Newbie needs help....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And a blindscan gets nothing??????? hmmmmm
How about some pictures?? ** dish & lnbf - Label on LNBF - elevation scale - receiver setup screen with S & Q meters, LNB setup screen. maybe someone will see something.
Before connecting/disconnecting LNBF coax - Turn POWER OFF FIRST- Unplug?
Just to satisfy curiosity - disconnect the LNB coax from receiver Turn back on and note the SIGNAL LEVEL meter. Should be very LOW. Connect to LNBF with a single piece of RG6 coax.
Is the Signal Level somewhat higher??
**800x600 is plenty 'big' Not going to print so 4800x3600 is just a waste of BW. irfanview can resize if camera is not capable.
Yeah, like northgeorgia asks, where it's pointed, like from behind the dish

Last edited:
IMG01178-20121113-1259.jpgIMG01180-20121113-1300.jpgIMG01182-20121113-1302.jpgIMG01179-20121113-1259.jpgIMG01184-20121113-1303.jpgIMG01185-20121113-1304.jpg

IF your LO is off .... or IF you are near the Wrong Bird, and you are showing signal (I believe with a squealer) then Blind Scan. You will not show quality on the STB unless you do have an active transponder (usually) as the first on the list. If you are close and can pull in one transponder then peaking that transponder and rescanning will give enough information to let us help you get spot on.

IF your LO is off .... or IF you are near the Wrong Bird, and you are showing signal (I believe with a squealer) then Blind Scan. You will not show quality on the STB unless you do have an active transponder (usually) as the first on the list. If you are close and can pull in one transponder then peaking that transponder and rescanning will give enough information to let us help you get spot on.
What is LO?

LO is local oscillator. I think I remember your LNBF being a normal linear so that is the 10750 as I remember.... It took me 15 minutes to type my last reply and there were 3 replies made while I was typing mine!

At this point, do not worry about that now. when the squeal is the loudest, turn off stb power (not standby) and remove squealer and then blindscan. Many times the squealer will block the signal to the box...

Could you Aim the camera along the bottom edge of the LNBF arm so it looks like a single pointer from one end to the other? From here is appears the dish may be way low and pointing into the railing or the buildings. Probably is my eyes... but it looks way lower than mine and you are not that much further north than I am.

Along with "Tp Freq: 11836", Polarity and SR have to be programmed. I.E. freq= 11836, Polarity = Vertical, SR = 20765. This would be the 'Transponder Programming'.

Could you Aim the camera along the bottom edge of the LNBF arm so it looks like a single pointer from one end to the other? From here is appears the dish may be way low and pointing into the railing or the buildings. Probably is my eyes... but it looks way lower than mine and you are not that much further north than I am.
Not sure I really got what you meant, but I took some more photos, including the LNBF scale and info.
IMG01189-20121113-1350.jpgIMG01194-20121113-1351.jpgIMG01195-20121113-1352.jpgIMG01197-20121113-1354.jpg

I wonder if your outboard satellite meter is showing those data TP's on 99W??? Might try moving the dish slightly to the east or enter their transponder info and see if there's 'lock' and a Quality reading on one or more. http://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-16.html (not at my set up to check their levels, but grasping at possibilities.
Forget it, they're not there, just checked.
ANIHeadscratch.gif

Last edited:
Really doubt that a .2db NF LNBF is the answer. I've got 20 some year old LNB's with a ,then, NF of .7db that still work well. Aged they're probably closer to 1.3db.
Another 'tool' to get the azimuth pegged is http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php
Get the azimuth from dishpointer, Get the time that the sun suns azimuth is equal.
Set the dish elevation up high, watch the lnbf's shadow, rotate the dish so the shadow is centered, left - right. on the dish face at that time. Then lower dish until you get the satellite. Fine tune E-W, elevation, and LNBF skew and Focal length.
If that don't work there's got to be a hardware problem.

And along with rvpop, I also thought it seemed that your line of sight might be obscured -- if not by the tall building, then maybe from the railings or the other satellite dish (a bit hard to tell from the photos, but a possibility to consider). Sometimes the dish elevation is also a bit off, so try ever so slightly tilting/pushing the dish upward and see if the signal improves...

is the pole the dish is mounted on level(pinted straight up)? it looks like it's tilted forward a bit which would render your elevation settings inaccurate . Just eyeballing it, it looks like your dish is pointed at the horizon which is way too low for 97w. where are those other dishes on the balcony pointed at? I'm assuming dish network and expresssvu? If so then 97w would point at halfway between the two azimuth-wise

White coax cable....RG 56 ?
I use a .2db LNBF at least that it was advertised for, but thinking that it is a .4db or worse. Some companies may not be very truthful about specs. Besides I played with an 500 dish a while back using the same LNBF and still was able to get a few channels on 97w.

Are you sure that the coax you are using is good? To make sure take the coax off on both ends and look at the ends very careful...look for a bended center core, frayed strains of your shield that could touch the connector and /or center core etc etc.
Best would be to replace it with an known good coax.

Set the dish on a table to raise it enough to get a view over the railing to see if that helps any.
How far is the building away across the street ( your aiming direction ) and how tall is that building.

I see that they are selling those dishes for $20 in TO with modified arm? Modified for what? Maybe cut arm and shipped with bracket for circular lnb's? If this is what you purchased, then you will be 2 to 2 1/2 inches short on your focal point, without using the bracket.

Just a shot in the dark.

Catamount

I see that they are selling those dishes for $20 in TO with modified arm? Modified for what? Maybe cut arm and shipped with bracket for circular lnb's? If this is what you purchased, then you will be 2 to 2 1/2 inches short on your focal point, without using the bracket.

Just a shot in the dark.
Catamount

Aha this is what I wanted to ask you guys. Yes I bought that $20 dish with modified arm. When I asked what does it mean she told me and I saw it myself that it was to short. So rather than returning it all the way to Taiwan they just extended it by themselves.

But the LNB was bought separately and it's the linear one. However, do you think there is still unforeseen effect because of that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts