area. You might consider getting 2 dishes, to be able to cover the entire arc. Unless you are fortunate enough to find an H-H mount, which would cover the entire arc.

Al

Welcome Ed, I have had C-Band (BUD) for years, kinda got out of it for a bit, but have been getting back into it as well as FTA. Keep checking this forum as well as the C-Band as a lot of folks have both and can help with both... Having both combined gives you a lot more options.

voomvoom said:
Welcome Ed, I'd like to point out that some C-band dishes were at one time made with H-H polar mounts. They are few and far between. Most were made with standard polar mounts run with actuators (motors). The problem with these type mounts, is you have to set them up on either a western arc or an eastern arc. Meaning, you will be able to cover the sky from midday to sundown (true south to west coast) or morning to midday (east coast to true south). There being plenty of unused BUD dishes in your area. You might consider getting 2 dishes, to be able to cover the entire arc. Unless you are fortunate enough to find an H-H mount, which would cover the entire arc.

Al
After I talk to some people locally I should have a better idea of what type of systems are around here. It sounds like I hope I find an H-H system. But, 2 dishes is not out of the question. My friends at work told me I'm going to get kicked out of the area if I bring to much technology to the area. Thank You, Ed

dfergie said:
Welcome Ed, I have had C-Band (BUD) for years, kinda got out of it for a bit, but have been getting back into it as well as FTA. Keep checking this forum as well as the C-Band as a lot of folks have both and can help with both... Having both combined gives you a lot more options.
Yes, I must agree with you from what I have read so far. I just did not want to half step on what I want to get set up for. I have this problem of looking for the best of both worlds. And I have beentrying to do the research first. Thank You, Ed

voomvoom said:

Al
Are you absolutely sure of this Al?

I have done two polar mounts now run by an actuator and can track my whole visible arc (148W - 45W) any time of day or night. With my little dish it would go lower than 45W but I'd be looking into the side of a neighbor's house.

With my bigger dish I set it REAL low to the ground. It will easily track west of 148w if there was anything out there I cared about and stops a bit past 72W on the East end (just before the dish touches the ground).

East or West setting for me was just which way you could go lower on the arc due to the geometry of the actuator. It's all pretty simple really.

More on topic - If was in the OP's situation I wouldn't think twice about a 4DTV setup with a 10' or bigger dish and a C/Ku feedhorn. A motorized Ku dish will be much cheaper but if you want more mainstream stuff, as well as a slew of other English lanugage stuff in the clear, 4DTV is geat.

Ed, with a BUD and a FTA receiver, you could get they Carribean Islands network feeds (CBS, NBC, ABC and UPN) and the Caspery, WY NBC affilliate. And lots of other stuff, of course.

My take on BUD actuators is a little different from Voomvoom's. Years ago, I bought a heavy duty Thompson Saginaw actuator, and I modified the attachment points on my BUD, greatly increasing its range of travel. It's got 165 degrees of travel. That's more than you need. Actually, it's my opinion that an unmodified mount will allow you to point to the majority of the satellites you might want to view.

You'll have to have a receiver to control the BUD's postion. Most people get an old analog receiver for that purpose. But I think I remember reading that there is a FTA receiver that has a BUD-type dish positioner built into it. I'm not sure about that, though. Maybe somebody else will speak up who knows more about that.

Also, Ed...since you've got the space and you don't have to worry about your neighbors.....if I were you, I'd get a 10 foot BUD, if I could find a good one. The ten footers are able to get some more channels than the smaller ones.

Shawn95GT said:
Are you absolutely sure of this Al?
Well, I can't speak for others, I guess. So, no I'm not sure for everybody. But, what I have experienced with my 10' fiberglass BUD, is when it reaches just past the mid-point it flips over and the actuator will not bring it back. It's a real pain (work) to get it back over, then I have to reprogram the sat positions. Once it even bent the actuator arm too bad to straighten out. With my 10' mesh Bud, I can go further, maybe even as far as you, but when I travel to to other side of the arc, I wind up having to reprogram the sat positions. To me it's not worth it, so I now use one for the eastern arc and the other for the western arc. Maybe if I had a stronger actuator? I don't believe they make one strong enough to pull a fiberglass BUD back from the far side.

Al

Al,

I see what you are saying. My Von Weise doesn't have any problem pulling the dish back over from where I set the West Limit. This being said, I 'can' over exend the arm West which would cause what you describe where the arm will bind and possibly bend. I think this is what most people mean when they describe 'flopping' the dish. Luckily even 148w is obtainable before I hit that point.

I can see where that'd be a problem if you need to get low on the horizon for the extension side of your actuator.

I can see from 53w to 137w with my 10' BUD on a polar mount, located here at longitude 72 degrees. I might be able to see further east, but there are trees in the way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.