NFL 2012-13 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the second part of my comment.

Yeah, it's incorrect. Read the rules again. Late hits, and situations where players are determined to be defenseless or otherwise protected will be flagged, but there are still helmet to helmet hits that are not against the rules, which is what Jimbo (and you?) is suggesting.

It's pretty simple stuff... just read the rules. Fairly straightforward.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, it's incorrect. Read the rules again. Late hits, and situations where players are determined to be defenseless or otherwise protected will be flagged, but there are still helmet to helmet hits that are not against the rules, which is what Jimbo (and you?) is suggesting.

It's pretty simple stuff... just read the rules. Fairly straightforward.

My statement was that there are helmet to helmet hits that are against the rules even if the player is not in a defenseless position.

Also how is my statement about the note not correct? The notes are only for the item right above it. There are many examples of that in the rules.

all miami had to do yesterday is get at least two of the 4 dropped int's they had and the fins come out with the win despite playing poorly in pretty much every area.
but no.............morons gave life to the crappy jets again :/

SabresRule said:
So Salsa.... a guy damn near ran for 300 yards on your defense.

Yes he did. He is very good. With all that, that game was there for the taking and Knapp got greedy....and they lost.

Down 3 with 2:45 remaining, 3 timeouts, 2 minute warning and 1st and ten at the 40. Try to get Sebass range or as close as possible. They went for an incomplete 45 yard pass, ran for 2 yards and then an INT.

Terrible play calling by that idiot Knapp....game over.

My statement was that there are helmet to helmet hits that are against the rules even if the player is not in a defenseless position.

Also how is my statement about the note not correct? The notes are only for the item right above it. There are many examples of that in the rules.

Don't worry about it Jag, he's right as usual, till it happens to his team and then it will go the other way.

Players get flagged for H2H even when it's not intentional, ala hitting the pads and sliding up to the helmet, it's subject to individual calls.

Don't worry about it Jag, he's right as usual, till it happens to his team and then it will go the other way.

Players get flagged for H2H even when it's not intentional, ala hitting the pads and sliding up to the helmet, it's subject to individual calls.

Wow, you really never clicked on the PDF did you, because that's right there on the same page.

Quote where I've flip flopped on a rule. You make it sound like I do it all the time, so it will be easy. Every reply to you I have on this forum to you from here on out will mention this until you either do so or admit you're wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The entire rule from the rulebook at NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

Article 7: Players in a Defenseless Posture. It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5) A player on the ground;
(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(g) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter);
(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 8(f) for additional restrictions against a quarterback after a change of possession);
(8) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side, and
(9) A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2).
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; or
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body; or
(3) Illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player​
(1) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and
(2) uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. Note: This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 7 above. Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle or block on an opponent.
Per 7(a)(2) they were right not to flag for the hit on Wallace (where this entire conversation started) because he was now a runner, and no longer qualified as defenseless under the rule above. If he did not try and get up then there might have been a flag, but he clearly was doing so.

It's not like this is some kind of James Harrison-like haymaker with his helmet kind of hit either...

I await your quote Jimbo on where I've flip flopped on a rule because it went against my team. (maybe I'll just put this in my signature and link to your post)

I know Terry Bradshaw is not known as a smart guy, but how does that excuse what he said yesterday??

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Terry Bradshaw is not known as a smart guy, but how does that excuse what he said yesterday??

Haven't seen that yet but just saw this:

"@NFLONFOX: From Terry Bradshaw:"Sorry everyone, my chicken comment yesterday was directed to @JimmyJohnson. The man loves eatin' KFC and never shares.""

Also, Chiefs cut Routt and signed Shaun Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:
So let's see.... Routt...cut. Wimbley 2 sacks and a non-factor.... and TE Kevin Boss has completely disappeared in KC.

Yep...more with less as I originally stated.

Per 7(a)(2) they were right not to flag for the hit on Wallace (where this entire conversation started) because he was now a runner, and no longer qualified as defenseless under the rule above. If he did not try and get up then there might have been a flag, but he clearly was doing so.

You are missing the key point of another section of the rules.

Article 6: Unnecessary Roughness. There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:
(h) using any part of a player's helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/"hairline" parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.

Article 6 (h) does not need to have the player in a defenseless position. it is truly a judgement call on the official's part but there are other rules that prevent the player from using his head to hit an opponent.

Not sure about the hit from Sunday but the point is that you don't need to be defenseless when it comes to using the helmet to hit another player.

"@NFLONFOX: From Terry Bradshaw:"Sorry everyone, my chicken comment yesterday was directed to @JimmyJohnson. The man loves eatin' KFC and never shares.""
I'll have to try that next time I say something inappropriate: No harm meant, that was an inside joke... :eek:

Jaws although they won't admit it got (promoted:rolleyes:) from MNF to some NFL show because he said sheet on the air last year.Bradshaw will be lucky to survive.Cosell got the boot for saying monkey.

meStevo said:

Also, Chiefs cut Routt and signed Shaun Smith.

Jimmy Johnson was on with Dan Lebatard on 790 The Ticket and that was mentioned and confirmed the story.

The entire rule from the rulebook at NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

Article 7: Players in a Defenseless Posture. It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5) A player on the ground;
(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(g) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter);
(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 8(f) for additional restrictions against a quarterback after a change of possession);
(8) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side, and
(9) A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2).
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; or
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body; or
(3) Illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player​
(1) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and
(2) uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. Note: This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 7 above. Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle or block on an opponent.

It's not like this is some kind of James Harrison-like haymaker with his helmet kind of hit either...

I await your quote Jimbo on where I've flip flopped on a rule because it went against my team. (maybe I'll just put this in my signature and link to your post)

I said you WILL, when it applies to YOUR team.

Patriots second half schedule:

Week 10- BUFFALO
Week 11- INDIANAPOLIS
Week 12- @ NY Jets (Thanksgiving Night)
Week 13- @ Miami
Week 14- HOUSTON (Monday night)
Week 15- SAN FRANCISCO (Sunday Night)
Week 16- @ Jacksonville
Week 17- MIAMI

12-4 would be sweet, but I'm realistically hoping for 11-5. Either way, the Pats would need help getting one of the coveted first round byes. One HUGE thing the Pats have going for them in tiebreaker scenarios: two of their three losses are out of conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great One

NFL Award Picks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)