(Newbie) Discrepancy Between Transponder Actual & Published Freqs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

StarGazer1951

Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Kansas City
First of all, thanks to all of you who have helped me get this far.
I purchased an Open Box S9 and Sat Hawk GBOX V3000 as per your recommendations. Aimed the dish at what I thought was my southern satellite (Galaxy 3-C), maximizing signal strength on the spectrum analyzer. Went inside and followed the instructions as best I could (terribly written manual) for the Open Box and...WOW...this system actually works! The good news: the pictures and sound were absolutely crystal clear. I can actually receive and decode satellite signals.

The bad news. I have EWTN tuned in from Galaxy 17C. So I'm evidently about six degrees off on my aim. Still I am happy, encouraged and was expecting some tweaking to be necessary.

My present problem deals with scanning for additional channels. Let me use one as an example.
On transponder-11, Freq=3920, Pol = H, an unidentified number (26000), VPID=1560, APID=1520, PCR=1650 I am supposed to receive EWTN Europe Int. When I tune to that transponder, the information comes up as follows:
Transponder-51, Freq=10979, Pol = H, an unidentified number (25997), VPID=810, A=800, P=810, SID=8. EWTN Europe English. (BTW, the signal intensity is 86% and signal quality is 51%.)

I also see that I should be able to pick up CW Central, East and West feeds on 3720 H 26700. I think I have had the machine scan all of the transponders (single satellite scan), but can only pick up EWTN.

I conclude with three questions:
1. Any ideas as to why there is a discrepancy between the published and actual data?
2. I have researched and understand all of the acronyms, but do not understand the significance of that unidentified number (e.g.: 26000)
3. Any ideas as to why the machine might not be picking up the CW feeds? (I understand about spot beams, but figured I should be able to pick up CW-Central since I am in the Kansas City area.)

BTW, I am using a 2.4 meter mesh dish.

Thank you.

John

1. Any ideas as to why there is a discrepancy between the published and actual data?
There is no "official" information site or list, as Transponder Spec's change from time to time.

2. I have researched and understand all of the acronyms, but do not understand the significance of that unidentified number (e.g.: 26000)
There are 3 main parts to a Signal
Frequency: 3920 (4 Digits is C Band, a 5 digit Freq is Ku Band: 12120)
Polarity: Horizontal or Veritcal for "Linear" signals
Scan Rate: Speed at which the data is traveling

On transponder-11, Freq=3920 ....... the information comes up as follows: Transponder-51, Freq=10979,
You have the wrong LNB Freq entered into the receiver. Go the the Antenna Setup Menu, and set LNB Freq to 5150 for C Band.

For Sat Galaxy 3 C, used this transponder....
Freq: 3760
Pol: Horz
SR: 30000

Drive the Dish to what looks to be it's Highest Point, loosen the Mount Bolts and slowly turn mount on Post to the West until signal locks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.