Newbie to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Make sure you have the latest meter update installed from AI. This will give you the most current and active list of transponders. For the LNBF that you linked to, select Generic KU and 10.6 w/22KHz.

Go to DishPointer.com or use the smartphone DishPointer app to find the LNBF skew angle and the dish Elevation/Azimuth aiming.

Use sathint.com to identify an active transponder for each satellite that you are attempting to locate. Select this transponder from the meter list. The meter will only identify the satellite with an active transponder selected.

Reactions: hank123 and Troch77
Set the frequency display to downlink rather than displaying the IF, so you can easily compare the TP frequency rather than have to convert the IF in the upper right corner of the screen.

You need to turn on the LNB power.

Set the LNB type to H/V dual polarity.

For 97w satellite, I would select 12152 transponder from the TP list for locating the satellite.

Reactions: Troch77
Set the frequency display to downlink rather than displaying the IF, so you can easily compare the TP frequency rather than have to convert the IF in the upper right corner of the screen.

You need to turn on the LNB power.

Set the LNB type to H/V dual polarity.

For 97w satellite, I would select 12152 transponder from the TP list for locating the satellite.
Thanks will re -ajust .
I'm not ready yet to actually hook it up, so I was just trying out some entries.
Yes LNB was off, Because nothing was connected to it LOL.
But it should be up to date software wise.
Atleast enough.
The guy I bought it from updated the meter, in April of this year.

But I'm hoping Next Saturday or Sunday, I have to leave for a benifit about 4 hours away, so we are just going to stay until Monday, Just in time for me to go back to work.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Okay ,today I assembled the dish and set it on the Mount.

Now the LNB and the LNB holder have arrows and degree readings.
My question do those matter?

Also the LNB isn't snug when tighten, is that normal?
Or should I be wrapping some electrical tape around the LNB before putting it in the mount to make it more snug?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow. But I got stuck working again so I don't really have any time now.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Here's a couple quick ones.
8209fef446358373cb5ab5550271f5b2.jpg

8ed7894d5902557e5199c225c9101974.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Now the LNB and the LNB holder have arrows and degree readings.
My question do those matter?
That's to set the skew. A satellite at 180 degrees south would align these marks at '0'. Satellites west of you will rotate the LNBF CCW when facing the dish face. Eastern, CW rotation. Dish pointer will generate it in degrees. Or hefe: Satellite Angle Calculator accessible from TheList
TIP: 1hr (clock face) = 30 degrees.

Also the LNB isn't snug when tighten, is that normal?
Not Normally. What model LNBF, holder? Pictures are worth a thousand. OK, looks snug in the picture

Reactions: Troch77
That's to set the skew. A satellite at 180 degrees south would align these marks at '0'. Satellites west of you will rotate the LNBF CCW when facing the dish face. Eastern, CW rotation. Dish pointer will generate it in degrees. Or hefe: Satellite Angle Calculator accessible from TheList
TIP: 1hr (clock face) = 30 degrees.

Not Normally. What model LNBF, holder? Pictures are worth a thousand. OK, looks snug in the picture
It turns and still moves in and out.
It needs to fit more snug.

Why would the LNB need skew when the dish is round?
Just curious.
Is it the LNB design?

Here are my settings.
9af0e1385905c495dd906504cdfc3a49.jpg

And I'll try and take a Video tomorrow about the LNB looseness.

And definitely more pictures.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Because the signals coming from the FSS satellites are straight.
DSS are circular and DSS LNBF's don't have skew markings.
You don't skew a DSS LNBF.
Dishes are 'lenses' focusing at the 'focal point'.. Just like a round mirror, If it's a reflection of a circle, you see a circle. Straight line, you see a straight line.
I'd just use some Scotch33 tape to snug the LNBF in the holder. If it's just slightly loose.

Because the signals coming from the FSS satellites are straight.
DSS are circular and DSS LNBF's don't have skew markings.
You don't skew a DSS LNBF.
Dishes are 'lenses' focusing at the 'focal point'.. Just like a round mirror, If it's a reflection of a circle, you see a circle. Straight line, you see a straight line.
I'd just use some Scotch33 tape to snug the LNBF in the holder. If it's just slightly loose.
Okay thanks, definitely will take more pics tomorrow. And Start trying for that 97.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Just an Update, I have the Dish setup, and the cable ran, I think I'm pointed at 97w. But I realized that my Superbuddy has 311 software and I probably need the 312 version.
So I don't think it's giving me the right TP.
But based on the db. Reading I think I'm atleast pointed at 97w.

But I have to still drill a hole, and run coax. So still won't be up and running just yet.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Don't think the software version will effect readings, but incorrect TP info will.
Should be able to change an existing TP. 12152 H 20000 is one to look for.
Also make sure the L.O. matches what's on the LNBF.
Your LNBF skew should be, top of LNBF, twisted to the west 20°
Looking at the dish face, CCW if the sat is west of you. CW if it's east.

FaT Air
May you Rest in Peace my friend.
You helped me tremendously with all of your information, you will be missed daily at SatelliteGuys.

I wish I could have gotten some more time with you in the FTA forums ,sorry I didn't get my setup ,up and running before you moved on.

RIP Buddy...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Okay, I have my V7 hooked up, but problem is I only see Satellite location that arent even obtainable in the USA?

Not sure what to do next.
Looks like everything is from China.

But there is nothing on the box to indicate that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts