newbie question?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
Need some advice here I have an old DN superdish SV-1000, plus a SV-360 premier. What is the best satellite that I can recieve with my setup? I am getting around 70% signal strength on some transponders but no signal quality. I know about the at least 30'' round dish to recieve Ku-band. Any advice?

Dan Rose

You probably need a linear LNB. That dish probably has all circular LNBs. DBS (pay tv) uses circular transmissions, FTA primarily uses linear transmissions. So you are quickly going to find out that the dish you have is a poor choice for real FTA action. So cut your losses and save some time and find a good dish for FTA. Site sponsers here have some sweet stuff for decent prices.

The Superdish has a LNB that will work for FTA. The issue is its "stacked" so the horizontal transponders are on different frequencies than what is published

But it will work...little small on the size so it may not get everything out there

Also to go along with that. The two sonicview boxes that I have need to be updated. How do I get them updated with new software so they can receive from Galaxy 19 or any new satellites offering FTA signals. The SV-1000 is from 2006 the SV-360 premier is from 2008.

Dan Rose

check the downloads section. I updated my own channel list for the premier....but be warned...dont brick it like I did...twice
can be a PITA to get it back

The reason why I asked if i needed a an update cause my SV-1000 still has Galaxy 4R 99W, Intelsat AM5 97W, Galaxy 11 91W. On some of the transponders SES-1 I was getting 70% to 90% but no signal quality with the SV-360 premier does length of RG-6 cable matter? The SV-1000 has 100' RG-6 from the dish to the reciever and 35' of RG-6 between the dish and SV-360 reciever?

Dan Rose

A hundred feet is nothing -most of mine are at least 125' and I get great signal strength. Just be sure you have good connectors installed, aim the dish well and you should be set.

you can always rename the satellites via the remote

100 feet honestly is nothing. I've got a run that is 175 from the motor to a receiver...works great

If I wanted to pick up Atlantic bird or anything 7W to 37.5W do I have to change to a different lnb?

Dan Rose

There's lots of stuff on Hispasat at 30w that can be received with a standard LNB. The birds that need a universal LNB really don't have too much stuff beamed to the United States, I don't think.

Last night I worked on dish some more and I got Echostar 19 at 99% signal strength but no quality? I tried switching back and forth between FSS lnb and DBS lnb with no luck.

Dan Rose

i have used a superdish to get 97 , 101, 125, all at different times of course. They are not the best for fta, but i read that the bigger the skew, the better the performance. i had to build my own lnb bracket and i threw that old stock lnb under my loader track.
When the weather goes bad, u will get rain fade.
i would suggest a different dish setup or u may be disappointed.
Quality is everything, signal can be all over, but no quality and no tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts