Newbie needs help....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Zero quality is due to two issues. Yes, the dish is undersized, but primarily because the LNBF is for a DBS satellite system like Bell, Dish or DirecTV. You need a larger dish to collect more signal from the weaker FSS satellites and a LNBF that tunes lower frequencies and linear polarity.
Thanks.
Sorry for the silly question: what is linear polarity?

Thanks.
Sorry for the silly question: what is linear polarity?

Satellite signals are transmitted primarily in two polarities.

Circular: The signal is transmitted by the satellite and received by the LNBF with a corkscrew polarity to either the left or right.

Linear: the Satellite signal is transmitted by the satellite and received by the LNBF with a linear polarity of either vertical or horizontal.

A circular polarity LNBF is capable of receiving linear signals and visa versa, but there will be loss of approximately 1/2 of the signal strength because of the mismatch between the signal polarity type..

Thanks for the reply.

I also tried my neighbour/friend's dishes (subscribe to Ariza and Bell) and connect the coax to my Viewsat receiver. This must be something silly, right? And yes there was no signal, nothing. I guess I must be too dummy about this kind of thing :)

If your friend's dish is for Bell, it has the wrong type of LNBF to receive FTA signals. Bell uses higher frequencies and circular polarity signals. Not compatible with FTA.

(Review post #19)

oleleho said:
Do you still have it? Can you ship it to Toronto (Richmond Hill) Canada?
I have now with me small dish (17") and I tried to find channels but without success. The Q(uality) is always zero. I think it's because of the small dish, isn't it?

Yes I still have it pm the zip code and I will get you a shipping quote are you looking for a motor also for the dish as I have one for sell also

Yes I still have it pm the zip code and I will get you a shipping quote are you looking for a motor also for the dish as I have one for sell also

OK, it's L4B 4S6. How much is the motor (motorized LNB?)? I'll compare all these costs with my plan B, which is buying 1.2m dish from local store, following a suggestion from cyberham.

Hi,I just read another thread on "what channels can be obtained with 18" dish. Iceberg initially replied with some channels before they were eventually unlisted.

As it's closed thread I can't ask further so that I tried it here: how would the small dish like I have can capture the channels while here I was told that this small dish is for dbv system with circular lnb, which is supposed to tune high frequency channels transmitted by providers like bell or Dish etc. Did Iceberg meant that for this small dish we could tune few channels provided the lnb is selected for the circular polarity, not the linear one. Please shed light on this issue. Thanks.

OK, it's L4B 4S6. How much is the motor (motorized LNB?)? I'll compare all these costs with my plan B, which is buying 1.2m dish from local store, following a suggestion from cyberham.

it will be cheaper to get the 1.2m then for me to ship the dish the motor is 45 plus shipping

As it's closed thread I can't ask further so that I tried it here: how would the small dish like I have can capture the channels while here I was told that this small dish is for dbv system with circular lnb, which is supposed to tune high frequency channels transmitted by providers like bell or Dish etc. Did Iceberg meant that for this small dish we could tune few channels provided the lnb is selected for the circular polarity, not the linear one. Please shed light on this issue. Thanks.

Yes Ice was talking about channels you could get with a circular LNBF. If you notice though there is not really anything left in that list. So you will just be wasting your time.

Ok, any help with the Openbox S9. Got everything in place I feel like ya'll laughin at me. lol My breakdown is as follows: Signal Intensity: 45% Signal Quality 5%. 36" disc, DG 380 1.2 motor and a WS Int ESX521FE: LNBF. Purchased from Galaxy Markt. After hooking everything up nothing. Checked: LNB Freq, Transponder. Saw online a lot of people are having this problem and a site called Openbox.us, there support requires purchase from them. Elsewhere on line anyone posting their upgraded firmware seems to have been shut down. Any suggestons/support welcome to get whats needed to make this work if possible?
We all started out like that and we had to get the info from somewhere and we had to learn.
There is no shame to ask questions.

Since you stated in your headline that you are a newbie, I would not mount the motor yet until you gain more experience how to aim the dish. Also run a single coax cable from LNBF to the receiver for now( until you get more experience) and that would make things a whole lot easier. Start simple until you get more comfortable and then move on to the next step for expanding your system.
Here is a setup for newbies.
Mount your LNBF on the support arm.
Mount your pole and make sure that the pole is 100% perfect level.
Mount your dish on the pole.
Run coax from LNBF straight to the receiver.
Set the LNBF frequency at the setup page to 10750. Diseq 1 and 1.1 disabled. 22k off. Motor type off.
Go to dishpointer.com, type your adress in and the satellite yuo are trying to get.
Dishpointer comes with google maps and will draw a line which way to point the dish. It will also give you all the info on direction, elevation of the dish and skew of the LNBF.

If you have to adjust the dish, adjust it in very very little increments because just an 1/4 to 1/2 degree off can make you or not make you to receive any viewable signal.
For a newbie I would advise to get a cheap $10-$20 signal finder that would make it easier to find and aim at the signals on ku. This meter would mount between LNBF and receiver.

If you find a strong signal go to the setup page go to any ku satellites and do a ''single satellite scan'', but do a blind scan.
After the scan click on yes.
A ''blind scan'' will scan any TV signal that a given satellite broadcast if the signal is strong enough and if your receiver can handle this kind of format.
Take a note of some of the channels , write down some of the transponder numpers with channel names .
Go to lyngsat.com and compare the transponder number and channel names with the satellite listing. This will tell you what satellite you just scanned in.
If you did not hit the right satellite you want, move your dish 2 degrees to go to the next satellite. Note...you may have to readjust your elevation and skew again very slightly. And recheck with lyngsat again.

check Kijiji first. lots of good used satellite dishes available in GTA. an oval Starchoice/Shaw 60e or larger can be used to get FTA as well(the lnb is linear). They are a good, cheap(but well-built made by channel master) starter dish .they can be picked up for free-$20 if you find somebody who no longer wants to subscribe

Last edited:
check Kijiji first. lots of good used satellite dishes available in GTA. an oval Starchoice/Shaw 60e or larger can be used to get FTA as well(the lnb is linear). They are a good, cheap(but well-built made by channel master) starter dish .they can be picked up for free-$20 if you find somebody who no longer wants to subscribe
Thanks for the suggestion. In fact I've done that, yes I found some. However, when know that with bigger diameter (like 1.2m) it'll be better I was thinking to buy a new one. None of them was in Kijiji. What do you think?

Also I've another question here. What type of LNB is good for me? I found for sales price:
1. $20: This LNBF is used for the C-band digital/analog satellite signal. The LNB is designed for signal reception in C-Band frequency range between 3.4 and 4.2 GHz. High gain, high stability, digital ready, C-band LNBF with low 13 degree noise figure. DMS Model: BSC421
2. $20:
Conical Scalar Ring with mounting bracket made for offset dishes. Great for getting those C-band signals you always wanted without exceeding the 1 meter or smaller dish rule. The 65mm LNBF Holder holds the BSC-621-2D, BSC-621-2, BSC-621 and most LNBFs on the market.

Conical scalar ring for offset satellite dish antennas
Recommended to use 100 to 120cm offset dish or other offset dishes.
We don't guarantee performance on this item as it is an experimental product
3. $35:
Model: BSC621-2D Dedicated C/Ku LNBF
The best possible C/Ku reception from this high gain, high stability and low noise C/Ku LNBF. Dedicated C and dedicated universal Ku. No internal switching allows for better stability, better gain and lower noise temperature. Using this, you can rub two coaxial lines or use an external 2x1 DiSEqc switch and run only one coaxial line to the receiver. This unique LNBF provides great performance on smaller dishes as well as large dishes.

[h=2]Features:[/h]- Full C and Ku-bands coverage
- Works for analog and digital reception
- Excellent noise figure
- Low phase noise
- Qualified for harsh environment
- 13/18 volt polarity switching
4. $40:
C/Ku reception from this high gain, high stability, low noise C/Ku LNBF. Uses 22KHz switching. This LNBF can be used on 4DTV by running two coaxes from the receiver to the LNBF. Do not use the jumper cable when using with 4DTV.

Note: This LNBF requires a good working knowledge of how satellite signals are delivered. You should be familiar with polarity, focal distance and focal point of both C and Ku signals from your dish. DMS Model: BSC621
5. $30: This Twin LNBF is used for the C-band digital/analog satellite signal for two or more satellite receivers. The LNB is designed for signal reception in C-Band frequency range between 3.4 and 4.2 GHz. High gain, high stability, digital ready, C-band LNBF with low 13 degree noise figure.

DMS Model: BSC422

Basically: should I buy a single or twin LNBF with C signal or/and Ku band? Reading from previous posting I think for newbie like me I shouldn't start with motorized LNBF, confirmed?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

75 cm and 90 cm also do pretty well for Ku-Band FTA. For real C-band (reliable and maximum reception), you'll need a 6 foot dish or better. In my opinion, the mini-BUD project you're hinting at can be fun, but shouldn't be attempted until you feel really comfortable with aiming a dish and tracking the arc on Ku-Band.

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact I've done that, yes I found some. However, when know that with bigger diameter (like 1.2m) it'll be better I was thinking to buy a new one. None of them was in Kijiji. What do you think?

Also I've another question here. What type of LNB is good for me? I found for sales price:....

Basically: should I buy a single or twin LNBF with C signal or/and Ku band? Reading from previous posting I think for newbie like me I shouldn't start with motorized LNBF, confirmed?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Right, I wouldn't start with a motorized setup. But keep it in mind for the near future. I bought my first motor within a month or two after hitting my first satellite on Ku-band :) For now, just use a basic Ku-band only universal or linear LNB (not circular). You can get those very cheap off eBay! Or if you find you want to order a new dish, many times you can get a package deal that includes an LNB.

75 cm and 90 cm also do pretty well for Ku-Band FTA. For real C-band (reliable and maximum reception), you'll need a 6 foot dish or better. In my opinion, the mini-BUD project you're hinting at can be fun, but shouldn't be attempted until you feel really comfortable with aiming a dish and tracking the arc on Ku-Band.

Right, I wouldn't start with a motorized setup. But keep it in mind for the near future. I bought my first motor within a month or two after hitting my first satellite on Ku-band :) For now, just use a basic Ku-band only universal or linear LNB (not circular). You can get those very cheap off eBay! Or if you find you want to order a new dish, many times you can get a package deal that includes an LNB.

I was just thinking maybe it's good or more cost effective if I just buy the best dish once. In this case the biggest, which I thought to be 1.2 m (4 ft). But now 1.2 turned out to be not the biggest as 6 ft will be much better.

Maybe I asked too much and have yet to decide so that now I'm a bit uncertain.

I guess let me back checking those in Kijiji and spend money as low as possible :). Once I'm more comfortable I can then do another project or experiment with bigger dish and/or different type of LNBF.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Galaxy 19 (97W) Channel Guide

Replacement for Zinwell ZKF-F21N LNB for FTA Gallaxy 19 Reception

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts