Newbie needs help....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
But on post #113 he pointed out that he was on 97w 12090. Maybe I had it wrong in thinking that he actually was on 97w 12090.

Just because a TP shows quality reading, this doesn't mean that the dish is aimed at the correct satellite. The OP was using a circular LNB and his screen shot shows a LO setting of 10750. Subtract the wrong LO setting of 10750 from the correct LO setting of 11250 = 500mhz for this circular LNBF. Add 500mhz to 12090 and the locked TP was detecting 12588 ( spot beam TP 28 ) from Dish Network 110w satellite. Confirm this with the fact that 97w does not have 300 scrambled channels.

You are right, we don't want to get the op or other members more confused. "too many cooks..." :D

Last edited:
what would the measurments of the focal point (using the string method) be for this dish? until he can put his lnb at the focal point he'll just be spinning his wheels. (I was in a similar situation as I bought a 1m Winegard Starchoice dish off a guy for 20bucks. The guy broke the original arm so he bodged up a replacement out of tube steel but the focal point was wrong. It was good enough for Starchoice. I couldn't get anything until I saw other dishes on here, realized the fp was wrong, then used the winegard fp diagram and string method to fix my dish)

oleholo: do any channel names scan in? this will help to confirm what satellite your pointed at. google these three webpages "lyngsat package 110w" "lyngsat package 119w" and "lyngsat package 91w" then look for anything familar

what would the measurments of the focal point (using the string method) be for this dish? until he can put his lnb at the focal point he'll just be spinning his wheels. (I was in a similar situation as I bought a 1m Winegard Starchoice dish off a guy for 20bucks. The guy broke the original arm so he bodged up a replacement out of tube steel but the focal point was wrong. It was good enough for Starchoice. I couldn't get anything until I saw other dishes on here, realized the fp was wrong, then used the winegard fp diagram and string method to fix my dish)

oleholo: do any channel names scan in? this will help to confirm what satellite your pointed at. google these three webpages "lyngsat package 110w" "lyngsat package 119w" and "lyngsat package 91w" then look for anything familar

The measurements were given, right, by those red ribbons which showed my LNBF was short by some length. However, as AV has mentioned that the EchoStar's signal was so strong even with short position my receiver could get strong reception hence scanned hundreds scrambled channels.

I don't remember if there were some familiar channels of 97W scanned in. I think AV was right, I was in the illusion of getting Galaxy 97W under the strong influence of EchoStar 110W (I was DUI; Driven crazy Under Influence of 110W :D).

Anyway, after having AV's "ammunition" (geosat generated info) and more confidence that my existing linear LNBF was trash plus a big hope from the strong signal captured by my Bell LNBF, today I just stepped out to Digiwave store and bought a better LNBF.

Couldn't wait any longer for Saturday, I just put on the new linear LNBF (the L type like my Bell type) and checked. Voila! although I believe I should work more on the positions (azimuth, elevation, exact LNBF skew angle, etc) I got some Q signal at 97W with some different TPs. As it's night and short time before I went out, I didn't take any notes. But unlike with the circular LNBF with this one the Q fluctuated from 10 to 50 in one TP, and from 0 to 20 in another TPs. It's hard to get the constant high percentage, like 61 or more as when I used the circular LNBF. BTW, the LNBF position in its arm has to be adjusted as the arm holder didn't really provide the required position.

On Saturday, I'll buy the compass and measure the azimuth correctly (to be honest with you I didn't measure the angle precisely, but approximately), check the elevation and the LNBF skew angle. For now nothing I can do with the LNBF arm. It's butchered but unlike a goat can't be eaten :).

Wish me luck, friends.

The measurements that I provided are not to the center of the LNBF, but rather to the hole in the LNBF arm that mounts the clamp.

Also, looking at the mounting of the LNBF, it looks wrong. The LNBF should be clamped evenly so it is aimed into the lower third of the dish. The clamp should automatically aim the face of the LNBF into the correct position. The photos look like the LNBF is incorrectly aimed into the center or upper third of the reflector.

Well... Any success stories to share?
I was wondering myself and I almost posted the same question yesterday.

Thanks for asking, gentlemen. I'm afraid there's no good news yet other than the three radio stations captured today :). See the photo. IMG01268-20121125-1647.jpg

I bought the compass, ensured the vertical position of the pole, tighten the bolts, and applied the compass reading, dish elevation and LNBF rotation provided by Brian (AVSatellite) from GeoSatFinder. Unfortunately couldn't get any Quality signal.

