NFL 2022

The value of NFL Sunday Ticket will continue to plummet as the NFL increases non Sunday games. IMO, unless you’re a fan that transplanted to another city, NFL ST is just not worth it- especially with the ever popular NFL Red Zone as an alternative.

Black Friday games for the NFL or any Friday game for the NFL should NEVER happen ...
Fridays is for High School football .

High school football (at least in my area) is over on Thanksgiving Day. The playoffs and Super Bowls are played the following two Saturdays. Besides, College Football has been playing forever on Black Friday

High school football (at least in my area) is over on Thanksgiving Day. The playoffs and Super Bowls are played the following two Saturdays. Besides, College Football has been playing forever on Black Friday
Your right, College HAS been playing on Black Friday ....
College shouldn't play on Fridays at all except for once the High School season is over.
That doesn't mean the NFL should.

NFL shouldn't play on Saturdays till the College season is over either ...

On another note, the College game should play thier Championship game on a Saturday, so most people don't have to work the next day ... been saying this for 25 years now.

The NFL has decided they have to have thier playoffs that weekend, but if they wanted to they could work the schedule so it lands on a week that theres only a few games .... College Championship game at 8 pm ... let the NFL play at 1 and 4 if they want to...

For that matter, the NFL Super Bowl would draw a whole lot more if they moved to Sat night instead of Sunday night.

Black Friday games for the NFL or any Friday game for the NFL should NEVER happen ...
Fridays is for High School football .

Peter King, who broke the story, detailed some of the issues the league has to deal with regarding adding a Black Friday game:

• Competition for sporting eyes that day. The eyes of the nation on Black Friday will be on the USA-England World Cup match in Qatar, going live at 2 p.m. ET.

• There’s a very small window to show the game. The NFL is forbidden from doing a night game on a Friday or Saturday before the second Saturday in December, to protect the audiences at high-school playoff games and college football games till mid-December. So that means the Black Friday game would have to begin no later than 4:15 p.m. ET or so.

• Internal league-office opposition. It’s big, I hear, perhaps big enough to turn down a $2-million-plus-per-team found-money windfall.

• Inventory. This might be the biggest problem. On Thanksgiving weekend, there are already six national TV games on the schedule: three on Thanksgiving, one doubleheader game Sunday, prime-time Sunday and prime-time Monday. How much is too much, particularly on a weekend when there’s likely to be at least two teams on the bye? So Detroit-versus-whoever in the first Thanksgiving game is a traditionally sketchy matchup, but the next five have to be pretty good. There really isn’t inventory to be sure that an extra game can be a solid matchup. And does Amazon want to write a big check for, say, Tennessee-Houston—one good team and one very iffy one?

So if the league okays the Amazon Prime game for Nov. 25, it would likely be wedged after the World Cup and before prime time, without a lot of buzz to it, on an untraditional day for the NFL, with at least one risky team. If the league okays it, it’s a clear sign—among the many we’ve seen in recent years—that money is the ultimate decider in the NFL.

IMHO,

- Black Friday day game has obvious synergy for Amazon, the idea being that you no longer need to go shopping on that day.

- The NBA’s Christmas deal is, like everything else about the NBA, a niche deal. 4 or 5 M people, with no other sports on in an increasingly secular and other than Christian society is nothing.

- NFL games on holidays, or days associated with them like Black Friday, are hard on the hard core live gate fan. Remember its one of only 8 or 9 home games. Making people chose between family and football too many times is not good.

- The inventory problem, too few games left for ST or just for your local station to chose from, on Sunday afternoons is a real issue.

- The ratings for a day game on Black Friday, won’t be that great.

Reactions: BillD1984
On another note, the College game should play thier Championship game on a Saturday, so most people don't have to work the next day ... been saying this for 25 years now.

The NFL has decided they have to have thier playoffs that weekend, but if they wanted to they could work the schedule so it lands on a week that theres only a few games .... College Championship game at 8 pm ... let the NFL play at 1 and 4 if they want to...

For that matter, the NFL Super Bowl would draw a whole lot more if they moved to Sat night instead of Sunday night.
College plays every day of the week it seems during football season.

Peter King, who broke the story, detailed some of the issues the league has to deal with regarding adding a Black Friday game:

• Competition for sporting eyes that day. The eyes of the nation on Black Friday will be on the USA-England World Cup match in Qatar, going live at 2 p.m. ET.
*spit take* While millions will tune into that game, many more would watch the NFL instead. Especially 20 mins into the game if the US plays like they did in the Octagonal. Yes, England has a tendency of being a team that is worth much less than the aggregate value of the players, but the US is not in great shape.
• There’s a very small window to show the game. The NFL is forbidden from doing a night game on a Friday or Saturday before the second Saturday in December, to protect the audiences at high-school playoff games and college football games till mid-December.
That is actually a thing? Have to protect the High School system to develops these prima donnas.
• Internal league-office opposition. It’s big, I hear, perhaps big enough to turn down a $2-million-plus-per-team found-money windfall.

• Inventory. This might be the biggest problem. On Thanksgiving weekend, there are already six national TV games on the schedule: three on Thanksgiving, one doubleheader game Sunday, prime-time Sunday and prime-time Monday. How much is too much, particularly on a weekend when there’s likely to be at least two teams on the bye? So Detroit-versus-whoever in the first Thanksgiving game is a traditionally sketchy matchup, but the next five have to be pretty good. There really isn’t inventory to be sure that an extra game can be a solid matchup. And does Amazon want to write a big check for, say, Tennessee-Houston—one good team and one very iffy one?
For this year? KC, TB, GB, Buffalo would seem to be safe bets. But then that dilutes the weekend schedule, but that is already paid up.
So if the league okays the Amazon Prime game for Nov. 25, it would likely be wedged after the World Cup and before prime time, without a lot of buzz to it, on an untraditional day for the NFL, with at least one risky team. If the league okays it, it’s a clear sign—among the many we’ve seen in recent years—that money is the ultimate decider in the NFL.
It's always been about the money. Sunday Ticket will likely evaporate if the NFL exposes too many more games outside of it.

Amazon now has the Thursday NFL game ....
They have the Friday MLB game ....

Are these games shown outside of Amazon at all ?

On the MLB side of things, did I hear that they have Fridays locked up, meaning All MLB games on Friday have to be watched on Amazon (much like the Fox screw up that cost all of us fan a few years back when we could not watch a Friday Evening game)

That is actually a thing? Have to protect the High School system…
It is indeed a “thing”. In the 1950s NFL teams sold their media rights separately. They had to get an anti-trust exemption from the government to sell the whole league as one package.

This is known as the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, It effectively prohibits games all day Saturday or after 6 (local) Friday before the 2nd Sunday in December.
It's always been about the money. Sunday Ticket will likely evaporate if the NFL exposes too many more games outside of it.
The NFL is going to the well too often with off-time games. Not only does it dilute ST, it dilutes the Fox and CBS packages, because every time the local team in City X doesn’t play on Sunday afternoon is another Sunday afternoon where interest in the NFL is lower in City X.
Amazon now has the Thursday NFL game ....
They have the Friday MLB game ....

Are these games shown outside of Amazon at all ?
Baseball: No. And its on Apple, not Amazon.
Football: It is the NFL’s longstanding practice that games not show on OTA TV, be that ESPN or now some streamer, are shown on an OTA station in the two cities (for the Packers both Milwaukee and Green Bay count) where the teams are located. So, for example, if the Bengals were playing on Amazon or ESPN, they would be on a station in Cincinnati. But not places like Lexington or Dayton or Columbus.
On the MLB side of things, did I hear that they have Fridays locked up, meaning All MLB games on Friday have to be watched on Amazon ..
Apple, not Amazon. And, no. Apple produces 2 games each Friday night. These are ONLY on Apple TV +, nationwide. Since every team plays on Fridays, the remaining 13 games are shown as normal.

So, last Friday, one of the Apple games was Cardinals @ Reds. This game was only on Apple TV +, nationwide. But the Guardians played at the Yankees. That game was shown in the Cleveland area on Bally Sports Great Lakes, in the NYC area on YES, and in the rest of the country on MLBEI and mlb.tv subscription services.

It is indeed a “thing”. In the 1950s NFL teams sold their media rights separately. They had to get an anti-trust exemption from the government to sell the whole league as one package.

This is known as the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, It effectively prohibits games all day Saturday or after 6 (local) Friday before the 2nd Sunday in December.

The NFL is going to the well too often with off-time games. Not only does it dilute ST, it dilutes the Fox and CBS packages, because every time the local team in City X doesn’t play on Sunday afternoon is another Sunday afternoon where interest in the NFL is lower in City X.

Football: It is the NFL’s longstanding practice that games not show on OTA TV, be that ESPN or now some streamer, are shown on an OTA station in the two cities (for the Packers both Milwaukee and Green Bay count) where the teams are located. So, for example, if the Bengals were playing on Amazon or ESPN, they would be on a station in Cincinnati. But not places like Lexington or Dayton or Columbus.

Apple, not Amazon. And, no. Apple produces 2 games each Friday night. These are ONLY on Apple TV +, nationwide. Since every team plays on Fridays, the remaining 13 games are shown as normal.

So, last Friday, one of the Apple games was Cardinals @ Reds. This game was only on Apple TV +, nationwide. But the Guardians played at the Yankees. That game was shown in the Cleveland area on Bally Sports Great Lakes, in the NYC area on YES, and in the rest of the country on MLBEI and mlb.tv subscription services.
Sorry Sam,
Got my Amazon and Apples mixed up there.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: SamCdbs and AZ.

Friday's game was produced by YES but shown exclusively on Prime Video. That would have been the over the air WPIX game but Amazon has the rights outright now.

Years ago, 60 Minutes did a segment on the NFL draft. Maybe mid 70s. Kind of made fun of the couple hundred people who showed up to watch people talk on the phone in a hotel ball room.

My take on is still that. I can log on to any of 100 websites, Sunday and see, from a college perspective who I care about got drafted; and from a pro perspective, who got drafted by who I care about. 20 minutes, tops.

Devoting three days to this is not my thing.

Reactions: madmadworld
We know we are really in trouble, when they draw this sort of crowd for the Mock Drafts.

It's ESPN's MOCK DRAFT 2032!

Years ago, 60 Minutes did a segment on the NFL draft. Maybe mid 70s. Kind of made fun of the couple hundred people who showed up to watch people talk on the phone in a hotel ball room.

My take on is still that. I can log on to any of 100 websites, Sunday and see, from a college perspective who I care about got drafted; and from a pro perspective, who got drafted by who I care about. 20 minutes, tops.

Devoting three days to this is not my thing.
I only watch the first night. That is where the excitement is. After that I will read the full results a week later.

Reactions: Jimbo
I only watch the first night. That is where the excitement is. After that I will read the full results a week later.

Yeah, especially this year. There doesn’t seem to be consensus top picks and there will probably be a significant amount of movement of picks in the first round.