I'm not sure what latest position I finally ended up with, but I set Galaxy 19 (shown as Intelsat 5) as the target satellite, and those three station were obtained.

I guess I was too tired and slightly frustrated now that I'm not sure what I mentioned above is accurate.

Anyway, my next plan is to call up the store and tell them that two things didn't seem work after so much effort on trial and error (or error and error): the butchered LNBF arm and the non-functional LNBF itself. I'll see if they can exchange the arm and refund me for the LNBF. Otherwise I may have to exchange the whole dish system. I'll see what I can do and get tomorrow.

Yep. that's Anik F2 @ 111W. From dishpointer.com:
Address: Richmond Hill, Canada
Latitude: 43.8828°
Longitude: -79.4403°

Satellite: 111.1W ANIK F2 | WILDBLUE-1
Elevation: 30.3°
Azimuth (true): 221.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 232.3°
LNB Skew [?]: 28.6°

Satellite: 97W GALAXY 19 (G-19)
Elevation: 36.4°
Azimuth (true): 204.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 215.1°
LNB Skew : 17.4°

Looks to be about 16° west and 6° below your target of G19. (& skew difference of ~ 11°)

Well, if it was Anik f2/WILDBLUE how could I still got radio channels while they are not listed as per lyngsat. Also I didn't get scrambled channels provided by shaw direct or Internet provided by WILDBLUE?

I dunno, but I'll tell you something else that's a bit nutty. I think those are TV stations, not radio stations. What happens when you try to "listen" to them?

PS -- Lyngsat doesn't appear to have been updated for that particular satellite in years. Try here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=111+Anik+F2

Well, if it was Anik f2/WILDBLUE how could I still got radio channels while they are not listed as per lyngsat. Also I didn't get scrambled channels provided by shaw direct or Internet provided by WILDBLUE?

Last edited:
Also I didn't get scrambled channels provided by shaw direct --
Shaw Direct is DCII, FTA receiver won't detect it. (DVB-S or DVB-S2)
-- or Internet provided by WILDBLUE?[
Wild Blue frequencies are far to removed from what the FTA receiver/LNBF are tuned to. 11700 to 12750 (FTA)vs. 19700 to 20000+ (WB)

I dunno, but I'll tell you something else that's a bit nutty. I think those are TV stations, not radio stations. What happens when you try to "listen" to them?

PS -- Lyngsat doesn't appear to have been updated for that particular satellite in years. Try here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=111+Anik+F2
Wow, these are exactly what I got!
11770 V 3269
(5/6)
Channel NameVideo PidAudio PidsLanguagePCRProviderEncryptionLast Updated
radio.jpg
Learn 1 259 257Learn 1 11/05/2011
radio.jpg
Learn 2 515 513Learn 1 11/05/2011
radio.jpg
Learn 3 771 769Learn 1 11/05/2011
radio.jpg
Occ_Use_4 1539 1537Learn 1

But indeed they are radio stations, North. What did you mean by "listen". I heard the music sound already.

Well, first of all, congratulations! You found your first FTA satellite! You're definitely at 111W, not 97W :)

Hmmm...interesting. They do seem to be listed on The List as Radio stations. However, I get them as TV stations for the University of Regina distance learning feeds. So you did get music -- right? Now, do all of the stations have the same music except for the Occ-Use one (which sounds like a long beep)?

What kind of receiver are you using again (I looked but couldn't find it in the thread)?

If possible, try to scan them again, but this time as TV stations. If it doesn't work, you can usually enter the Video PID manually in many receivers. Let's do one example: For LIVE 1, the Video PID is 257, the Audio is 259 and the PPID is 257. (The FEC is 5/6)

Let me know the results :)

Last edited:
put some marks on the dish with a magic marker so you can go back to Anik if you have to. in your setup screen change it to Galaxy 19 and set TP Freq to 12028 or 12151. Whatever you dish elevation reads, raise it about 6° and then pan east(left facing the dish from behind) slowly

Those stations are all MPEG4, so if you don't have an MPEG4 receiver they'll probably get logged as radio stations. (I don't know why -- logic would dictate that if it has a video PID, it's video, even if it can't display it, but most if not all receivers log them that way.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts